Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times

Advertisements

One thing that I evidently missed was how they have determined the plane made that 180 turn and headed on the course all the models they show track it on. How do they know that was the course it took ? There doesn't seem to be any variation whenever they put up that map on TV.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Would a 777 make a good delivery system for a Nuclear Bomb ?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Too many pieces of the puzzle now......I guess past radar blips now being reported from last week are finally being put together from the various countries.

As far as which way in the Indian Ocean they are saying either north or south.

The final scuffle in flight 93 also produced rapid elevation changes.

Hopefully lessons learned from this will show the need for an international type of NTSB that leads an event like this taking charge of collecting information.

This was a rare event where a plane was lost in an area with so many different country's. Logistically this is a nightmare now having to direct all of the search and rescue to a new area quite some distance from where they were searching. Who will lead this.....will they finally let the US or China take lead?

As far as now washing the list of passengers intel wise which country will this fall on and do they have the technology at their disposal as the US does?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:12 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If this were a rogue pilot or co-pilot (or both), the rogue could wait for the other crewmember to use the bathroom, lock the door put on his oxygen mask, which I think is done anyway when the pilot is alone in the cockpit. He could then turn off the devices for tracking, and if possible, slowly let the air out of the plane and kill everyone else on board. Even if the masks come down in the passenger cabin, they were out of cell phone range when it started. By the time they would be in range the passengers would have succumbed to a lack of oxygen. I don't think the passenger masks are designed to last more than the time it would take to get to a lower altitude.

This is how the whole scenario could have begun, but who knows if the pilot ever made it to anywhere he could successfully land.

Any experienced pilots here that could refute this scenario?
With more information coming out, this seems more and more likely. Apparently, right after the transponder was switched off, radar indicated the plane rose to its max altitude. This could have been an attempt to hasten the demise of everyone else on board. The higher the altitude the less oxygen is available. Afterward the plane came back down to about 23k feet. This could be due to the pilot having an issue getting enough oxygen through his mask at the higher altitude.

Even if I am correct, we still don't know why it was done or where the plane is. It may have splashed down or landed somewhere remote enough not to be seen.

At the least, this incident illustrates a need to have locating devices that would not be accessible from inside commercial aircraft, so they cannot be switched off.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It certainly has extraordinary range, but I there would be simpler methods. Everyone would be on alert for a rogue 777 entering their airspace from a distance. I think shipping a nuke or dirty bomb on a ocean freighter and then putting it in a small private aircraft would be easier and less noticeable.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
No telling.......with this not happening on US soil or originating in the US the passengers are not going to be investigated as they would if the US was conducting it. 911 happened but we learned about the terrorists past and the days leading up to the events including flight schools in Florida and the rest of the history of the hijackers days leading into the event.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
It certainly has extraordinary range, but I there would be simpler methods. Everyone would be on alert for a rogue 777 entering their airspace from a distance. I think shipping a nuke or dirty bomb on a ocean freighter and then putting it in a small private aircraft would be easier and less noticeable.
Assuming the 230 passengers are still alive.........

Put that bomb in the Belly, load up the passengers and send it on it's way to the target.
Then the countries would have to decide if they take out the 230 passengers not knowing 100% there is a bomb on board.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:32 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,844 times
Quote:
Assuming the 230 passengers are still alive.........

Put that bomb in the Belly, load up the passengers and send it on it's way to the target.
Then the countries would have to decide if they take out the 230 passengers not knowing 100% there is a bomb on board.
No country allows unknown plane in their territory. And known planes are searched first. Who will put the bomb and fly from where to where???

Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Two courses of events, crew were part of it or hijackers. If crew were involved there would of been no loss of control of the plane (different elevation data), so if it had been hijackers, how did they gain access to the cabin so easily?

How was it that the co pilot could invite women in on an earlier flight? Was there that much complacency and feeling of security on those routes that the crew felt immune to anything happening on their flights?

This was the perfect storm over a HUGE area with too many country's not piecing the information they had collectively until this weekend. Sat photos, radar, every country had a piece of the puzzle and everyone was looking in a different area. It is so hard to move ships and refuel planes over this size of area and each country involved needs it's own place to refuel.

If this had happened in or out of the US our intel would have already washed the passenger list by now and had some credible leads. I think the US was caught off guard last week as all out intel right now is concentrating on the Ukraine. We now are depending on all of those countrys to point us in the right direction to use our superior technology in the right place........it's one thing to have the tools to do the job, but it is another if you have no job!

I believe once all the country's involved share their info this will move faster........but the size of the Indian Ocean is still a going to be a problem.

I am a child of the sixities and I still remember those space flight where the Walter Cronkite would have someone on from NASA with models explaining the stages of the mission and how problems were fixed.

You would have thought (unless I missed it) a news agency would have had a genuine pilot, maybe retired so there is no conflict, walk us through shutting the plane down (beacons, transponders, etc.) and how the security door to the cockpit works. Also if there is Wifi on the plane in that area.

If this was Linsy Lohanns trial we would have had expert lawyers coming out our butts.

For CNN to promote breaking news yesterday that analysts had discovered the plane went into the Indian Ocena and either went North or South as a major break though just goes to show you how little substance is left in the news.

Gone are the investigative news reporting days where the who, what, where, when and whys are given!

This plane could have been found a lot sooner if it was not that all countrys involved did not share their intel right away.....and then again the airlines country definitely did not know what to ask for or who to ask for to get decent intel...........they thought they had a crash close to home.
CNN has had the most substantial investigative reporting on this flight that I've ever seen so maybe you missed it. They've actually interviewed and flown with the pilot of this plane before this incident happened. They've had expert after expert, pilot after pilot interviewed to explain every possible scenario and thingamajig on an airplane. If you'd been watching you would have learned a LOT.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldgirl View Post
*Their
You grammar/ spelling police are pretty annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation