Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
$5000. and in one slight collision your children fly right through the windshield. Nice engineering. But hey it looks better than the Caravan
That's why its sold in China and not here. If you want it here, add the US required safety equipment, and you'll have your $5k van with its $13 of safety gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Heard they were selling a $600 1 man diesel vehicle, too. The gas mileage is incredible (200+MPG)!!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Heard they were selling a $600 1 man diesel vehicle, too. The gas mileage is incredible (200+MPG)!!
Why would a diesel get 200+MPG Gas mileage?

Fuel mileage, perhaps?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Did you ever stop and think that if they are grossly exceeding the carrying capacity of a motorbike they will certainly do the same for these minivans? They literally load those motor bikes to their physical limits. They will do the same with the minivans. The only problem is that the minivans will be much more laden... far more massive than the bikes and they now have the ability (or will at least feel the security) of traveling at much higher velocities.
The truck it's based on will do 800kg of cargo ... so I suppose if the family weighs over 1760 pounds, then yeah, I guess you can say it's overloaded.

By then, I'm not so sure there's any "high velocity", what with all of 52 hp out of that 3-banger. 12-second van? More like a 120-second van ... so I doubt there's really any issue with (the lack of) passenger safety.

FWIW, the same could be said about the Detroit 3 back in the 60's ... seat belts? Door beams? Passenger cage? What for? Yet, you're alive today, right?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The truck it's based on will do 800kg of cargo ... so I suppose if the family weighs over 1760 pounds, then yeah, I guess you can say it's overloaded.
They will cram as many people and as much goods as they can in them... just as they do with everything now. I don't blame them though, it is all that is available to them.

Quote:
FWIW, the same could be said about the Detroit 3 back in the 60's ... seat belts? Door beams? Passenger cage? What for? Yet, you're alive today, right?
I own a '60s domestic land yacht right now. I doubt I would even spill a drink in hand if I collided with one of those. That was also 50 years ago so I don't see how there is comparison.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM

103 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
They will cram as many people and as much goods as they can in them... just as they do with everything now. I don't blame them though, it is all that is available to them.

I own a '60s domestic land yacht right now. I doubt I would even spill a drink in hand if I collided with one of those. That was also 50 years ago so I don't see how there is comparison.
So Lux, let's say you're CEO of China Inc. What would you do? Raise standards? If so, by how much? What would the impact be?

What about US standards? Shouldn't we all drive Lexuses? Wait, bad example. Shouldn't we all drive cars at least as good as Honda Accords? How much government regulation do you propose?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM

408 posts, read 997,309 times
Quote:
While I understand the problem, I see it as a moot point.
The van is an enhancement to the transportation choices of families.
This is a positive move, even if it's still dangerous, to the Chinese.

There will be many more deaths from motorcyclists and over-crowded vans, but it'll take time for safety regulations to soften the blow of it.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
That was also 50 years ago so I don't see how there is comparison.
You're citing they lack safety ... and I'm citing the same.

YouTube - 1960s Crash Tests

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
You're citing they lack safety ... and I'm citing the same.

YouTube - 1960s Crash Tests
Hmm... no GM vehicles nor any vehicles from 1968. No seat belts, no doors, weak body and frame style cars and very high speed collisions... I'm sure they still fare better than this van would.

Either way I don't really care enough to continue this discussion. If your message is that Chinese safety standards are over half a century behind the rest of the world then I wholeheartedly agree.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Hey, don't shoot the messenger ... it's not my video. Besides, some of the crashes included doors, and upon impact, flew open ... and out went the passenger (who got ran over), the driver, the whole front seat ...

Quote:
If your message is that Chinese safety standards are over half a century behind the rest of the world then I wholeheartedly agree.
... and yet, we've survived being in such "unsafe" vehicles, as it was what we had; it's not any different there. Will vehicle safety get regulated there like it is here? Eventually, I suppose ... but on the corollary, I'd like to see the US regulate construction material emissions too like they do in China. Seriously, and that's why such crap gets shipped here to the US to sell.

But that's a rant from a different forum here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive