Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As far as the ship that launched the missile, only the weapons control officer, the fire direction control officer, the radar officer and one or two radar operators, the ship's captain and executive officer, and a few others would have knowledge
I'm not sure exactly the Navy "ratings" involved but what about all the enlisted men who were responsible for; storing, transporting to the missle rails, loading, arming etc. And then of course all the ones who would (had it not been "fired") unloading, transporting, checiing back into stores inventory etc.

I'm not sure about the Navy, but in the Air Force I'd say an easy 50-70 troops to get an AIM-9 from storage to the "locked and loaded".

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,686 times
As an airline mechanic, I disagree with the official finding.

The official report says that the center tank was heated by the airconditioning packs causing an over temp, and over pressure situation that was then ignited by 115v AC that somehow managed to jump over to the 28v DC fuel quantity system.

They completely ignored the fact that there would be ZERO oxygen in the center tank.
Jet-A is very difficult to ignite. It takes the perfect fuel air mixture to get any kind of flame. Having spent over 3000 documented hours inside of the fuel tanks, I have opened my share of fuel plates. The first thing we do is throw a sniffer in to check the O2 levels. I have never seen one over 2% upon opening. We attach ventilators to suck out the fumes before entering.

It's very common to run on an empty center tank. (Last fueled, first emptied.) An empty 747 tank would have 50-100 gallons sloshing around in there. As it heats up the fuel would vaporize, pushing all air through the vent system to the wing tanks. I'll say it again. THERE'S NO OXYGEN IN THERE.

A few random musings....
We call the new fuel tank wiring in our Boeing fleet the "anti-missile mod".

One time I was cutting titanium fasteners with a high speed cutoff wheel. The entire tank was lit up with white sparks. When I finished, I looked into the next bay. There was 2 inches of fuel in there.

A buddy of mine keeps an NTSB report in his tool box. So far, I have only read the section that documents every detail of 135 witnesses claiming to see a missile. They were airline, and military pilots, people on boats, and people on land. It's a very interesting read. When he gets back from vacation, I'll have more details.

If we were to do a study on airline crashes, we would find that airplanes with jet fuel in them burn. They don't explode.

Was TWA 800 brought down by terrorists? I don't know that.
Was it brought down by friendly fire? I don't know that either.
Did the center tank explode because of a spark caused by bad wiring, like the official report says? Not a chance in hell.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

304 posts, read 888,573 times
Default Black Helicopters

A friend of my hairdressers neighbor has a son who went to school in New Jersey in 1986. He talked to a woman who's husband was related to a man who fishes in the Florida keys.

The fisherman talked about a friend of his who was fishing in Maine and talked to a guy who swears he saw a big red missle streaming towards an airliner and almost got his glasses on before a fog bank moved in and obscured his view.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Blame it on Bush - isn't that the standard scapegoat from the left?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times
250 eye witness saw a missile go from the ground up towards that plane.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
As an airline pilot, I agree with this, the official finding. Conspiracy theories be gone!
How confident are you that your airplane won't be the next one to blow itself out of the sky?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
50-60% full, I can understand. But an empty tank when they are just starting to go over the big pond?
Center tank. There's 6 additional tanks - 3 in each wing.

ETA: I belatedly realize I'm quoting a very, very old post.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-25-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
A friend of my hairdressers neighbor has a son who went to school in New Jersey in 1986. He talked to a woman who's husband was related to a man who fishes in the Florida keys.

The fisherman talked about a friend of his who was fishing in Maine and talked to a guy who swears he saw a big red missle streaming towards an airliner and almost got his glasses on before a fog bank moved in and obscured his view.
And I took an evening class at a community college where I knew Steven Spielberg's niece's friend. Seriously.

Let's see. This happened in 1996. It was either a 747-100 or a 747-200, with quite a few years of service under its belt. I think it was a mechanical, as reported. People need something to talk about. What about the American DC-10 flying out of Chicago O'Hare in 1979 and Alaska 261 flying out in the Pacific out by Malibu/Hueneme? Mechanical. It's sad, but it happens.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 AM

Coverup is not really out of the question. All those witnesses reported seeing an upward light - people can be threatened into silence - i really don't see how people can buy the "official" story and still fly regularly. Are you that confident that a fuel tank on "your" airplane won't cause your death?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Coverup is not really out of the question. All those witnesses reported seeing an upward light - people can be threatened into silence - i really don't see how people can buy the "official" story and still fly regularly. Are you that confident that a fuel tank on "your" airplane won't cause your death?
Any video's of this missile attack?
Usually the the USA is up front with friendly fire incidents so i cant think of a reason they would do a cover up of this particular incident.
I'll go with the official story about the shorted wiring igniting the central fuel tank.
Where was Obama when this event occurred?maybe he can be implicated someway.C'mon all you Obama haters make the connection..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation