Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM

512 posts, read 1,436,081 times

Advertisements

hi,
i'm 29 male and have been driving my brand new 07 toyota camry 4 cyl since summer of 2006. i bought the car with 0 miles for 20k after all taxes and fees and it now has 35k miles and it was bought with cash.

I'm contemplating selling that and getting a sporty car. I'm thinking a used BMW 335i (2007?) or a BMW 328Xi (2007).
i'd like to keep the purchase price around 25k and would be paying in cash.

a few questions....

1. is this even a good idea? should i just drive the camry until it dies, keep my cash but give up the thrill of having a cool car in my younger years?

2. Are there any other cars (audi?) in the same price range that you'd look at?

3. any other thoughts?

ps. fyi, i drive about 250 miles a week. good driving record. 6 months living expenses in cash that i wouldn't touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM

791 posts, read 1,427,029 times
[quote=sharpie1234;13807055]hi,
i'm 29 male

I'm contemplating selling that and getting a sporty car.

1. is this even a good idea? should i just drive the camry until it dies, keep my cash but give up the thrill of having a cool car in my younger years?

the thrill will still be there later down the road.....keep the camry until the odometer says 300,000 miles.....fuel prices are only going up and the economy is going to tank again even further

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
1. If you have the means and the desire, go for it. You aren't mortgaging your future to buy a car, you are looking to pay cash and have set a pretty reasonable price range. I've owned plenty of "cool" and "sporty" cars over the years and it's something that never loses it's feel. However, if I were 29, had the resources and no kids, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a 4cyl. Camry.

2. Price range may be your issue. The 335i and 328xi with normal options and nav are probably going to run north of $25k. Your Camry is worth about $10k trade in and up to $13k private sale, depending on options. I am assuming you need the money from the Camry sale to be able to spend $25k?

2.a. If you don't need to sell the Camry, then I would keep that and spend the $25k on a more pure sports car. Something like a Vette, Audi TT, BMW Z4, etc. Buy as much thrill as you can and call it a day. Doing this you keep the miles off the fun car and still get all the vanilla goodness that the Camry offers.

2.b. If you have to sell the Camry, then you should get something that gives you some flexibility like the BMW's you mentioned. In that case, also look at older M3's (these also hold their value extremely well), Infiniti G35 in coupe or sedan, Acura TL (Type-S in particular), Cadillac CTS-V or an Audi S4. There are examples of all of the previous cars available in good shape for $25k.

3. Your driving sounds pretty normal and routine, so even though something more fun is going to cost you more in gas, it won't be that big of a deal. The best would be to keep the Camry and buy something fun on the side. If that's not possible then either BMW you listed or one of the cars I listed will provide you a lot more thrill than what you have and are all in your price range.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,414,359 times
If you do not need the AWD for winter performance, then stick with a non "x" BMW. The RWD vehicles tend to have fewer issues, and get better mileage, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times
As some other posters point out, I'm not a car guy, just a practical guy.

I say keep the Camry and drive it until the wheels fall off.

If you'd wanted thrills you should have bought a Prius. I've heard some of those can really fly.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,351,991 times
A smaller engine than a 335i won't cost as much but still be plenty fun. A BMW doesn't need massive engines to be great driving machines, I've had plenty of fun in the 143hp 318i's as well.

I'm contemplating getting a newer BMW once I move stateside too, have to look at the finances though, but I've driven a Corolla for 3 years now, and it'd be a golden opportunity to buy something more fun.

I will never ever ever own a car until it dies I can't fathom a more boring thought than owning the same car for more than 4, maybe 5 years tops.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,144,369 times
Yo why not some tint and a rear spoiler and maybe some grounds effects with the KW intake and YOU WILL BE DRIVIN A COOL CAR.. Yo a little double shot of nitrous will give you that power feeling my man...rice it out

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,572,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I will never ever ever own a car until it dies I can't fathom a more boring thought than owning the same car for more than 4, maybe 5 years tops.
You must like throwing away money then. I have had my 4Runner for 15 years now and still enjoy driving it. I would never get a new car every few years. What a waste of money.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,862,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
hi,
i'm 29 male and have been driving my brand new 07 toyota camry 4 cyl since summer of 2006. i bought the car with 0 miles for 20k after all taxes and fees and it now has 35k miles and it was bought with cash.

I'm contemplating selling that and getting a sporty car. I'm thinking a used BMW 335i (2007?) or a BMW 328Xi (2007).
i'd like to keep the purchase price around 25k and would be paying in cash.

a few questions....

2. Are there any other cars (audi?) in the same price range that you'd look at?

3. any other thoughts?

ps. fyi, i drive about 250 miles a week. good driving record. 6 months living expenses in cash that i wouldn't touch.

Keep it til it dies. That will be NEVER if you take good care of it. Would be a great idea to keep it forever, and when you have saved the money to buy a second car, do that. You can have a daily rag in the runaway camry and a sporty car for hittin the town and cruisin the beach on the weekend

Old 04-19-2010, 05:12 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
OP, what are you trying to accomplish? What region are you in?

I'm with the Goat, I'd keep the Camry as a known reliable every day car, and go find a "real" sports car, 2 cars is not in any way too many.

Although. If you are going to be a car guy, you need to own a garage, you need a house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive