Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,447,085 times

Advertisements

Since i travel alot for work with just a Carry on suitcase and a daypack filled with items i need for personal use when traveling .I have.notice that some of the airline's socalled carry on size and rules are very stange from one company to the next as i point out to the delta lady who was checking me one day last week to come home for the week

I had one person at the gate tell me i would have to check the daypack then i asked for her boss to come and explain to me the socalled rules after i produce the company carry on rules . Her boss read what i have printed out and i do keep those sheets with me for those times when it handy to have a hardcopy of the rules with me . Her boss said it was ok as long as it would fit under the seat in front of me .In the daypack i keep my ipad and it case along with meds and other items i need when i travel .

The only other thing i do take on the plane is my jacket i wear when i'm going home back to the city .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times
Rules even are different from country to country and among different airlines.
Somewhere I found a blog that said generally accepted by all of them was no greater than the following:

A carry on suitcase with linear measurement (add together height, width, and length) of 42 inches.
A personal item with linear measurement of 35 inches. Some airlines do not accept a piece of luggage with this measurement.

A lot of rolling luggage in the US is 45 inches, so be careful.
Some online sites give the linear measurement, which is better than some of my local stores in which the piece, if it gives measurements, makes you add up the dimensions yourself and the clerk is clueless.

I totally discredit claims that the piece of luggage 'meets the requirements of most carriers'.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
Have there been any changes in the rules for carry-on luggage since 2013 started?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,620,372 times
Flew out of LaGuardia last year my carry on was good at check in and my wife's was too, get to TSA and my bag they claimed it was too big and I needed to check it so I went to the other TSA gate and no problem. Also this was the return leg of the trip, Riddle me that batman.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM

147 posts, read 119,230 times
One would think that if there are new rules for bags, it would have some uniformity to it and everyone would adhere or follow the rules and not get differences of opinions from gate to gate. They must be hiring inexperienced or untrained people at airports. Would be nice if they'd all get on the same page.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Flew out of LaGuardia last year my carry on was good at check in and my wife's was too, get to TSA and my bag they claimed it was too big and I needed to check it so I went to the other TSA gate and no problem. Also this was the return leg of the trip, Riddle me that batman.
Really?
From what I'd read the regulations regarding luggage size (and weight sometimes) were peculiar to individual airlines, so at one airport you may meet the regulations for one flight and not for another.

A linear size of 42" for carry on and 35" for the personal item, I read, are the minimum and should get you through almost anywhere, though the personal item for some airlines) should look like something you would carry daily on a street like a backpack or a notebook messenger bag.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
As long as it fits through the x-ray machine, it's absolutely NO BUSINESS of the TSA what size your luggage is or how much you have with you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,122,522 times
...just flew Delta for the first time in since the new baggage rules. Apparently no one is enforcing the size regulations.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 AM

147 posts, read 119,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As long as it fits through the x-ray machine, it's absolutely NO BUSINESS of the TSA what size your luggage is or how much you have with you.
Liquids, matches and lighters are now permitted?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Kickinit View Post
Liquids, matches and lighters are now permitted?
What do they have to do with the SIZE of luggage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation