Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

MUMBAI, India — Satish Sawant was proudly driving his first car home from the showroom: A brand-new silver Tata Nano, draped with a celebratory garland of marigolds.

Then there was smoke. And then there was fire.

Read more: Nano car bursts into flames, raising safety fears | World | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Tata Motors website,

Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors (http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,700,650 times
I have a tough time believing that cars from both India & China will be a good buy , or safe choice, for American roads & people.

But , sigh, there will be a few Americans that buy them then suffer for it.

Remember the Yugo or the Subaru F85?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,637,991 times
Maybe it was driver error.

Perhaps they should make a fire extinguisher standard.

No worries of sudden acceleration.

You can grill and drive at the same time.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I have a tough time believing that cars from both India & China will be a good buy , or safe choice, for American roads & people.

But , sigh, there will be a few Americans that buy them then suffer for it.

Remember the Yugo or the Subaru F85?
F85? You mean this little guy?

1970 Subaru 360 Deluxe Coupe For Sale

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,700,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
F85? You mean this little guy?

1970 Subaru 360 Deluxe Coupe For Sale
Yes, it could be. I remember a little different Subaru that was sold off rail cars for $500 back in the 1970's to anyone that would buy them in my area. Darn things broke down almost as soon as they were started so a lot of people wound up stuck with a new yard ornament.

On fella that lived near me had one in his yard for years as a testament to Japanese quality!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,354,277 times
Quote:
Yes, it could be. I remember a little different Subaru that was sold off rail cars for $500 back in the 1970's to anyone that would buy them in my area. Darn things broke down almost as soon as they were started so a lot of people wound up stuck with a new yard ornament.

On fella that lived near me had one in his yard for years as a testament to Japanese quality!
haha that thing get 66MPG that beats a modren prius hybrid LOL

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times
Quote:

Yet we can all see that Subaru makes good reliable vehicles today. I don't doubt that Indian/Chinese cars can be sold here successfully as long they pay attention to market demands (including quality at a certain price). It's not that they aren't capable of engineering great cars, there certainly are very many individuals holding engineering degrees in both countries, the problem they face is the same one that hurt the big three. Saving money and cutting corners in places where people notice does not prove to be a good long term solution.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,564,816 times
Maybe he was transporting a propane bottle in the engine compartment. Saw that in a homevideo show once.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Maybe he was transporting a propane bottle in the engine compartment. Saw that in a homevideo show once.
lol, I don't doubt that it was a fault in the vehicle itself. Car fires are not an unknown occurrence in just about any brand of vehicle although the cost saving measures used in the Nano probably contribute more so than anything else.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,564,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
lol, I don't doubt that it was a fault in the vehicle itself. Car fires are not an unknown occurrence in just about any brand of vehicle although the cost saving measures used in the Nano probably contribute more so than anything else.
I don't doubt it either but some people do put strange items inside their cars today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive