Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It was about a year or two ago that I brought in a broken 3/8 ratchet to Sears and they gave me a new one without question.

Snap-On, Mac and S-K are the ideal tool makers IMO but I have been slowly amassing an auxillary tool collection of exclusively US-made craftsman. They definitely provide the most bang for your buck.
snap-on is one of the most sxpensive but man they are good but like my grandfather always said you get what you pay for and these days that is even more apparent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
snap-on is one of the most sxpensive but man they are good but like my grandfather always said you get what you pay for and these days that is even more apparent
You have to run the guy down in the truck to get them replaced though. I own a mixture of Craftsman and Snap-on. The U.S.A. Craftsman are still the best buy for the money and IDK what Sears these guys are barkin about but mine always replace them for me free of charge. Go to another Sears or ask to see the manger if they aren't being cooperative. One thing that has been occurring lately is coming out with new specialty tools and discontinuing them. If they need replaced it isn't the easiest to find a replacement. Most guys don't have to worry about it because they aren't at my level. I have been buying stuff since I was about 10 and have three large rollaways full and should get a forth!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:26 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Sears had a 260 piece set on sale for $180 + tax that is what I own.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

If you can't do that there is a Harbor Freight tool set for $150 that is similar and will work but sears is better long term.

3 years ago my Volvo was getting long in the tooth. I wasn't making much money at the time but liked the car.

Local shop wanted $600(!) to revamp the rotors and pads on all four corners. I bought a Haynes manual ($15) and used a $10 Chinese tool set I had already owned and did them for less than half using Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. That was my first ever car repair and I did it in the back of a mall parking lot.

A couple months ago I did this:

I've come a long way.

In that picture I was removing the engine/tranny as I needed a transmission on my car. On ebay they go for $400 shipped for a used transmission plus install of around $800.

I bought the car for $250 plus tow and registration (thought I was going to keep it at first) so I had around $480 into it.

What I got off it (approx retail value of used parts):
NEW month old radiator which I needed cause mine was cracked: $200
Used MAF (needed a new one mine was bad as well): $50
A/C compressor circa 2003: $50
Power steering pump: $40
Fuel pump: $30
Relays (fuel, radiator): $50
Alternator: $30
Front O2 sensor (mine was bad and setting the CEL): $20

Sold the car for $100

So not including the tranny I got around $570 out of it, so I got paid $90 to take the transmission. Pretty good deal. Oh and the experience of pulling the engine/tranny out was priceless.

You can save so much money doing things yourself it's not even funny. I spend around $220/year in car mx on my 15 year old Volvo. Insurance, mx, and registration - basically indirect operating costs - are $500/year or what people spend monthly on a car payment. And that hasn't changed whether I was making $8.50/hr or $70. Once you start doing it yourself you see how wasteful it is to pay someone to do things for you.
Great post.. "You can avoid BIG BILLS when YOU got the skills"

Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
You have to run the guy down in the truck to get them replaced though. I own a mixture of Craftsman and Snap-on. The U.S.A. Craftsman are still the best buy for the money and IDK what Sears these guys are barkin about but mine always replace them for me free of charge. Go to another Sears or ask to see the manger if they aren't being cooperative. One thing that has been occurring lately is coming out with new specialty tools and discontinuing them. If they need replaced it isn't the easiest to find a replacement. Most guys don't have to worry about it because they aren't at my level. I have been buying stuff since I was about 10 and have three large rollaways full and should get a forth!
How much do you estimate you have invested in tools and boxes?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Look for starters stay with a duralast set from auto zone, this will get you started, get a floor jack and jack stands. Get the small 1/4 socket set both short and long sockets, they are real handy on todays cramped up cars. Yea sears will replace there junk sockets, but man it takes to much time, start your repairs on sat. morning gives you plenty time to solve any problems, get the haynes book for your car, find a good pawn shop that has tool, you'd be surprised the money you can save when you learn what to look for, my advise snapon, proto, williams and any old usa brand tools that look good, course it takes time with pawn shops as they don't always have what you need. Auto zone has a small tool made specificaly for springs on rear brakes, way worth the money. JM2C's

Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
How much do you estimate you have invested in tools and boxes?
I stopped counting years ago and I really don't know. Ahhhh........too damn much!LOL.........

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,994 times
I have often thought of just getting an old car or truck that has lots of space in and around every nook and cranny, so that I can actually get my hands into things and learn about vehicle maintenance and repair. I really hate taking my vehicle to the shop, but I don't want to mess something up and then have nothing to drive, ya know? My last experience in trying to 'repair' something on a vehicle was not a good one. Years ago I bought a 1972 Mercury Montego ('72 is my birth year), and I LOVED that car. Anyway, I went and bought a manual for the car and a carburetor repair kit. Before I knew it, I had my carburetor removed (was trying to clean it piece by piece, IIRC) and never got it reinstalled. My parents wound up having the now-NOT-running vehicle towed away to the junk yard.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I have often thought of just getting an old car or truck that has lots of space in and around every nook and cranny, so that I can actually get my hands into things and learn about vehicle maintenance and repair. I really hate taking my vehicle to the shop, but I don't want to mess something up and then have nothing to drive, ya know? My last experience in trying to 'repair' something on a vehicle was not a good one. Years ago I bought a 1972 Mercury Montego ('72 is my birth year), and I LOVED that car. Anyway, I went and bought a manual for the car and a carburetor repair kit. Before I knew it, I had my carburetor removed (was trying to clean it piece by piece, IIRC) and never got it reinstalled. My parents wound up having the now-NOT-running vehicle towed away to the junk yard.
pick up a used 87-96 ford F-series/full size bronco and 88-98 chevy PU or full size blazer/yukon all are easy to work on find parts for and have tons of after market support. all come with old school drive trains that are long lasting and durable.

Another choice for something more sporty is a 87-93 fox body mustang or the 94-04 SN95 version mustang GT with the classic 5.0 HO/ 4.6 SOHC or 93-02 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 or a LS1 in the later models all have huge aftermarkets and parts can still be found in junkyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive