Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
1. It's measured from a standing start. I shouldn't even have to explain how ridiculous that is.

Just because it's different, as long as every car does it the same way, then it's an accurate test.

Quote:
2. Drivers (or changes of such) are never recorded (or at least published); the driver behind the Stig persona has changed over the years and is reported to be multiple people across each season.
So what? The Stig sets a lap time only a couple seconds off F1 drivers. Whoever it is, it's obvious they are a good driver.

Quote:
3. The track itself is a joke, with no penalty for going off or cutting corners; try doing that at the N'ring. Both the stars in the reasonably priced cars and The Stig in performance cars can be seen barely keeping it on the track as they take the last corner and cross the finish line immediately afterwards. No genuine track I know has a finish line barely yards after a corner. It allows you to attack that corner faster than normally possible because there is no penalty for going wide after it (if the clock has stopped, who cares if you're in the gravel - or grass in TG's case - by then).
Going off the track hurts the time, in come cases by a lot. The track was designed by Lotus, so it's hardly a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I think you're missing the point of Top Gear. It's not supposed to be factually accurate but rather, it's supposed to be fun and in some cases, childish. It achieves that wonderfully and I love the show for it.
That's exactly what I'm saying. However, and this thread isn't the only example, apparently many impressionable people like to take TG and JC quite seriously/factually/literally.

Once you lose the notion that it's highly informative in any factual, objective way, it's highly entertaining.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. However, and this thread isn't the only example, apparently many impressionable people like to take TG and JC quite seriously/factually/literally.

Once you lose the notion that it's highly informative in any factual, objective way, it's highly entertaining.

If you want hard and fast statistics and numbers, it's a terrible reference.

And they never claim to be objective. That's the point...it's entirely subjective.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Uh, incorrect. It's unscripted and their performance data is top-notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post

And they never claim to be objective. That's the point...it's entirely subjective.
So which is it? Is their data 'top notch' or is it a 'terrible reference'?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
So which is it? Is their data 'top notch' or is it a 'terrible reference'?

Their performance data - i.e. the Power Board times (which is all they really supply) is top-notch,

But as I said -

Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere

They aren't going to do things like skidpad numbers, a breakdown of the 0-10, 10-20, 20-30, everything that other car testing magazine / shows do. If you're looking for hard performance numbers, it's a terrible place to look.

If you want a subjective review of the good and bad qualities, it's a great show. Silly at time, but that's the charm.

And the Power Board, for me, is a more useful bit of information than scattered numbers, because it takes everything in to account. Performance, handling, chassis...everything goes in to it.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,280 times
When and what channel does Wheelers Dealers air?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
When and what channel does Wheelers Dealers air?
It's on Discovery's HD Theater) along with Chasing Classic Cars and all teh car auctions).

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
I love Wheeler Dealer. I wish they would mess with the format a bit because it does get tired, but it's a great show. The wife always pokes her head in while I'm watching and asks if the deal is 'Crackin' or not (which, of course, it always is). I don't see Mike as a blow-hard so much as a guy who's been in the biz for a bit and knows his stuff. Arrogant? Maybe, put he passes on a lot of valuable tidbits. Edd's the man, though I always feel bad that he never gets to drive the finished product (I'm sure he does; they just don't air it). Of course, being the giant he is, he probably can't fit in half of them anyway.

They also have a show called Auto Trader with the same guys but a different format. I liked that one, too, but don't see it as often as Wheeler Dealer. Too bad.

Mike

Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Anyone remember Wrecks To Riches on The Discovery Channel?

Wrecks to Riches : Turbo (http://turbo.discovery.com/wrecks-to-riches/wrecks-to-riches.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive