Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times

Advertisements

I was a flight attendant for a major US carrier from 1989 to 2008, and laid over in London for [only] 24 hours, between working the flight from San Francisco to London and then back again, London to San Francisco, Many times during those years. To make the jet lag even more painful, my next trip, 24 hours after arriving home, would usually send me the opposite direction, example: a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong.

I also spent much of my time off in the UK and Ireland.

I always felt fine flying to the UK, but always felt like I had the flu upon arriving back in the US, no matter how long (2 weeks) or short (24 hours)

Then on a flight to New Zealand, a passenger gave me these homeopathic tablets Buy No-Jet-Lag Homeopathic Jet Lag Prevention Tablets & More | drugstore.com

I've seen them at Whole Foods and Trader Joes, you can Google for other outlets, and I'll be damned, they kept me feeling "normal" my life would have been Miserable without them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you need assistance, just ask., preferably in a shop, where they aren't busy, Harrod's is always helpful. You can always preface with "I must be more jet lagged than I thought, I was just so excited to be in London ..."
I wouldn't strike up a conversation "on the street" except to ask "is the tube to the left or the right" sort of inquiry, I don't like to appear at all vulnerable on the street.

I will use mirrored windows, or glass windows to watch behind me, not constantly, but it is a good way feel sure no one has taken too much of an interest in a tourist.

I've never had a problem anywhere I lived or traveled, but I'm observant, and the couple of times I didn't feel right about a situation, I walked into a crowd of people, and then quickly turned to face the person I wasn't comfortable with, and said "I DON'T KNOW YOU, [very important] but is there something you wanted?"

Don't walk into your hotel IF you Really think someone is watching you. Flight crews did get scrutinized quite a bit after 9/11 but I don't think that will apply to an average tourist/visitor.

Be sure the credit card your taking is "the one" accepted in the UK and Portugal, or you will need to plan ahead to get the cash you need.

I loved traveling by self, all of my best adventures, or invitations to experience life as a local, were only possible because a one on one, simpatico had been established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM

147 posts, read 284,827 times
I live in Sydney and fly back and forth to Ireland and the US a lot and the jet-lag can be terrible after 29+ hours of travel from Syd to Dub. Best thing for jet lag is to get out into the open fresh air.

Do not stay indoors and sleep early. You have to work with the environment you are arriving into, so when you get into London in the morning, act like its a normal day. It's not that long a flight and you can sleep overnight which helps. You'll be tired still and probably want to conk out around 6pm but it'll get better as you go, by day 3 you'll be fine.

Ask your doc for some Xanax or valium for the flight. Also melatonin is great too. You can use it on the plane to help you sleep and in the UK if you are having trouble getting to sleep. It's fab!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Also melatonin is great too. You can use it on the plane to help you sleep and in the UK if you are having trouble getting to sleep. It's fab!
I tried melatonin first, and a few times ... it induced, what I can only call, Lucid Nightmares that I couldn't wake up from.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM

400 posts, read 1,917,824 times
Hmmm. Doesn't sound good about Melatonin pills. I've used Xanax before for anxiety (after my father's funeral) and it worked well to calm me down. So, I may go with that idea and ask my doctor for a travel prescription.

Wow, I don't think I could handle a 29 hour travel day like you do, Olliesyd. That's brutal!

But yeah, the consensus in my thread from all the posters seems to be this: "stay awake and be active as soon as the plane sets down, and fight the need to sleep until night time."

I think the closer I get to my trip this summer, the better prepared I'll be for it mentally too. I really need a vacation adventure to decompress from 3 years of intense graduate studies. If I could stay longer in London (but can't for financial reasons) I would as I don't think 2 weeks is near enough time to really explore it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your jet lag stories and for the advice. It helps me to hear how other people deal with it.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Some people swear by the supplement Melatonin, for sleeping on the flight over.

If you stay at a B & B, you could probably get a lot of info from the proprietor about where to go, what to see, and how to get there. That would be worth something. They may allow you to use the kitchen to prepare a late meal (it's not room service, but it's something).

There is no loneliness issue. You should be too busy to even think about it. Solitude is a luxury. Enjoy it when you can get it. B&B's usually have friendly patrons and staff. If you're worried about loneliness, a B & B might be your best bet.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM

During that 2 week period are you also going to include going to Lisbon, at some point, to visit your friend?

That may be a way to stretch your travel budget based on variables like, your friends' comfort about having anyone, not just you, stay at her place, ... your ability to be a good, flexible house guest, etc.

That could be another thread, how to be the perfect house guest ... I've found that anyone staying [for free-minus a nice dinner, or the like) needs to be aware of what matters to their host, NOT what you think should matter, and act accordingly.

I have one friend that Loved that I paid to have her maid come an extra day in the the month I visited, about 2 hours after I left. I left my room immaculate and even cleaned the bathroom, toilet and all, while she was out so I didn't "embarrass her, but to her, it showed that I understood that her house, and it being in a certain order, was important to her.

If they say you can stay a week, suggest 5 days instead, unless you have specific plans together on a certain date.

If you say your leaving at 5PM Nov 5th, then LEAVE, even if your flight is delayed or cancelled, have the funds necessary for a night in hotel, if needed.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has a fear of flying alone like I do, and what you did to overcome that fear that worked. (I don't drink alcohol, so please don't suggest I drink.) I have no idea why I'm afraid to fly alone. I did it when I was in my 20s to China and had no problems. But I haven't been on a plane since then, and that was a long, long time ago. I guess it's the fear that I have no one to rely on when the plane lands and I have to deal with jet lag and the fact that I'm traveling alone. I feel awkward and self-conscious, instead of adventurous and excited about traveling solo again.

This summer I want to fly to London, England as a treat to myself for finishing my grad school program finally. I know the flight will be about 8 hours from the Midwest and that there will be jetlag involved. I read online somewhere that I should try to adjust my body to London time about a week before I fly - by changing my sleep schedule - does that even work? Will that help me adjust to the time change faster if I do that?

I plan to be in England for about 2 weeks.
Most of my flights I have flown alone. Since you will be traveling to an English speaking country, you shouldn't be fearful as you will have no problems reading signs and communicating with the locals.

If you are able to change your sleeping habits before you leave to match your destination time zone more closely that will help you with the jetlag. But it will probably still take you a few days to adjust to the new time zone.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I tried melatonin first, and a few times ... it induced, what I can only call, Lucid Nightmares that I couldn't wake up from.
That sure is odd. melatonin is a natural supstance which your body produces at night depending on your clock/schedule taking a melatonin pill just adds some more into your system to help your fall alseep quicker. I would highly reccomend taking melatonin or just pop two zzquils. Take something weak that will help you fall asleep but wont keep you alseep.

As for jetlag what others have said it right. 5 hours should not be too bad to get used too, what you NEED to do is stay awake when you get there. Have breakfast, have lunch and dinner when you should and IMO stay awake as long as possible into that night. Sure you can go to sleep at 8pm but then you might wake up at 2am. Go have a drink, check ou the city at night and get into bed at 11pm.

As for traveling alone, seems to be less about flying and a lot more about being alone period. Just enjoy the trip. Keep busy.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times
If you were on a private jet you would be flying alone Good thing that won't work for you imagine all the money you will save!

You will be with 300 of your new best friends on an airliner

Can you sleep while traveling? You know yourself best and a window seat might provide just the place to rest your head while flying. Be prepared to sleep....for me that means a quality pair of comfortable earplugs and an eye mask.

Make sure you check out a website like seatguru.com so you pick the best seat you can for the trip.

Drink plenty of water on the flight to stay hydrated and sleep as much as you can even if it is a few hours. When you land in Europe stay awake the best that you can. Unless you are a master napper and really do a 20 minute nap when you check into your hotel. Then just stay up all day and go to bed at the normal time at your destination.

Going East is generally a larger impact to your body clock and going west will be much much easier to deal with.

Enjoy your trip!I am happy to see you pushing outside of your comfort zone for the trip!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
I was an airline pilot for Pan Am for 28 years, and I can tell you that there is no way to get around jet lag. It's the result of our circadian rhythm. It's going to affect you; it's a matter of how best to live with it. Here is one of many articles dealing with the subject: Sleep and Circadian Rhythms - Sleep

I would advise against taking any type of drugs to attempt to lessen the effect of jet lag. It could be dangerous to your health. Your body produces melatonin when it needs it (based on light/dark and a time schedule, (so it doesn't work to wear blinders to make it dark to produce melatonin), so don't try to induce more by taking pills. Let your body take care of itself.

Other pilots and flight attendants I know have tried every method known, and each person will find the method of dealing with jet lag that works best for them. It is really and individual thing.

Here is my suggestion, and it's what I did. My method was chosen so as to maximize my rest. Business travelers usually have a business meeting the day they get there so they aren't able to use my method, and they'll try others. When my wife traveled with me, she would stay on my schedule and it worked for her. She learned that by sleeping when she was tired actually allowed her to enjoy the trips more.

On the airplane, drink plenty of water
; orange juice is fine, but I suggest avoiding coffee or other drinks with caffeine. The reason for the water is to keep your body hydrated. The airplane air is very dry and will dehydrate you, which will make you feel bad.

Go ahead and sleep as you can on the airplane
. You won't sleep too well because of the airplane noise, vibration, and you're sitting almost upright in the seat.

When I would get to the hotel at London, around 9-10 am, I would go to bed because I was tired and sleepy. I would get up around 2-3pm, take a shower, then go for a walk, and if I was going to a play that evening, I would get the tickets then go for an early dinner. I would be back in bed around 11pm and would be able to sleep all night and wake up around 6-7 am, depending on what time my pick up (ride to the airport) was scheduled. If I had a 2 day layover in London, then I would be able to function all day long doing whatever I wanted to do. I would just be operating at 50% capacity.

My point is that "rest", and "hydration" are the most important factors for you to consider.

You've traveled before so you shouldn't worry about traveling alone. Just don't stray off the beaten path and you'll be ok. Read up on how tourists can be safe in various cities around the world. There's plenty to do in London to keep you busy.

The body usually adjusts to about 1 time zone per day. There's a 5 hour time difference between New York and London, so in 5-days you'll be back to normal, but in 3 days you'll be feeling good.

leanansidhex and others have given you some good advice. So weigh it all and determine what works best for you.

Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation