Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It doesn't seem logical to even compare it that way. If I was one of 40-50 people loading my bags onto a big cart and all the skyc ap did was drive the cart across the lobby, I doubt I'd pay him $2 per bag.

Or if I knew he was pulling in 100K. The fact is one of the reasons we tip certain occupations is because they make little salary. Pilots, while maybe not making CEO money, are making an upper middle class income. If I knew my pilot was being paid $20/hr I might pop into the cockpit, hand him a fiver, and ask him to find us some smooth air.
So, let's say you hired a pilot to fly you alone in a Cessna 152. How much would you be willing to pay him compared to the pilot flying 40 passengers or 400 passengers? If they designed a plane that could carry thousands of passengers like a cruise ship, would there be any minimum that you would pay?

Seems to me that a willingness to pay less simply because there are more passengers reflects a devaluing of yourself. "If I am alone, I am worth x to the pilot, but if I am one of many, I am worth x divided by the number of other people."

Look at it from the pilot's perspective. If someone pays you $200 to fly them alone somewhere, wouldn't they be of greater value to you than 100 people paying you $2.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:28 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So, let's say you hired a pilot to fly you alone in a Cessna 152. How much would you be willing to pay him compared to the pilot flying 40 passengers or 400 passengers? If they designed a plane that could carry thousands of passengers like a cruise ship, would there be any minimum that you would pay?

Seems to me that a willingness to pay less simply because there are more passengers reflects a devaluing of yourself. "If I am alone, I am worth x to the pilot, but if I am one of many, I am worth x divided by the number of other people."

Look at it from the pilot's perspective. If someone pays you $200 to fly them alone somewhere, wouldn't they be of greater value to you than 100 people paying you $2.
This has nothing to do with devaluing anybody, but with economies of scale. If Bruce Springsteen can entertain a whole stadium with 60,000 people at the same time, the single person will pay another price than somebody who invites him for a private concert, isn't it?

Plus, it is the airline that is offering the pilot the bigger airplane. From the job itself, it is not much different than flying a Cessna with a single person, probably flying the A380 is even easier due to all the systems onboard, so why should he be entitled for more money, just because the company gives him a bigger tool to do his job?

Everything that counts is the monthly salary in total and wether one can have a good life with that. I do not care at all about how much it may be per passenger. I am willing to pay not more than what is necessary to have a decent salary per month, regardless if that is $0.01 or $10 for my single trip.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 AM

Okay, thank you for your responses. I like the concert analogy. Seems to me there is a certain minimum that oeople expect to pay for a concert. I don't think people would expect much i f they paid $2 to see Bruce Springsteen even if there were millions of people in attendance. Springsteen tickets average $437 according to Bruce Springsteen Tour Ticket Prices By The Numbers (obviously doesn't all go to him). Listening to someone sing for a couple hours vs. entrusting your life to someone for a couple houes...hmm...Kind of illustrated what I was saying about what our culture values. Why shouldn't pilots earn $53 million a year? http://www.salary-money.com/bruce-sp...p#.WRVxMlQpChA

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Okay, thank you for your responses. I like the concert analogy. Seems to me there is a certain minimum that oeople expect to pay for a concert. I don't think people would expect much i f they paid $2 to see Bruce Springsteen even if there were millions of people in attendance. Springsteen tickets average $437 according to Bruce Springsteen Tour Ticket Prices By The Numbers (obviously doesn't all go to him). Listening to someone sing for a couple hours vs. entrusting your life to someone for a couple houes...hmm...Kind of illustrated what I was saying about what our culture values. Why shouldn't pilots earn $53 million a year? Bruce Springsteen's salary: USD 53,000,000 per year - Salary Income Money
The answer is unique selling point. There is only one Bruce Springsteen but there are plenty of thousands of pilots.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
The answer is unique selling point. There is only one Bruce Springsteen but there are plenty of thousands of pilots.
There are plenty of singers, but there is only one Captain Retroit.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, give me some extra low overflights of the grand canyon, a few loopings or barrel rolls, a combat approach on the USS Sedona with a B-737 and I will pay you $500 tip.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yeah, give me some extra low overflights of the grand canyon, a few loopings or barrel rolls, a combat approach on the USS Sedona with a B-737 and I will pay you $500 tip.
Is that all it would take? Shoot, I'd do that stuff for free!

Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
And his little exercise in egotism has not gone quite the way he wanted it to.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And his little exercise in egotism has not gone quite the way he wanted it to.
How did "he" want it to go?

Old 05-13-2017, 05:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
How did "he" want it to go?
Your answer is in post #43, but you'd probably settle for what you put in #30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation