Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I've had so far eight vehicles and three of them have been stardard shift.

News, Check The Manual (Transmission): Stick Shift Cars Going Away.

Call it a love affair that began prenatally. I was born mere hours after my mom finished helping my dad install a Hurst floor shifter in his ’55 Chevy. Later, I remember at the age of four asking Dad why he pushed on the pedal every time he moved the lever between the bucket seats of our ’68 VW dune buggy. “That’s the clutch,” he told me. “I have to do that every time I want to change gears with the stick shift.”

Check The Manual (Transmission): Stick Shift Cars Going Away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I will always own a stick shift car. And it will also probably only be an import, never a domestic marque vehicle. If I have to, I will stick with vintage cars. I will buy them from areas outside the snowbelt.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
That's a shame.....

I think everyone should be required to learn to drive with a stick.
You just feel more in tune with the vehicle, IMO

Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
It's absolutely a trend, though, far more pronounced in the US than other places. That said, the only Auto manufacturer I've heard confirm that they won't offer a manual option anymore is Ferrari, and I really do doubt it'll disappear completely, unless the whole concept of the car is laid to rest, but I don't think that'll happen in my lifetime.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
Although it's not a true "manual", Ford is bringing over their dual-clutch Powershift tranny's to the States this yr. It's available in their new Fiesta & hopefully will carryover to other models. The dual-clutch Powershifts don't use torque converters, so they're true "automated" manuals. I think the demand for manuals will be kept alive by sports cars since shifting is one of the few ways that enthusiasts can actually enjoy the art of driving in normal everyday traffic.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:59 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
I think the best manual transmission car I've ever driven has to be a 1995 Mazda Miata M-Edition. This car was a California car brought up here by a friend of my dad's and when I last drove it in October, it only had 44,000 miles on it. That car is so much fun to drive but the stick shift is responsible for about 90% of that. The clutch is light and the shift linkage is short and tight.

They sold the car to a friend and it went back down to L.A. If the friend ever gets rid of it, I told them I get first dibs.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Ho hum.

I once was hardcore auto trans...you know, "feel of the road" and that junk. A few knee issues and clutch pedaling on hour home in traffic awith said bad knee put that to rest. So did the Hurricane Rita evac.

It gets tougher to get a manual trans vehicle to pass emissions now.

I'll take an autostick and eat all the cake I wish when it's time to find a car such equipped.

No, I don't get bored with an auto trans vehicle, either. Parking an F150 in a tight space takes care of that.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
My first car had a stick shift. The next one after that had an auto trans, and now I'm back to a stick. It's a completely different experience. Nothing can change a car's everyday driving dynamics more than swapping to a manual transmission from an auto, or vice versa. An auto makes it much easier to drive smoothly, but after driving a stick for a while, the feedback and throttle response you get from an auto feels artificial and unnatural. The layer of electronics that separate you from the car, well, do exactly that. They separate you from the mechanical aspects of driving. And that's fine, but your motor will only be honest with you if you row the gears yourself.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Blame the traffic issue, but the real issue of why automatics are more prevalent is because folks are (attempting to) multitask way too much instead of paying attention to what really is going on around them. I mean, can you imagine someone trying to talk, text, and eat at the same time behind the wheel if they had to row their own too?!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I've always owned a manual car but for me they are too slow now having driven modern race cars with paddle shifters and flatchange devices. It just doesn't do anything for me, the old manual is out of date compared to the latest technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive