Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,849 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket in the mail for 21453(A) for failing to stop for an official red traffic control signal. I was making a right turn on a red light. Originally, the ticket was in my mom's name because my car is in her name, so she submitted the correction form which identified me as the driver. A week later, the ticket was registered in my name. After researching I realized that doing this was a mistake but it's too late to do anything now. I was caught via camera and I checked out the video online and I did not stop when I made a right turn. Anyways, this is my first ticket after 11 years of driving. Is there anyone that has gotten out of a ticket like this by doing a Trial by Declaration? This really irritates me because the ticket is $456! If anyone has been in this situation and has gotten out of it, then please let me know how you did it. People have told me that if I go to court, I just waste time because in the end the officer just tells everyone to pay the fine. I REALLY want to get out of paying this ticket. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
The best way to avoid paying traffic tickets is to avoid breaking traffic laws. I know that $456 is some hefty change but this is one of those situations where you just suck it up and pay for your mistakes. A judge may reduce the fine so there's always hope for that as well.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Just pay the fine, you broke the law and got caught.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM

867 posts, read 2,140,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The best way to avoid paying traffic tickets is to avoid breaking traffic laws. I know that $456 is some hefty change but this is one of those situations where you just suck it up and pay for your mistakes. A judge may reduce the fine so there's always hope for that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

They have payment plans to I'd think, but yeah not much choice but to pay sorry man

Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times
Hmm

you're gonna have to pay it. probably not all at once, if that helps. work out a payment plan, as another suggested

thats a steep ticket. i have heard of complaints about this in some cities, as when traffic gets backed up for right turns people tend to "coast" through the red lights if oncoming traffic is clear

i used to HATE the red light cams, but have gotten used to them. the times i do have to stop suddenly, i always check behind me (RV mirror) to make sure it is safe from tailgaters or people not slowing down. i figure if i got one because it was unsafe to stop, well, i would just have to explain it to the judge. it also concerns me if i get "stuck" in the middle of an intersection for some unforseen reason and the light goes red. again, i would hope an explanation would suffice

i still go through plenty of "yellows." no way to avoid it tbh. i am usually out of the intersection by the time it changes red, as i glance up and see the light is still yellow as i pass. one time at a WIDE intersection i saw it change red as i passed, but i was already well on the otherside. i'm pretty sure i won't get a ticket for that

i hope

Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Personal responsibility...

think about that for a moment.

You broke the rules, got caught and now you 'want to get out of paying'.

This is part of what is wrong with society today.

No sympathy from me...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
$456 is an absurd punishment for such a mistake. No doubt the OP broke the law but if no one sees anything remotely WRONG about the magnitude of that fine then you are a fool. Only the State of California would rob it's citizens like that. I would say New York would rob in the same fashion, but actually the equivalent infraction is only a $70 fine or so with a hefty surcharge that brings it to about $160... Surprising, because NY is on the same grim path as Cali.

I would deem $456 an un-Constitutional amount. It is only a tactic for Kalifornia to scrounge up all the money it has squandered away over the past decades.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
THANK YOU, iTs and Ferretkona . . . makes sense to me.

Californians are famous for their "rolling stops" when turning right on red and at stop signs. Sounds like they are finally addressing that very unsafe problem.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Personal responsibility...

think about that for a moment.

You broke the rules, got caught and now you 'want to get out of paying'.

This is part of what is wrong with society today.

No sympathy from me...
AMEN, Deep . . . whatever happened to OWNING THE PROBLEM?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Yeah that sucks, but like the others said, you gotta pay it. In Indiana I rarely get tickets, but in California I got one in L.A. for not curbing my tires. $25. I was a bit angry, but after the city official explained to me the reasoning behind the law, I fully understood and paid up.
You really gotta pay attention to the road. Flying through a red light could kill someone, maybe paying this hefty fee will make you more alert? In any case, I do have to agree that $450. is pretty high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive