Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

i have always listen to a friend who works on trannies. He bascially said that if pewople changed their fl;uid once a year ;he would be out of business.I have always chnaged the fuid more often than recommended and never had a problem.Transmision fluid worse enemy is heat form everyhting I have read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I just took my car in for an oil change. The service guy came out and asked me when was the last time I changed my transmission fluid.

(I have a 2006 SUV with only $30K miles on it; never pulled trailors, usually not in stop and go trafffic, etc)

He said that I should get it done "every year". He said that if I do it, it will save me from ruining the transmission and paying out $4000". He quoted his price and then started pretty much begging me to let him do it.

This made me suspicious and I told him I will come back another time.

Is there anything wrong with this picture?
A lot of people have their transmissions go out at 30K to 40K miles. Especially people who drive Chryslers. Being semi-paranoid, if I drove a car noted for transmission issues*, I'd change the fluid every 20K miles.

* Consumer Reports ($25 per year online subscription) has an excellent database on owner experiences with various makes and models. It's far more useful than the JD Power initial quality survey, which is helpful only to people who want to know how a new car drives and looks when it's brand new.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 AM

76 posts, read 687,450 times
How much does a fluid change and filter usually cost?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecny View Post
How much does a fluid change and filter usually cost?
If you do it yourself usually less than $50. If you take it in IDK! I don't get ripped!LOL.........

Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 AM

It costs me more because I use synthetic fluid and a Motorcraft filter. My tranny pan has a drain plug and is out in the wide open to get to. A typical fluid and filter change takes me about 8 quarts in my '02 F-250 SD Diesel. The pan bolts I use a cordless drill with a 10MM socket adapter to remove them (((only))) ! Do not use it to reinstall or tighten them. I always use a digital torque wrench to tighten in a alternating pattern per manufacturer specs (about 10-12 FTLBS).

Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 AM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times
every 30K is what ive always done.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I just took my car in for an oil change. The service guy came out and asked me when was the last time I changed my transmission fluid.

(I have a 2006 SUV with only $30K miles on it; never pulled trailors, usually not in stop and go trafffic, etc)

He said that I should get it done "every year". He said that if I do it, it will save me from ruining the transmission and paying out $4000". He quoted his price and then started pretty much begging me to let him do it.

This made me suspicious and I told him I will come back another time.

Is there anything wrong with this picture?
Depends on how much you drive I guess.

I change mine every 15k or so with new filter. Bought with 33k and now has almost 200k and not a problem.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You have to be kidding about going 100k on ANY transmission fluid. It all depends on the climate. In Phoenix, we have to change the fluid ever 15,000 miles. 30,000 miles is right in a colder climate. The mechanic was not trying to scam.
Well, being in the fleet maintenance industry I can find you several hundred thousand vehicles going 100k on tranny fluid. The first line of my post sums it all up, do what the manufacturer recommends and most importantly refill with fluid that meets or exceeds manufacturer specs. Doing it more often is throwing money away, doing it less is risking damage.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive or what you do with it that the manufacturer recommends 15k mile interval, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, being in the fleet maintenance industry I can find you several hundred thousand vehicles going 100k on tranny fluid. The first line of my post sums it all up, do what the manufacturer recommends and most importantly refill with fluid that meets or exceeds manufacturer specs. Doing it more often is throwing money away, doing it less is risking damage.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive or what you do with it that the manufacturer recommends 15k mile interval, but whatever floats your boat.
The problem with that thinking is you won't find the damage until later. Chances are the fluid is burnt by 100k and that means no lubrication and a breakdown in the fluid itself.

In Vegas doing stop and go driving where temps can hit 110+ on the asphalt you can bet the fluid life is shortened. I read somewhere that every 50* (or similar number, can't remember exactly) increase in fluid temp decreases its life by half.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The problem with that thinking is you won't find the damage until later. Chances are the fluid is burnt by 100k and that means no lubrication and a breakdown in the fluid itself.

In Vegas doing stop and go driving where temps can hit 110+ on the asphalt you can bet the fluid life is shortened. I read somewhere that every 50* (or similar number, can't remember exactly) increase in fluid temp decreases its life by half.
Right! How many guys pull their magnet at 15-30K and it is coated with shavings? Like every time! I'm not chancing it as fluid and filters are cheep compared to the guy who has a fit when his mechanic tells him his tranny is toast. Oh, SOB! Duh, like you didn't know dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive