Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times

Advertisements

What was stolen? Was the item visible from outside the car? Was it something you thought could not possibly be a target - something like a car stereo with a digital tuner and cassette player (in vogue in the 80's, but a dinosaur today)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
More times than I can count. I am from Phoenix, AZ, so that should explain it. Every time it was for my car stereo, amps, speakers etc. It happened at least 4 times that I can remember.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Yes, I have had a few things stolen from cars, though it's been random stuff: sunglasses, a couple of jackets (separate occasions), once a gearshift knob, a battery, and a telephone.

The sunglasses were cheap ones that I kept for passengers, sitting in the console. It was my fault for leaving the top down, which is the same thing that happened with one jacket swiped. Both times, I had the windows up, and would have sworn that the alarm was on and doors locked, but I was in a hurry to run into Jamba Juice while on the phone, and was obviously mistaken.

The gearshift knob was swiped from an airport parking lot, and I was happy that I had a tennis bag with me, since I needed a tennis ball to get home. I didn't even bother reporting that one, since nothing else was missing and I just wanted to get home from a long flight. That one really puzzled me, since I know the car was locked when I left it, but there had been issues with the alarm in that car not going off previously. So, someone unscrewed the wooden knob, and I only noticed it when I went to shift into reverse. LOL Did I say I was tired??

The battery was stolen from a parking garage, where I had to leave the car with the keys in it and the window down, in a semi-unsavory part of a certain east coast city, and I swear it was an inside job. But, I didn't have a choice at the time, though I felt uneasy about leaving the car there in the first place, and they couldn't explain just how a battery went missing. I mean it's not as if I could have driven it in without one...yet, it took a couple of minutes for them to understand that I was not talking about a dead battery or a laptop battery missing from the vehicle, but the actual battery.

The second jacket and telephone were snatched at the same time, and both were on the passenger seat. Normally, I don't leave anything in view in the car, especially a semi-expensive jacket, but it was one of those quick trips to the store that ended up taking thirty minutes, and the only available spot was in a desolate, dark area of the parking lot. I returned to find the alarm going off and my jacket and phone missing. The phone was easy to take care of, since the service was cut within minutes, and it didn't have any personal information on it, but the jacket was one that I have as yet been unable to replace, since it was only made for one season, not part of the regular collection.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-23-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
More times than I can count. I am from Phoenix, AZ, so that should explain it. Every time it was for my car stereo, amps, speakers etc. It happened at least 4 times that I can remember.
Did the stereo include a CD player, at the very least, or was it the kind with a tape player?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
These were custom aftermarket stereos with CD players, amps, crossovers, subwoofers, etc.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
What was stolen? Was the item visible from outside the car? Was it something you thought could not possibly be a target - something like a car stereo with a digital tuner and cassette player (in vogue in the 80's, but a dinosaur today)?
Thankfully, Zhang . . . NO!

Some may consider me "anal" but I am very careful where I park and never, absolutely never, leave anything of even the slightest value in sight to tempt the bad guys.

Hopefully, my good luck continues.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Had some CD's stolen back in '97. Note to self: never leave the windows down and the CD's in plain sight again.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:33 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Nope, never had anything stolen. I don't leave items in plain sight. As for stereo equipment, I learned from my cousins' mistakes. I don't buy aftermarket stereos. I keep the factory stereo. However, I do replace my factory speakers with aftermarket speakers but I keep the factory speaker covers. I also don't bother with amps since I don't listen to the music loud. Thief comes looking in my car and all he'll see is factory stereo. Because I don't drive with my music blasting loudly, he won't know I have aftermarket speakers. Some car audio shop mechanics aren't very trustworthy. They know from the invoice who you are, where you live, and what you have installed. They also know how to get your stuff as quickly as possible. Something else to consider is the quality of your friends and their friends. You show off you system to your friends and family then there's a good possibility that their friends know what you got and will want to steal and sell the system. Do you really need a system so loud and powerful that it vibrates the entire car and can be heard from other people's cars even with all windows rolled up? Back in the 80s when the car stereo contest were getting popular, a local guy did a great custom job. He had a Monte Carlo SS. For normal driving, he had a quality stereo system with a very good sound. For competition, he had custom built boxes for the back seat. He'd unbolt and remove the back seat. He slid the speaker boxes into place and bolt them to the seat's bolt holes with rubber gromits. He wires and installs the rest of the competition system then drive to the competition. He had ear plugs and head phones for the competition. After competition, he removes all the stuff and locks it up in storage.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
2004 some scum smashed out my window in my 97 Taurus and ripped out my aftermarket JVC. Thing that sucked even more is it was right before Xmas and it was blowing snow and freezing and the creep took my ENTIRE HEATER ASSEMBLY with it! Thieves have zero conscience.
So I'm driving down the road at 15 degrees with a broken window, no heat and my Pink Floyd CD was in the player!
Not to mention he/she cut themselves on the glass because there was blood all over my seats and carpet.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
2004 some scum smashed out my window in my 97 Taurus and ripped out my aftermarket JVC. Thing that sucked even more is it was right before Xmas and it was blowing snow and freezing and the creep took my ENTIRE HEATER ASSEMBLY with it! Thieves have zero conscience.
So I'm driving down the road at 15 degrees with a broken window, no heat and my Pink Floyd CD was in the player!
Not to mention he/she cut themselves on the glass because there was blood all over my seats and carpet.
Could have called the police and gotten a DNA sample from the blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive