Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times

Advertisements

If She hadn't so many posts, I'd say troll. The whole story is quirky...no way you could register a car or get insurance had you that many tickets and warrants. Unless, of course, you were driving sans those too. You say you didn't know your license was suspended... Something doesn't sit right. Sorry, no sympathy here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,518 times
I am not driving now, and have been through much personal turmoil for the past 3 years, I am in a better place now and I am getting all my affairs in order. I was married at the time I received the tickets. The car/s I was driving were not registered by me, this isn't a troll post.

No sympathy needed, just some advice. Thanks for your time. I'll hire a lawyer and roll with whatever comes my way.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
You want help but can't even remember where, when, or if you received your tickets? That's messed up man.

And why are you worried about being pulled over and arrested if your license has been suspended for years and years? You shouldn't be driving at all in that case. If you weren't or aren't driving, you shouldn't be concerned about being arrested, unless you are a habitual offender, generally speaking.
I remember the month and the area I got the tickets. Like I mentioned, I was on the interstate and not near my residence so I may have been in one city or another.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,851 times
None of the information you posted makes any more sense with your later clarifications. Below, you say your license needs to be renewed. How can you 'renew' a license that's suspended? You can only renew a license which is currently active.

Also, you say you are worried about being arrested, and that you have been warned not to get caught again. Who were you warned by? Obviously a police officer. Why were you warned? Obviously because you were driving with a suspended license!

Also, you list at least four tickets; but you have so many you've lost track of them! Then you blame your (former) spouse for your inability to keep track of this information. Was your spouse responsible for these tickets? Did your spouse in some way cause you to lose awareness of the situation as you were receiving these tickets? What relevance does your marital status have for your receiving multiple tickets in multiple states, not paying for any of them, and for continuing to drive when common sense tells you that even ONE unpaid tickets typically leads to a suspension anyway?

It's obvious you've been skirting the law for a long time now without any intent of paying for your tickets, and now suddenly feel 'inconvenienced' in having to pay for your fines and tickets now that you want to drive (legally) again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I'll admit I was wrong for putting this off for a long time. I'm at the point now where my license needs to be renewed soon. I'm sure I'll have to fork over my whole tax return (if not more) to pay off these fines. What is my first step?

I've looked at the dmv/county sites for all 3 states and I haven't gotten anywhere. The tickets I have received are long gone, and I don't have any info from any of them. I would like to pay my fines before facing the judge- maybe he/she will go easy on me? Will I have to hire an attorney to go in with me?

The tickets were for driving with suspended license and a few for speeding. No reckless driving, just going a bit over the limit. I haven't gotten arrested yet (knock on wood) just the tickets and warnings not to get caught again.

Who do I speak to to find out how much I owe altogether? I called the issuing state DMV office and all the automated machine tells me is that is it suspended. Do I have to request a driver's record?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 PM

I haven't driven in months, the last time I looked at my license which I only use now as ID- I noticed it will be expired in a few months. I still need an ID to function in this world.

I only brought up my marital status when it was assumed I was trolling. My husband had a car and insurance, I was added onto it. I was not blaming him for not keeping up with my mistakes.

The last time I was pulled over, I was warned to get it straightened out. He told me jail would be the next step and I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I have a total of 6 tickets, first 2 for speeding and not having a license for my current state. I went to court for that and it was thrown out because I did not need to switch state licenses being a military spouse. The speeding ticket was paid, but somehow I must have missed a step because my license was suspended and I did not realize this until I got pulled over a second time. Thinking back now, maybe I was supposed to verify that it was thrown out, the cop waved me away when we were in court and I thought that was the end of it, then left the courthouse.

After getting pulled over a year later I explained it to another cop and he told me there must be a mix-up and to get it cleared up. He wrote me a speeding ticket, and driving without a license since he said the fine was less than driving suspended, That was in another state, I had no idea about the status until I was told by him.

Less than 12 hours later when I was almost to my destination I got pulled over for not making a complete stop, then got tickets for that and a suspended license, plus a stern warning.

I did wait too long to pay these, and that is my burden to bear. I had full intention to pay these tickets. Not making excuses, but I have had obstacles to overcome in the past year that mademy license not as important as everything else. I have a job and a place to live again that I did not have before, and I am ready to pay the dues.

I just came on here for some answers since when I called the DMV I wasn't given all information. I did call after hours, I will call tomorrow during business hours.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Sounds like such a mess that you should retain a lawyer and get a flow chart going of who you owe what to and see if a lawyer can help you knock all those cases down one by one.

Once that is completed and all is clear, your next step should be to hire a driving instructor and to take vehicle dynamics classes on a closed course with a known high performance driving school like Skip Barber or Russell. It's clear you are rather clueless about driving and a danger to yourself and others. I have taught driver training for police and they have told me in regards to pulling people over and writing tickets, what catches their eye is people "working traffic". In other words, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, jerky movements with steering and brakes and so on.

I've done 900000 miles of driving in 18 years. All non commercial and also probably 30k of that is outside the USA. I have never gotten one ticket for anything, anywhere.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
if I were you I would hit the gym and start taking some self defense courses just in case you end up in the slammer also hire a really good lawyer to help you with your case.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I haven't driven in months, the last time I looked at my license which I only use now as ID- I noticed it will be expired in a few months. I still need an ID to function in this world.

I only brought up my marital status when it was assumed I was trolling. My husband had a car and insurance, I was added onto it. I was not blaming him for not keeping up with my mistakes.

The last time I was pulled over, I was warned to get it straightened out. He told me jail would be the next step and I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I have a total of 6 tickets, first 2 for speeding and not having a license for my current state. I went to court for that and it was thrown out because I did not need to switch state licenses being a military spouse. The speeding ticket was paid, but somehow I must have missed a step because my license was suspended and I did not realize this until I got pulled over a second time. Thinking back now, maybe I was supposed to verify that it was thrown out, the cop waved me away when we were in court and I thought that was the end of it, then left the courthouse.

After getting pulled over a year later I explained it to another cop and he told me there must be a mix-up and to get it cleared up. He wrote me a speeding ticket, and driving without a license since he said the fine was less than driving suspended, That was in another state, I had no idea about the status until I was told by him.

Less than 12 hours later when I was almost to my destination I got pulled over for not making a complete stop, then got tickets for that and a suspended license, plus a stern warning.

I did wait too long to pay these, and that is my burden to bear. I had full intention to pay these tickets. Not making excuses, but I have had obstacles to overcome in the past year that mademy license not as important as everything else. I have a job and a place to live again that I did not have before, and I am ready to pay the dues.

I just came on here for some answers since when I called the DMV I wasn't given all information. I did call after hours, I will call tomorrow during business hours.
You say you haven't driven in months, yet:

01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Glitterific
friend of Dbl-r - befriend
1,101 posts, read 595,477 times

Is it worth it to drive through Virginia with the radar on? Sometimes I leave mine on depending on how lucky I feel that day. lol

This was posted not even 10 days ago.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 01-27-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
pay your fines and/or do the jail time. Once you are square with the law, you may eventually be allowed to drive legally again.

Either way, get the #$% off the road.

No sympathy.

agreed!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
None of the information you posted makes any more sense with your later clarifications. ...
I don't believe it either. These states all have recirpocial arrangements now. If he had done what he said he did, and didn't show up for court, they would have issued a warrant and the local police would have picked him up and tossed his butt in jail. Edit: ahh sounds like the story was made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive