Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Are tensions really that bad up there! *LOL*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-flying-fists/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Are tensions really that bad up there! *LOL*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-flying-fists/
I am not really surprised. If you think about it; take people with different personalities and confine them in a small enclosed space...recipe for disaster.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
People used to understand the concept of professionalism. Flying (and doing business of any kind) was so much more pleasant then.

I don't know if this is caused by cutting corners in their work education or a lack of boundaries in general. Perhaps it's a result of inflated ego - that a worker's personal problems are more important on the job than doing a good job. Or maybe its low self-esteem that causes people not to live up to their expected self-image. Of course it could always be that elephant in the living room, drug/alcohol problems.

At any rate it's a real pain for the rest of us when workers haven't learned to deal with their personal issues in a constructive manner.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I"m not surprised in the least. As I made clear in the forum before, my experience is that Delta flight attendants have been the rudest (by far) that I've come across. Note, this has only been true for my domestic flights; on international flights, I've found Delta flight attendants to be a joy.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
How many flights are there per day, per year in the U.S. And how often does this happen?

It is the kind of hissy fit stuff that passes for news all the time in the U.S.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
How many flights are there per day, per year in the U.S. And how often does this happen?

It is the kind of hissy fit stuff that passes for news all the time in the U.S.
When you've spent a chunk close to a thousand dollars on safe, efficient, healthy flight service do you want to have to deal with some idiot's personal dysfunction?

When you are spending money and inconvenienced by someone's "hissy fit" do you just shrug it off and never mention it? I don't think so.

Guess the questions are, "What is a reasonable expectation of the airline? What am I paying for?" And I believe Delta answered that itself in their apology.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When you've spent a chunk close to a thousand dollars on safe, efficient, healthy flight service do you want to have to deal with some idiot's personal dysfunction?
No, but - alas - it happens all over the place in many situations. But I haven't found it to be newsworthy, and that applies to this incident. It's part of life.

Quote:
When you are spending money and inconvenienced by someone's "hissy fit" do you just shrug it off and never mention it? I don't think so.
It depends entirely upon the situation - have I lost money as a result, have I been seriously inconvenienced and, if so, do I believe that my complaint will resolve my loss and/or inconvenience and is it likely to prevent this happening again to me or others. If the answers to these considerations are, no; then I don't get a high from outraged indignation. Some people do. Fine, not my style.

And in a situation such as the one that started this thread, I am certainly not going to feel personally aggrieved. The airline in this case obviously handled the case, no reason for me to get bent out of shape by it.

Quote:
Guess the questions are, "What is a reasonable expectation of the airline? What am I paying for?" And I believe Delta answered that itself in their apology.
You clearly would have taken it more personally than I would have. As for Delta's apology, they would apologize if someone complained that a flight attendant picked booger on their flight or scratched their crotch quickly.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
No, but - alas - it happens all over the place in many situations. But I haven't found it to be newsworthy, and that applies to this incident. It's part of life.

If that's true, then it's a sad commentary on life today. We all have our issues, but members of an airline flight crew should have enough maturity and professionalism to put them aside for the sake of their duties. I, for one, don't consider it merely a "part of life" to see white collar professionals engaging in fisticuffs, much less in front of the customers who pay their salaries and who are counting on them for leadership in the event of an emergency.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
At least they were able to divert to SLC, A Hub for Delta, So there were Reserve/ReTasked 757 FA's available.

The flight was only (I think I saw) 75 min late getting into MSP, So to "Top off" the tanks, re-crew, do the reports, ReCater, New Flight plans that not a bad turn.

If they had to divert to a Non Delta Hub City, odds are the flight would have to be canceled, or would be hour 4+? Delayed so they could fly in new FA's and Probably Cockpit Crew, (They would probably Time Out waiting for the FA's to be flown in).

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 AM

399 posts, read 728,712 times
Actually, I believe that flight attendants (at Delta and other airlines) can work on any aircraft that their airline flies (unlike the pilots). But you are correct in that SLC is a Delta hub, and a crew base with reserve F/As standing by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation