Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Well, we can add Reykjavik to SF and LAs list of nonstop destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
As for the new California routes, WOW plans to fly to San Francisco five days a week and to Los Angeles four times a week...
WOW: Icelandic discounter known for $99 fares to fly to L.A., San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:40 AM

An interesting distinction for SFO once these 3 new routes begin service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Street
United said Thursday that next year it will add 787 flights from San Francisco to three new destinations --- Auckland, New Zealand; Tel Aviv, Israel; and Xi'an, China...

...Once the flights begin, San Francisco will become the biggest 787 hub in the U.S., with 787 Dreamliner service to nine cities, also including Chengdu, Houston, Osaka, Shanghai (pending government approval), Taipei and Tokyo Haneda...
United (UAL) Builds a Boeing 787 Hub at San Francisco With Nine 787 Destinations - TheStreet

Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM

So I was thinking about comparing East Coast to/from Asia/Pacific VS. West Coast to/from Europe/Africa/Middle East and decided to draw the dividing line as the India/Pakistan border--meaning all flights from the West Coast all the way to Pakistan and all flights from the East Coast all the way to India.

Yes, Im aware that many flights actually fly over the North Pole and not directly across the ocean, but I found this an intriguing idea, from one coast to the other side of the opposite ocean.

Anyhow, here are my findings. Please let me know if I missed something at JFK and elsewhere because I simply used Wiki.

East Coast Across the Pacific(Asia, Pacific):

Boston(BOS): 4 nonstop destinations

Hong Kong, Beijing-Capital, Shanghai-Pudong, Tokyo-Narita

Philadelphia(PHL): 0 nonstop destinations

Washington Dulles(IAD): 3 nonstop destinations
Beijing-Capital, Tokyo-Narita, Seoul-Incheon

Baltimore(BWI): 0 nonstop destinations

Washington Reagan(DCA): 0 nonstop destinations

Charlotte(CLT): 0 nonstop destinations

Miami(MIA): 0 nonstop destinations

Orlando(MCO): 0 nonstop destinations

Atlanta(ATL): 2 nonstop destinations
Tokyo-Narita, Seoul-Incheon

Newark(EWR): 5 nonstop destinations
Beijing-Capital,Mumbai, Hong Kong, Tokyo-Narita, Shanghai-Pudong

New York-La Guardia(LGA): 0 nonstop destinations

New York-John F Kennedy(JFK): 11 nonstop destinations

Beijing-Capital, Delhi, Mumbai, Tokyo-Narita, Seoul-Incheon, Hong Kong
Taipei-Taoyuan, Shanghai-Pudong, Guangzhou, Manila, Sydney

West Coast across the Atlantic(Europe, Africa, Middle East):

Los Angeles(LAX): 23 nonstop destinations
Dublin, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Dusseldorf, Paris-Charles De Gaulle, Rome-Fiumicino,
London-Heathrow, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Dubai-International, Addis Ababa,
Abu Dhabi, Madrid, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm,
Doha, Jeddah, Riyadh, Zurich, Manchester(UK), Istanbul-Ataturk

San Francisco(SFO): 14 nonstop destinations
Dublin, Paris-Charles De Gaulle, London-Heathrow, Dubai-International,
Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich, Copenhagen, Zurich, Istanbul-Ataturk,
Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Reykjavik, Delhi

Oakland(OAK): 3 nonstop destinations
Azores, Oslo, Stockholm

San Jose(SJC): 2 nonstop destinations

Frankfurt, London-Heathrow

Seattle(SEA): 6 nonstop destinations
London-Heathrow, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris-Charles De Gaulle, Dubai-International,
Reykjavik

Portland(PDX): 3 nonstop destinations
Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Reykjavik

Las Vegas(LAS): 9 nonstop destinations
London-Heathrow, Frankfurt, Zurich, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Glasgow, Manchester(UK),
London-Stansted, London-Gatwick

San Diego(SAN): 1 nonstop destination
London-Heathrow

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-13-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
what about Qatar or Isreal etc from the EC

also the Atlantic is shorter accross than the pacific so the extra 3000 miles is more significant

for example SFO to London over the Atlantic is 5,385 miles while PHL to DOHA over the Atlantic is 6,800 miles

SFO to Tokyo is 5,100 miles

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
In the Center of the US you have three major international gateways as well: Chicago, DFW, and Houston. Minneapolis-St. Paul and Detroit also deserve a mention.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
what about Qatar or Isreal etc from the EC

also the Atlantic is shorter accross than the pacific so the extra 3000 miles is more significant

for example SFO to London over the Atlantic is 5,385 miles while PHL to DOHA over the Atlantic is 6,800 miles

SFO to Tokyo is 5,100 miles
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter because if there are 11 non-stops from NYC to Pacific Rim and beyond destinations, including all the way to India, then if there were demand for these flights from other E Coast cities there would be these flights.

So far as I can tell, the "bias" for W Coast in this metric is that there are simply still more demand generators and places for US citizens to go in Europe than there are in Asia. So it would make sense that there are more flights from LA/SF across the Atlantic than there are flights from E Coast across the Pacific to Asia. The bias isn't in the distance.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
I also think planes in this country have more wind resistance when they fly west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream#Aviation

Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
^^^Ok, but that doesn't provide an explanation for NYC having 11 non-stops and other E Coast cities having just a couple at most. Clearly, it's moreso about demand. If there is demand to go from Miami to Tokyo, there would be a flight from Miami to Tokyo. If there can physically be a flight from Atlanta or New York to Tokyo, then there is a physical possibility of having a flight from Miami to Tokyo. But the airlines have deemed that there is not enough demand to field an operation to host a non-stop flight from Miami to Tokyo.

How does reasoning escape people so much from this forum?

Also, don't forget that return flights from Europe/Middle East go WEST, and return flights from Asia to the US go EAST. All flights have an "uphill" and "downhill".

Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Ok, but that doesn't provide an explanation for NYC having 11 non-stops and other E Coast cities having just a couple at most. Clearly, it's moreso about demand. If there is demand to go from Miami to Tokyo, there would be a flight from Miami to Tokyo. If there can physically be a flight from Atlanta or New York to Tokyo, then there is a physical possibility of having a flight from Miami to Tokyo. But the airlines have deemed that there is not enough demand to field an operation to host a non-stop flight from Miami to Tokyo.

How does reasoning escape people so much from this forum?

Also, don't forget that return flights from Europe/Middle East go WEST, and return flights from Asia to the US go EAST. All flights have an "uphill" and "downhill".
It's about money at the end of the day. Demand, as you mentioned, is a huge part of that equation, but if airlines lose more money flying certain routes due to increased costs, that certainly is a "reasonable" factor to consider when we're talking trans-continental and intra-continental flights.

So yea, I have no idea why (if we're to believe stats by Wikipedia via Monty) the comparatively smaller population and economically weaker West Coast metros have more international flights "going the other way" . I assume there's a whole host of valid reasons, and I was merely offering a plausible factor. You wouldn't think our capital, with three airports, would be overshadowed in this regard by Boston (which is actually more northerly come to think of it), so who knows--this isn't one of those threads to get all bent out of shape over.

Last edited by qworldorder; 11-13-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
miles do matter

for example can a plane make and be finacially viable direct to Asia froma Miami or Orlando as an example?

there are more EC flights to Europe and more WC flights to Asia - a big driver is distance, profitablility and demand relative to price and desire for direct etc

its not truly an apples to apples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation