Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

247 posts, read 538,550 times

Advertisements

C'mon you're getting paid to stand behind a counter and try to get people the part they need, it's not that hard.

Obviously there is a problem finding quality help at the wages these companies pay but still you should expect better service and a better disposition from the employees at most of these places.

It seems the management operates with the 'good ole' boy system' or something at many of these places.Yes, there are some competent and knowledgeable employees but they are few and far between and when you know more than the assuming idiot behind the counter 75% of the time there is a problem.If i wanted to talk to someone like that i would go stop by a uhaul center.

It may be hard dealing with rude customers and shoplifters for them but having a rotten attitude and poor customer service is not the answer.Again, upper management is probably much to blame here, they probably treat their employees like crap in this business because of the low profit margins and pay and then the employees pass this apathetic and disagreeable attitude on to customers.Overall it's a prety bad situation and could use an 'overhaul'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,430,405 times
Perhaps the person was just very perceptive and reads people well.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 PM

415 posts, read 1,780,178 times
These people are being paid rock bottom wages, what do you expect?

I found ONE employee at one of these chains who is competent. I visit this store so often and request her personally with such frequency, she literally believes I am in love with her. No lie.

I don't care if she looks like Pat from SNL. She knows her stuff, and I'm going to continue to request that I speak with her EVERY TIME.

But in general, you're getting cheapo parts made in China with slave labor, sold by minimum wage slaves in the US who hate their jobs because they receive no benefits and are treated like disposable diapers by their employers.

Good luck, dude.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Never really had that problem where I live.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,042,039 times
The folks I deal with at NAPA, in two different stores, are great.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
If there is one auto parts store, there are probably a half a dozen. I've never had any trouble finding one that was really excellent, and just ignore all the others.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,880,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
C'mon you're getting paid to stand behind a counter and try to get people the part they need, it's not that hard.
Your screen name says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Perhaps the person was just very perceptive and reads people well.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 AM

46,322 posts, read 27,139,668 times
Did you ever think it was the new generation of "KIDS"...want the most but do the least....

Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
These people are being paid rock bottom wages, what do you expect?

I found ONE employee at one of these chains who is competent. I visit this store so often and request her personally with such frequency, she literally believes I am in love with her. No lie.

I don't care if she looks like Pat from SNL. She knows her stuff, and I'm going to continue to request that I speak with her EVERY TIME.

But in general, you're getting cheapo parts made in China with slave labor, sold by minimum wage slaves in the US who hate their jobs because they receive no benefits and are treated like disposable diapers by their employers.

Good luck, dude.
Well... Are you?

I really don't have much trouble in auto parts stores. Yeah, every once in awhile you run into a bone-head, but you find that everywhere.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Is there an example from the OP here? This really applies to any business that employees entry level workers - Wal-mart, McDonalds, Home Depot.

My problem, owning an old carburated muscle car and having some car skills, is the ignorance of these counter guys in anything to do with the mechanics or inner workings of an automobile when I come in looking for a part. I say I need a mini-starter and their first question is "what year is your car". Then I have to start with the usual "no that doesn't work, I have a modified vette with a modified engine, I need this part - staggered bolt starter, chevy small block, 168 tooth, ....", then they give me the confused blank look.

I've come to expect it and deal with it by now. The key is to shut them up when they start with the "year and model" and tell them EXACTLY what you need. Also - these car parts stores usually have one "car guy" that you can count on that knows about cars, the key is to find that one car guy. Finally, just look at the catelogs they have yourself and order by their own part number. Went in one time looking for a carb shooter part and again ran into the clueless clerk who didn't even know what a carburator was. But she gave me the holley catelog, I looked it up myself, pointed out the part, then no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive