Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,791,344 times

Advertisements

I have to say that it is not just the Malaysians showing incompetence in this thing - last week a Chinese plane found debris that had the right color markings to be 370 but they did not have a camera handy to take a picture and then nobody was able to find it again. And now they forgot to record the ping they detected and cannot find it again. Sheeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,663,951 times
Quote:
The cynic in me suspects it the Chinese looking to be seen doing something.
Just the fact they are there shows they are doing something. I really hope they have found it and wondering if they are searching on their own because when it is found, they want to be the ones to examine/investigate it rather than turning it over to Malaysia which they are suppose to do.
Can't blame them for not wanting to and sure the families don't want that either.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,561,849 times
I just watched a clip that said that the Chinese are not reporting right to the Australians, the central command in Perth about their findings, but rather are reporting to China first. Then Beijing decides what information to release.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Old 04-05-2014, 05:42 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,317,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Just the fact they are there shows they are doing something. I really hope they have found it and wondering if they are searching on their own because when it is found, they want to be the ones to examine/investigate it rather than turning it over to Malaysia which they are suppose to do.
Can't blame them for not wanting to and sure the families don't want that either.
The protocol now would be to turn it over to the investigation being led by Australia, not Malaysia. China doesn't seem to want to cooperate with anyone at the moment.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,822,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The protocol now would be to turn it over to the investigation being led by Australia, not Malaysia. China doesn't seem to want to cooperate with anyone at the moment.
China has been pretty mad since the very beginning.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,987,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I just watched a clip that said that the Chinese are not reporting right to the Australians, the central command in Perth about their findings, but rather are reporting to China first. Then Beijing decides what information to release.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
There is no legal requirement for anyone to report anything except to their own government. We do the same thing and saying otherwise would be inconsistent with how things really work.

There are several countries called "accredited" partners in the search effort and they are all equal. Each have as much responsibility and authority as the other. Australia is the obvious speaker because the Malaysians have lost so much credibility.

It wasn't a Chinese pilot flying the plane. All the liability is on the Malaysians. If it was an American pilot, who believes any info wouldn't first get to the USA before being dished out to everyone else?

The Chinese have a responsibility as does any country, to first report to itself because there were so many Chinese on the plane. Does anyone really believe that any country wouldn't demand it's searchers first report to their own country and then perhaps concurrently to the search leaders?

Come on, we all would like to think everyone is working toward the same goal but things aren't always as they seem. Considering the fiasco of information snafus that have come before, distrust is rampant.

Lets remember too that this all came from some "clip" and who has proof of what is and what is not going on?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM

But look at the time that was wasted. If they had reported to the Australians, the Australians could have notified other ships or aircraft in the area to head toward that spot to look.

I don't understand your point about if it had been an American pilot. It was not a Chinese pilot, so why are they being uncooperative?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,317,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
But look at the time that was wasted. If they had reported to the Australians, the Australians could have notified other ships or aircraft in the area to head toward that spot to look.

I don't understand your point about if it had been an American pilot. It was not a Chinese pilot, so why are they being uncooperative?
Many of the countries involved are regional and military rivals who don’t want to show what technology they have—or don’t have. There are only a handful of countries with technology to do this sort of thing, and China and Malaysia are not among them. Part of China’s PR issue is that they don’t want to highlight the limits of their military technology to the world ... and their own people.

There are differing reports as to what kind of equipment was on the ship and if it was even capable of picking up signals at that depth. That they were searching without a recorder on standby by is silly and beyond amateurish. The whole thing sounds fishy (no pun intended).

Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM

I am just sick of all the BS.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,763,901 times
I believe that the transponder transmissions from one or both of the black boxes have been detected (but not located). As a former Anti-Submarine Warfare Officer (ASW) in the USN, I can say with some confidence that, unless the search authorities act very quickly to put ASW aircraft over these locations very, very quickly (before the transmissions stop) plus some surface ships with towed array passive sonar and a heliocopter platform and facilities for an ASW helicopter and/or, better yet a nuclear attack submarine, the location of the source(s) of these transmissions will not be found for a long time - until a remote control submersible vehicle with advanced sonar can conduct a search.

HMS Echo of the Royal Navy could be a proper surface ship, otherwise one of the US Spruance Class DDGs could also perform this job, maybe even better. A US attack sub would be even better, by far, due its more sophisticated passive sonar capabilities and operating depths! I have an educated hunch that at least one such boat is already involved. However, very few people would know this, as their movements and missions at any given time are highly classified, even within the USN.

It would be sad (and at least somewhat likely) that this type of search operation has already been conducted in secrecy and has turned out to be a wild goose chase (or is still in process). However, we may never know this due to the veils of secrecy that, for whatever reason, have been thrown over this investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation