Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've been following this story and I don't think we're going to hear anything with any validity until the parts of aircraft are found, and the FDR, and the CVR are recovered. We also have to remember that this incident happened with a government-operated airline, so we have no idea how this investigation will be conducted.

Searching for the missing aircraft could be very much like trying to find a needle in a large grass field.
Same thing was said of AF 447, and yet the wreckage, black boxes and a good number of the passengers were found. True it took a very long time but none the less...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,540,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why is that? Whoever is going down with the plane probably isn't financing the venture.
Because then you're at the mercy of being carried by whichever airline you chance wind up with. If it were a deliberate attack, out of passion, or to make a statement, targetting a specific person, or group of people it seems like they would have a certain date or carrier in mind. Unless they just want to do something like that to experience it, but that's pretty rare.

I really wish people would just take ten and wait it out. 227 people on that plane; enough passengers to be a study group, really. There's probably people with an interesting or strange story on any plane that big at any given time.

I don't know anything about airlines but think about the families of these people. Imagine you were just waiting for someone to find a missing plane carrying your son or whomever and people were all like "some terrorists probably did it" or "it's a coverup!". Yeah, it's strange that there was little indication of what happened to the plane while it was flying, but please respect the situation a little bit.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 PM

21,163 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Flight Data Monitoring" does exist and is used by many airlines to send real-time flight data and systems status back to HQ.

Flight operations quality assurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SKYbrary - Flight Data Monitoring
Guardian 7 Aircraft Flight Tracking and Data Communication - Guardian Mobility
That's good to know. Thank you. The only FOQA that I am familiar with stores the data onboard. Only after the plane lands is the data retrieved from the plane.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That's good to know. Thank you. The only FOQA that I am familiar with stores the data onboard. Only after the plane lands is the data retrieved from the plane.
\
This is from the latest official press release from Malaysia Airlines:
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...dark-site.html
"All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed."

Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) is a digital datalink system for transmission of short, relatively simple messages between aircraft and ground stations via radio or satellite.

In addition to the interfaces for the flight management system and the flight data acquisition and management system, the industry started to upgrade the on-board maintenance computers in the 1990s to support the transmission of maintenance-related information in real-time through ACARS. This enabled airline maintenance personnel to receive real-time data associated with maintenance faults on the aircraft. When coupled with the flight data acquisition and management system data, airline maintenance personnel can start planning repair and maintenance activities while the aircraft is still in flight.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6017529/
"AFAIK 777s have ACARS, that is the hardware, as standard. However the hardware doesn't do anything unless you activate the reporting service. This is a paid service which it seems MH [Malaysian Airlines] does not have. Thus no automated ACARS reporting."

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,994,797 times
In all 19 pages of this thread, there is only one mention of an alien abduction, and that was more of a comical nature.
I tend to believe this could be a very real event concerning this airliner.
Let's take a look at what IS known:
The plane was cruising at 35000 feet, seemingly without a problem.
One minute it is there, the next it is gone without a trace.
A plane traveling at the speed it obviously was traveling, if it suddenly nosedived into the sea, or land, would leave some sort of evidence of a plane crash..
If it exploded in flight, the remains of the aircraft would fall to the sea, or land.
At this point, all we have is speculation, nothing more.
There was no communication between the plane and ground which would back up the abduction theory.
If it were an alien abduction, obviously the craft would be equipped with jamming devices, rendering communication from the plane impossible.
How do we earthlings know who, and what's is out there?
Just because we don't have that kind of technology, doesn't mean some other life form doesn't have it.
This is a vast universe, how could we possibly know what goes on beyond our human efforts in space?
I an not saying this is what happened to this airliner, but I am also not saying it didn't.
Bob.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
There are reports that relatives can call passengers' cell phones and they ring but don't pick up. If the phones were off, destroyed, or out of cell phone range then they wouldn't ring more than once or twice - if that.

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Passengers' Mobile Phones Ring But Not Answered
Vanished Malaysia Airlines flight leaves relatives with anger and phantom phone calls - The Washington Post
One of the most eerie rumors came after a few relatives said they were able to call the cellphones of their loved ones or find them on a Chinese instant messenger service called QQ that indicated that their phones were still somehow online.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There are reports that relatives can call passengers' cell phones and they ring but don't pick up. If the phones were off, destroyed, or out of cell phone range then they wouldn't ring more than once or twice - if that.

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Passengers' Mobile Phones Ring But Not Answered
Vanished Malaysia Airlines flight leaves relatives with anger and phantom phone calls - The Washington Post
One of the most eerie rumors came after a few relatives said they were able to call the cellphones of their loved ones or find them on a Chinese instant messenger service called QQ that indicated that their phones were still somehow online.
Yes, and because of that, it is being said that the phones are not under water. The plane could have been hijacked, the communications jammed--maybe by a cell phone type of device. That plane could be on land somewhere.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,173,860 times
what if it's a hoax as in never a plane to begin with

or worse a ploy to tie up a ton of international resources in preparation for something worse where we least expect it and ar least prepared

I suggest this because there hasn't been lots of coverage, or I have missed it, of the family members of the 239 passengers. Passengers from all over surely there is crying , public vigils, interviews with those left behind etc...

ALIEN Abduction?
TRIBULATION...and we got LEFT behind?
North Korea and some new weaponry that cause evaporation of targets?

Some sot of time warping vortex thing that transport folks to a parallel reality...

Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,153,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
what if it's a hoax as in never a plane to begin with

or worse a ploy to tie up a ton of international resources in preparation for something worse where we least expect it and ar least prepared

I suggest this because there hasn't been lots of coverage, or I have missed it, of the family members of the 239 passengers. Passengers from all over surely there is crying , public vigils, interviews with those left behind etc...

ALIEN Abduction?
TRIBULATION...and we got LEFT behind?
North Korea and some new weaponry that cause evaporation of targets?

Some sot of time warping vortex thing that transport folks to a parallel reality...
There has definitely been coverage of the families of the missing people, some of it very intrusive:

Agonized families await answers over missing Malaysia Airlines flight - CNN.com

Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
At first I did think it was a very high possibility of terrorism, but not anymore. It doesn't really add up. If it were terrorism, someone would have spoken up by now. It makes 0 sense to commit a terrorist attack if they do not make any claims that they did it.

No one really has any clue, there hasn't even been any debris found yet so it's impossible for us to know whether the plane came apart midair or whether it crashed in one piece.

If I had to guess.. I'd go with a loss of cabin pressure. The only issue I see is that it really does not explain how it just disappeared off the radar..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation