Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:03 PM

325 posts, read 580,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
What a cluster....if the Malaysians had done anything while the plane was FLYING OVER THEIR COUNTRY ON THE WRONG HEADING we would not be in this fubar.

jeezuz
A true CF! The Malay govt didn't want intervention by outsiders. The last blip was on Thai military radar - so naturally they should have started at that point. Villagers in both Penang and the Maldives reported a low flying heavy in their respective areas. Notably absent from the initial search was the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,788,882 times
Any of the theories able to be removed?

Maybe this one: Aliens from space grabbed the plane.

As the Malaysian authorities said recently, if the Indonesians were asleep at the wheel and the plane, in a very short period of time, did not go around Indonesia but straight over it, then the plane could have ended up near Antarctica.

Indonesian and Malaysian radars are not to be assumed accurate at all.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,311,992 times
Why are the major news media outlets refusing to discuss this Bay of Bengal discovery?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,049,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why are the major news media outlets refusing to discuss this Bay of Bengal discovery?
Exactly. Even with several key words in a search, it was hard for me to find this story. When I clicked on the link provided above (thank you mag32pie!!), I was expecting to read "an unnamed source close to the investigation"...so I was surprised to read what I thought seems a fairly legit story. The gentleman in the video also seems straight up. And yet...nothing on the big boys' news channels.

I understand certain facets of an investigation have to remain off limits to the general public...but that doesn't mean deliberate lies and the encouragement of wild speculation in the media are acceptable. Two weeks after the plane goes missing, this company tells what they know. Unbelievable that it just now comes out. Makes you wonder who is really picking up the tab for what so far seems to be a deliberate wild goose chase.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I'm not good at this stuff, does it follow the handshake pings going north?
If it was "way up in the Bay of Bengal", then it would have been close to the NW arc of the handshake pings.
Remember, originally authorities were convinced it was heading NW toward Kazakhstan and Xinjiang (the Uighur hijacker theory). So they may have been right, but the plane crashed before crossing Bangladesh and heading toward Central Asia. Maybe. Maybe there really was a hijacking, but it was thwarted, and the plane crashed?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
What a cluster....if the Malaysians had done anything while the plane was FLYING OVER THEIR COUNTRY ON THE WRONG HEADING we would not be in this fubar.

jeezuz
The interesting thing is that someone in the Malaysian military did say (requesting anonymity, as he was unauthorized to say anything at the time) that he personally saw the plane passing over Palua Perak. So Malaysia knew, but they weren't doing anything about it, oddly.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 59,361 times
The ex Malay PM was as much stating so the other day.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 PM

834 posts, read 1,223,228 times
US President Obama said after meeting with Prime Minsiter Najib Razak in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, April 27th:
"There should be full transparency in terms of what we know and what we don't know, how the process is proceeding."

In undiplomatic terms the Malaysian government is being told by the US that they don't tell the truth. And he tells it in public because he couldn't sway them behind closed doors.

The US is also very aware (to some extend at least) of what is not being told, otherwise they would not let the prez go out on such a limb. There was no objection or protest voiced by the Malay government after the prez statements either.

Question is of when the US officials will leak what they know to the press.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
US President Obama said after meeting with Prime Minsiter Najib Razak in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, April 27th:
"There should be full transparency in terms of what we know and what we don't know, how the process is proceeding."

In undiplomatic terms the Malaysian government is being told by the US that they don't tell the truth. And he tells it in public because he couldn't sway them behind closed doors.

The US is also very aware (to some extend at least) of what is not being told, otherwise they would not let the prez go out on such a limb. There was no objection or protest voiced by the Malay government after the prez statements either.

Question is of when the US officials will leak what they know to the press.
There was an article that appeared weeks ago, saying that China said upfront they won't tell everything they know or how they know what they know, as it would be a security breach to reveal that, and other countries (I don't recall now, but probably the US, agreed with the sentiment.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Exactly. Even with several key words in a search, it was hard for me to find this story. When I clicked on the link provided above (thank you mag32pie!!), I was expecting to read "an unnamed source close to the investigation"...so I was surprised to read what I thought seems a fairly legit story. The gentleman in the video also seems straight up. And yet...nothing on the big boys' news channels.

I understand certain facets of an investigation have to remain off limits to the general public...but that doesn't mean deliberate lies and the encouragement of wild speculation in the media are acceptable. Two weeks after the plane goes missing, this company tells what they know. Unbelievable that it just now comes out. Makes you wonder who is really picking up the tab for what so far seems to be a deliberate wild goose chase.
It is interesting that when the satellite pings were calculated they thought the plane had either crashed in The Bay of Bengal or in the Indian Ocean (just Google "Malaysia Airlines Bay of Bengal" and you'll see a bunch of different hits dated around mid-March stating as such). I have to admit, though, math usually wins these battles more than any news report. I suppose it is possible someone got a minus and a positive sign flipped and assumed it went the southerly direction instead of the northerly direction. If I had a nickel for every time I flipped a sign the wrong way...

Using Doppler Shift for location tracking is actually not a new technology. Using it to determine satellite pings is definitely different but the theory behind it is not new at all. Some military aircraft still use Doppler Shift technology as a navigation device. It's not as accurate as GPS or Inertial Navigation but it is definitely useful.

I would like to point out that just because the mainstream media doesn't report on something, it doesn't mean there's a coverup or some sort of government interference or anything like that... I know it's hard to believe but the mainstream media does actually try to vet some of their stories before they write them. Before I'm crucified for that statement, let me make it abundantly clear that they don't seem to censor, in any way whatsoever, what the opinions of the talking heads are and that often gets mistaken for "news" when it's not. One is an opinion piece and the other is supposed to be a well researched and documented story. That doesn't mean that always happens but it's not uncommon for smaller affiliates to report on things before bigger outlets pick it up.

It's also not uncommon for those smaller affiliates to get details wrong or even the whole story wrong. So, if you hear something from a local station like "Toothless redneck spotted a UFO in his backyard the night Malaysia Airlines went missing," but CNN or FOX didn't cover it, that doesn't mean they're in cahoots with the aliens or the government. It just means that the words of a toothless redneck don't necessarily mean much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation