Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM

2,842 posts, read 3,217,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I'm no expert, but I really can't see the debris spotted on satellite from Australia are the plane. I think this is just another lead that leads nowhere... But I guess we will find out soon enough!
I heard this morning that the company that owns the satellite can do much higher resolution of its images, and has probably done so this time. But US law prohibits relasing very high resolution satellite images, due to privacy concerns. This makes sense where people are living. I imagine they might have released them to relevant searchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
What the hell is it doing down there in South western Australia? And it's 2000km west of it EVEN.

This is just bizarre.

I think it's NOT the plane. Or at least, I believe it won't be. Why the hell would it go that way, to Australia's southwest?
That's the big question right now; why was it flying south? But searchers are saying the debris they're seeing could be from shipping containers that may have fallen off a passing ship. Still no clue as to whether it's related to the plane.

West of Australia was what one of the arcs they calculated from the original pings by satellite indicated, but only Australia began looking there last week. Everyone else was focussed on the Northwesterly arc.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM

878 posts, read 739,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the big question right now; why was it flying south? But searchers are saying the debris they're seeing could be from shipping containers that may have fallen off a passing ship. Still no clue as to whether it's related to the plane.

West of Australia was what one of the arcs they calculated from the original pings by satellite indicated, but only Australia began looking there last week. Everyone else was focussed on the Northwesterly arc.
The image is projected at 24 meters (78ft). The missing schooner that disappeared 9 months ago sailing from New Zealand to Australia was 70 ft long. I've now heard two reports this could be the schooner that went missing with 7 people aboard during a bad storm.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
The image is projected at 24 meters (78ft). The missing schooner that disappeared 9 months ago sailing from New Zealand to Australia was 70 ft long. I've now heard two reports this could be the schooner that went missing with 7 people aboard during a bad storm.
Are the people on board the schooner alive?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,061,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I wonder if there are any submarines in the area helping in this search? They can 'see at night' and they probably have killer sonar capabilities. They have to know what's around them.

I'd be willing to bet the US Navy has task'ed any sub's in the area to go look around, They will never say they tasked them, but if they find something it will be communicated back, and someone will then look and/or generate a Sat pix that says go look there with a plane.

The "Find" will not be attributed to the sub.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,311,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Anyway, the point was, that RR monitors those engines 100% of the time they are operating. The WSJ reported that RR indicated the engines on the Malaysia 777 were running normally for 4 to 5 hours after the reported disappearance. Malaysia denies this. We shall see.
What I heard is that RR offers real time engine monitoring as a paid service but Malaysian Airlines was not a subscriber. The pings were merely hard-coded handshaking - the engine saying I'm here and the sat saying I see you - but that no actual data was transmitted. That's why we have no info about the aircraft speed after the transponders went off.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM

878 posts, read 739,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are the people on board the schooner alive?
They haven't been heard from since last June when they sent a message they were headed into a storm with rough seas.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,400,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
We obviously aren't watching an episode of NCIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The photos they are showing right now are from DigitalGlobe, a private company. They get their photos from various sources, including their own satellites IIRC, but definitely not from the US Military/CIA/NSA/NRO. Plus, there is probably not much reason to randomly photograph that part of the ocean with the best assets they have. Of course now that they have a better idea on where to look, maybe they can do that, but I doubt they let those photos become public at full resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I heard this morning that the company that owns the satellite can do much higher resolution of its images, and has probably done so this time. But US law prohibits relasing very high resolution satellite images, due to privacy concerns. This makes sense where people are living. I imagine they might have released them to relevant searchers.
On all that "resolution of photos" talk -
Here's an item that will give us all pause. NCIS isn't all that outlandish after all

http://www.youtube.com/embed/13BahrdkMU8?feature=player_embedded

They may have exact data where it went off. They may or may not photograph large segments of the ocean, but then again, pirates and drug smuggling happen all over the place, so who knows?

What we have essentially is one of the following:
1. Fire
2. Technical difficulties
3. Pilot error
4. Conspiracy of some sort to hijack plane
5. Terrorists
6. Wag the dog *
7. Aliens stole the plane right out of the air and have it in some parallel universe.

* What we could do to rule this out (or in) is look to recent government mischief in the past 2 weeks to see if they have been up to something that would have been reported had we not had this as headlines. Just a thought...
"B3 bomber? There IS no B3 bomber! I don't know how these rumors get started!"

Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
IF the debris is the plane, then there had to have been two turns executed away from the original flight path:
(1) A turn west, which was programmed into the autopilot BEFORE the "good night" message. This took the plane into the Bay of Bengal, and north of Indonesia
(2) A turn south, from the Bay of Bengal to where the debris was found.

Those two turns are inconsistent with a fire in the cockpit or any other malfunction. They were human caused. You can argue that turn #1 may have been to go to the nearest airport (at Langkawi) due a problem, but then why continue westward past the airport and make a 2nd turn that goes south towards open ocean?
A program entered could contain more than one turn. A fire in the cockpit doesn't mean it disabled that function.

Planes fly from take off to destination making many turns without human intervention other than the watch what is going on.

There is a lot of desperation on the part of officials and others to find that the pilot had to have done it all. That doesn't mean it didn't happen that way but it doesn't mean it did either.

You can buy remote control toys that can be programmed to make all kinds of turns and so on. The systems on a 777 can do far more than make a single turn via auto pilot. We simply don't know, for all we know the pilot could have started to enter a new flight path because of an emergent problem, got halfway through and because of the problem entered the course changes and then passed out.

We just don't know.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,792,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A program entered could contain more than one turn. A fire in the cockpit doesn't mean it disabled that function.

Planes fly from take off to destination making many turns without human intervention other than the watch what is going on.
OK, so why would they program a turn that takes them away from safety and towards open ocean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation