Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

14,491 posts, read 20,683,469 times

Advertisements

I've spoken to the lack of comfort flying at night. Quite a few of the recent ones have been at night.
TWA, Swiss Air, MH320, Air France, etc. It was close to impossible for anyone on the ground or in a fishing boat to see anything.
And the fact that Asian airlines appear to force you to keep your window down so a bunch of movie addicts can watch the movie.
Russia shot down a passenger airliner years ago. If the windows had been open and they saw passengers they might have let the plane exit their airspace.

Our party will be flying to China and non stop from N.Y. we'll be on a 777 leaving at 3:25pm. That's only 12:15 on the west coast and arrival is 7:30pm. So, as we head west and cross the ocean we should have a good bit of daylight on the 14 hour flight. Then out of Shanghai we switch to an Auirbus A320.

Any comments on Airbus as we have never flown on one.

Jet Blue to NY is charging $25 for one carry on bag. When did they start that?
No we have not flown in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Our flights on A320s have been uneventful in a good way. Passenger comfort comes down to how individual airlines configure the planes.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times
I'd be more worried about my drive to the airport. But hey, if your really scared, go by boat.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:05 PM

902 posts, read 864,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'd be more worried about my drive to the airport. But hey, if your really scared, go by boat.
Umm....you heard about the Titanic, right? ;-)

Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM

902 posts, read 864,370 times
Howard,

What exactly was your question? Are you thinking keeping your window shade open will prevent a state sanctioned downing of the aircraft or prevent a suicidal pilot from crashing the plane? Or is it because many foreign airlines have very under qualified crews in the cockpit?

Either way, enjoy the flight and realize that on the polar routes, the FAs usually request the shades closed so that people can sleep.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,170,927 times
Commercial flights aren't generally bothered at all by night flight. Both the 777 and A320 have very sophisticated NAV systems and are highly automated............you shouldn't have anything to worry about on this run.......

Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
Personally, I think people that need darkness to sleep should put on sleep masks instead of forcing others to pull down the shade.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,638,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Personally, I think people that need darkness to sleep should put on sleep masks instead of forcing others to pull down the shade.
Or, you could be considerate of the majority of people on TPAC who do want to sleep on a 11+ hour flight that takes you 10+ time zones away.

That's the best thing about the 787 -- no more a**holes lifting up their shade midflight, waking up an entire row of people.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM

735 posts, read 872,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Or, you could be considerate of the majority of people on TPAC who do want to sleep on a 11+ hour flight that takes you 10+ time zones away.

That's the best thing about the 787 -- no more a**holes lifting up their shade midflight, waking up an entire row of people.
I don't understand this micromanaging of other people. On long international flights I prefer an aisle seat, if an opened window shade wakes me, it's my fault for not using an eye mask. Expecting the universe to conform to you is silly and someone sitting by the window should be able to look out, it's the trade off for having to ask people to let them out to use the bathroom, seat mates should be able to ask them to lower it, but you're only going to be on the plane for a finite number of hours and putting up with some discomfort isn't going to kill you.

Airbus has come along way over the years, it's not the glitchy delay prone plane it use to be and I only mildly try to avoid them now days. I can't tell you the number of Airbus planes I have been on where we had mechanical delays and during landing the overhead latches would fail and the door to the cockpit would rattle open and this was post 9/11 when those doors were suppose to be secured. In my experience, pilots are usually pretty loyal to whatever equipment they're qualified on, but back in the day even Airbus pilots would admit to the reliability problems, not saying they were unsafe, just that there tended to be more mx issues. Now days, even Boeing pilots will grudgingly admit that Airbus isn't all bad.

Safe travels.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

14,491 posts, read 20,683,469 times
1. Are every different plane designs as safe as all the others? Some have an engine on the tail. I'd guess one of the designs would be safer than all the others. Maybe not.
We have never flown Airbus. I have not, the others in the party have.
You safer on a Boeing vs. Airbus?

2. When did Jet Blue begin charging $25 for one small carry on bag?

3. We want to see what is going on outside the plane. If the ground or water is headed our way we want to see it coming. ALL windows down is BS and the only airlines we know that do it ARE ASIAN.
And they insist on it when it is pitch dark outside. Window up and pitch dark does not ruin any movie watcher or sleeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation