Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJimLay View Post
I've looked under the hood with a mechanic today and mine does not have the plastic intake manifold like my Lumina did. Mine has what appears to be an aluminum intake manifold. With the car having 119,000 miles, I am sure that if it did have a plastic intake manifold... someone replaced it with this aluminum one. Looking under the hood, you can really tell someone took a lot of care with this car.
Ok, I get you now. It originally had a plastic one that has been replaced and upgraded. That is good. Let us know in the future how the car turns out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I would suspect that the plastic was replaced, too, so it should be good to go for a while. And, it has 20k less miles on it than the Taurus did. Win-win!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM

122 posts, read 401,955 times
Yep. I just went out and took a 2nd look at the engine and whatnot and right on top of the engine which appears to be the manifold just says "3100 SFI" and it's solid steel it seems, it's not plastic like my Lumina was. If it was indeed replaced, it was replaced a long time ago as it appears to have been there for a while.

My Buick Century engine looks similar to this:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ScottCos...ostanzo-AA.jpg
As you can see, the intake manifold at the top of the engine is some type of metal, my guess being steel.

This is a picture of my 1998 Chevy Lumina which had the plastic intake manifold... you can easily tell it's plastic by looking at it:
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...b/IMG_0046.JPG

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
According to Wikipedia, the 3rd generation 60 deg V-6 like Jim's car has is subject to intake manifold *gasket* leaking problems, with the mileage you quoted it may or may not have had new gaskets, but I'd keep an eye on coolant level and be on the lookout for any abnormal white smoke from the exhaust on startup.

I'm guessing your intake is aluminum.

Once the intake manifold gaskets have been replaced with the new & improved version, you should not have any problems with this engine. If you are fairly handy you could DIY. Sucks to work on a car over the weekend that you have to finish to go to work on Monday, but it's better than no job and no car. You might find a mechanic who wants the "moonlight" work, anyone who is experienced should be able to do the gasket job in a single afternoon no problem, provided no surprises like bolts breaking off. If they are really experienced they may know what is likely to give problems and anticipate them.

Good luck with the car.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yep. I just went out and took a 2nd look at the engine and whatnot and right on top of the engine which appears to be the manifold just says "3100 SFI" and it's solid steel it seems, it's not plastic like my Lumina was. If it was indeed replaced, it was replaced a long time ago as it appears to have been there for a while.

My Buick Century engine looks similar to this:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ScottCos...ostanzo-AA.jpg
As you can see, the intake manifold at the top of the engine is some type of metal, my guess being steel.

This is a picture of my 1998 Chevy Lumina which had the plastic intake manifold... you can easily tell it's plastic by looking at it:
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1444545~6d146bf2254a538ec752b1a84f34890b/IMG_0046.JPG
Your second link (1998 Lumina) is not working.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Your second link (1998 Lumina) is not working.
Copy the link and open it in a new browser window.. it won't work just by clicking on it

Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
According to Wikipedia, the 3rd generation 60 deg V-6 like Jim's car has is subject to intake manifold *gasket* leaking problems, with the mileage you quoted it may or may not have had new gaskets, but I'd keep an eye on coolant level and be on the lookout for any abnormal white smoke from the exhaust on startup.

I'm guessing your intake is aluminum.

Once the intake manifold gaskets have been replaced with the new & improved version, you should not have any problems with this engine. If you are fairly handy you could DIY. Sucks to work on a car over the weekend that you have to finish to go to work on Monday, but it's better than no job and no car. You might find a mechanic who wants the "moonlight" work, anyone who is experienced should be able to do the gasket job in a single afternoon no problem, provided no surprises like bolts breaking off. If they are really experienced they may know what is likely to give problems and anticipate them.

Good luck with the car.
Ahh! Interesting! Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'll be watching the coolant closely just to be safe.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Copy the link and open it in a new browser window.. it won't work just by clicking on it
Ok, got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive