Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times

Advertisements

Careful with Subarus with the 2.5 litre engine from 1999-2003.
Head Gasket Problems - Subaru 2.5 liter engine - Phase 1 and 2

ask if the head gasket repair had been done. Very common problem.

I like the Saab 9000 (not 9-5, 9-3) with the 2.3 litre engine. Very reliable engine. Pretty much avoid any Saab at that price point with a v6 engine -- run away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Oh man sgoldie I read your post about the Fusion scammer. If you would of posted that you saw the car listed on craigslist I would of immediately advised you to look out for scammers. Craigslist is well known for being infested with scammers. Google craigslist scams and research it sometime, you really have to be careful on that website. Most of the scammers are easy to spot though if it smells like a skunk it probably is a skunk.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
just curious. what are you basing this on? do you own one, or are you a mechanic, or....?

my experience with them (i've owned 2 and we have others in the family) is that they are great cars.

Mike
I get my overall opinion from the many owner complaints I have read. The transmissions quite often give trouble. The fast depreciation has a reason. Im sure many are solid but the customer complaints have merit.The focus holds the honor of having THE MOST RECALLS IN FORD HISTORY,,,1O AS OF NOW,

Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
She didn't get any money from me. I'm naturally suspicious, but she could have wasted more of my time if I hadn't found those exact same pictures elsewhere. The interesting thing is that there were a bunch of police outside here last night and as the circumstances of the deal weren't straightforward I went out to ask one of them what they thought. They were less concerned than I was, caught up in the legitimacy of the military deployment scenario.

Nothing like having lived in NYC for a red flag education. It comes in handy. These guys sure are clever integrating new technology (fake) security measures into their deals.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The focus holds the honor of having THE MOST RECALLS IN FORD HISTORY,,,1O AS OF NOW,
source?

Mike

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I've never heard of the Focus having a lot of recalls this must have been like 10 years ago. I've been in the 07 Focus's the only thing they are guilty of is having a crappy used car value and a really boring dashboard but they changed that in 08' anyway. I like the Focus but that's just me becaue I prefer small 4 door sedans that get good gas mileage. I like the body style of the 07's better but the interior of the 08's, 09's and 10's.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
I get my overall opinion from the many owner complaints I have read. The transmissions quite often give trouble. The fast depreciation has a reason. Im sure many are solid but the customer complaints have merit.The focus holds the honor of having THE MOST RECALLS IN FORD HISTORY,,,1O AS OF NOW,
Early release Focuses were bad (2000-2001), but by 2002 they had worked the bugs out of them and they became quite reliable. Owner satisfaction on the 2004+ models is very high.

As for the OP, I would suggest going to autos.msn.com and reading the user reviews for each type of car you are interested in. They are brief, and you can usually see patterns of what owners like/dislike about their vehicle. Here's an example: 2009 Ford Focus

Go here for the main website and enter make and model under the "new cars" category to find your vehicle, then when the next screen comes up choose a year at the top. There you will find the average user rating and all comments for that specific year.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
source?

Mike
Ford motor company recall data. The recall for fuel system defect that has caused fired continues even through the 2006 models. Other data =recall 2005 589932-hardware ,42,540 headlights,61944-exterior lights. The sorce for this data is there .. case made .

Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
The 2000 Focus set a record for number of recalls:
Ford Focus Setting Recall Record
And they were for pretty bad stuff, like the wheels falling off.
But they have improved them and later models are said to be much better. But the years the original poster was looking at were the problem years.
I had actually looked at buying one in 2002 -- there's a Focus micro-van that would suit me -- but after checking out reports on them, decided against it.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
The 2000 Focus set a record for number of recalls:
Ford Focus Setting Recall Record
And they were for pretty bad stuff, like the wheels falling off.
But they have improved them and later models are said to be much better. But the years the original poster was looking at were the problem years.
I had actually looked at buying one in 2002 -- there's a Focus micro-van that would suit me -- but after checking out reports on them, decided against it.
Quote:
Ford motor company recall data. The recall for fuel system defect that has caused fired continues even through the 2006 models. Other data =recall 2005 589932-hardware ,42,540 headlights,61944-exterior lights. The sorce for this data is there .. case made .

OP never specified the years he was looking at for the Focus (that I saw).

Yes, the 00-01 Focii had numerous issues. No argument there. But, looking at the years following, it actually had a GREAT track record. So to categorically label all Ford Focus models as 'junk' is a bit much. Just my $.02.

and here's some data that may be of interest. this is a link to a site listing all Focus recalls by MY: http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/Fo...s/Recalls.aspx . Note the VERY high number in 00 and 01 models but the significant drop off after. And, just for comparison's sake, let's take one of the Focus' Japanese rivals, the Honda Civic: http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/ho...c/recalls.aspx . with the exception of the 00-01 MY Focus, pretty comparable numbers.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 02-07-2010 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive