Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM

256 posts, read 313,330 times

Advertisements

When I travel in Europe, I always get child seat belt, but I was surprised when I didn't get one on my flight from USA to Canada. I asked why, the stewardess even went to ask the captain, but he said that they don't provide child belts, because it is not allowed in the USA. How come? Isn't it dangerous to fly that way?

My child is still not 2 years old, but I am afraid to travel this way, I guess I'll have to buy separate ticket, but that is hassle with carrying auto seat with you. Is there any other way I can protect my child during flight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 PM

21,311 posts, read 19,943,262 times
The FAA doesn't require children under 2 to be secured with a seatbelt and the airlines aren't going to provide something unless they are required to. Also, would you really want your child to use a seatbelt that has been drooled and barfed on by thousands of other kids?

Child Safety

Homepage

Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,241,614 times
[quote=Klara;38324463]When I travel in Europe, I always get child seat belt, but I was surprised when I didn't get one on my flight from USA to Canada. I asked why, the stewardess even went to ask the captain, but he said that they don't provide child belts, because it is not allowed in the USA. How come? Isn't it dangerous to fly that way?

My child is still not 2 years old, but I am afraid to travel this way, I guess I'll have to buy separate ticket, but that is hassle with carrying auto seat with you. Is there any other way I can protect my child during flight?[/QUOTEhttp://www.amazon.com/Child-Airplane-Travel-Harness-Restraint/dp/B0012E4FV8

Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,905,052 times
I don't know of any airline that provides a child seatbelt other than standard lap belt. You get that if you pay for a seat for the child.

You can bring your childs FAA approved car seat into the airplane (if you buy a seat for the child) OR bring an FAA approved harness - there is only one: Homepage).

Old 02-06-2015, 05:37 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,351,411 times
I was surprised too the first time we flew domestic with our little one, but we had no issues.
Hold the child tight in a sitting position at take off and landing and be careful during the fly, and there should be no problems. (They would actually provide belts for tots if there were big issues!)

Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,622,157 times
Fly on a non-US carrier. I'm not 100% sure if they're allowed to use them on a flight originating/arriving in the US but your odds are better. The CARES harness is no good for a lap child.

Joemoving, leave the US sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation