Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
On a never-ending flight from India on my way to California, I sat next to a woman who sobbed loudly throughout the entire flight and talked out loud in between sobs. As I don't speak Hindi or Urdu, I had no idea what had her so upset and the flight attendants couldn't get her to simmer down either.

On a flight from New Orleans, a baby sitting on her mother's lap reached over and yanked a button off my jacket and threw it on the floor. Her mother just looked at me and shrugged and I never did see where the button rolled.

Had a guy sitting next to me who would lift his bare forearm to his mouth every few minutes and chew the skin on his arm.

Lastly, I had the window seat on a flight from Dubai and a middle-aged man who had the aisle seat, visibly bristled when he saw me sitting there. He told the flight attendant that he was a Muslim and had been told he would not have to sit next to a woman on the plane and she told him that she couldn't imagine anyone telling him that and then told him to sit down. (I have Muslim friends and none of them behave this way. I think this guy was just being an ass because there is no way he had never been seated next to a woman on a flight returning to the United States). He asked if he could be moved and was told the flight was full.

After a little more arguing with the flight attendant, he finally flopped down in his seat, glaring at me the whole time. I asked the flight attendant for a glass of red wine (which caused sighs and more glares from him), and told her rather than give me another glass or a refill to just leave the little bottle. I was messing with him by then, and I turned towards him and lifted my glass in a toast and said, "Here's to you sunshine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
The worst thing that ever happened (and it wasn't that bad at all) was the young lady who fell asleep, and her head was on my shoulder for about half the flight.

Really, it didn't bother me much. And when she woke up and realized she'd been sleeping on my shoulder, she apologized...but really, it wasn't that big a deal to me.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Behavior-wise, it's screaming babies and loudmouthed youngsters that irritate me the most. But I'm much more concerned about the morbidly obese and the ones who don't practice good hygiene.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
This didn't happen on a plane, but in a movie theater.. Guy with what we think was tourette's was in the theater. His 'tic' was a wheeze/cough/hiccup thing that was VERY loud and happened about every 30 seconds.

Ushers brought him some water, which apparently helped him control it.. I couldn't imagine sitting on a plane next to that for hours on end. Why he didn't get water to start with is what confused me. I assume someone complained about him about 30 minutes into the movie ("Ghost" with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.. I still remember it) and that's when the ushers spoke with him and got him water.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Scariest right seat passenger EVER was my FAA check ride examiner. He had a mind full of trick questions, all of which I got wrong. Apparently he liked the way I fly anyway, since he passed me on the first try.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
<>"Here's to you sunshine."
And here's to you, Praline! <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTuQ9cKGSdM

Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
Most of my seatmates have not been bad at all and some were really nice. I do have an issue with people in my space, so I've hugged the window quite often when someone is on the larger side and keep touching me.

The worst passenger I ever sat next to was a family member. This person is very overweight and domineering. She had the window and I had the middle seat (she had booked the flight, otherwise, no way I'd choose a middle seat). As soon as we sat down, she lifted the arm rest between us so she could use part of my seat along with hers. I have a stranger on the other side, so I am basically in hell at this point. Then she started passing gas and continued to do so the whole flight. Thankfully, it was only a 2 hour flight and I just kept turning on my air to blow the smell away. Then I'd have to turn it off because I was freezing. Until she passed gas again. On the flight home, it wasn't a full flight thank goodness because she pulled the same lift the armrest thing and I was able to move to a row where I had the seats all to myself.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Sat next to a guy who thought it would be cool to listen to Music with no headphones on.. that and a guy playing games with the sound on.. UGH!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM

430 posts, read 335,249 times
Well not on a plane but a train. I was 16 and on my way home from school, since I stayed after for theater. This was during a Vikings game and my first time riding the train from one. I had to let two pass before I finally got one that had barely enough space for me. I stood up and waited and three guys who had obviously been drinking a little got on the train and one sees me, gestures towards me, and the dudes waddle to me. One stood so close to me I felt his crotch and backed myself into a corner out of fear. Mind you, I'm 20 now and look 16-18 to many so imagine how I looked as a 16yo girl? Obviously not legal. I was just at 115 at the time, 5'5, and these men were obviously grown (probably late 30s-early 40s) and fairly large.

They get on, corner me, and being to constantly ask where I was getting off. I tried ignoring them and they kept asking, then one rubbed my arm to get my attention. I mean like grasp and rub his arm up and I felt him angling towards my chest, so I turned my body and looked at him. I lied and said I couldn't hear them, what did they want. Asked me and I lied again and said the very last stop. They asked when they're stop would come and I told them. They asked me every few seconds and I could see one rubbing his crotch. He winks and asked how old I was. I lied and said I was 14. Then he literally asks me do I like older men. I said that I'm not even 16 and he asked when my birthday was. I actually told the truth and said it was in the winter, so pretty far from then. One said he has a son my age, I lied and said I was a lesbian. Asked if I had a pretty girlfriend.

At this point I'm visibly freaked out and disturbed. I've had weird conversations and freaks touching/talking to me before, but this was the worst incident. Mind you this is a FULL TRAIN and nobody seemed to notice a young girl cornered by three very large and grown men. I was terrified to tell them to leave me tf alone and was worried they'll get aggressive, so I kept trying to swerve their questions. Thankfully their stop finally came and as I turned to let someone slide out, I felt one of them rub my inner thigh and squeeze. I turned quick and he winks as his friends laughed and got off.

I was shaking, scared, disturbed, and beyond freaked out. Like I said, I've had weird incidents before but this took the cake. I ended up breaking down and calling my dad once I got off and told him what happened. He was beyond pissed and, knowing my dad, probably feeling murderous. After that, I began to avoid going out during games if I was alone. Though that's now the reason I observe what's happening on buses and trains and intervene if I see the same stuff happening. I refuse to allow another young girl to feel the way I felt, know there are people around, and so scared she doesn't know what to do. Hasn't happened to me in years since transitioning, and I've never had as bad a situation come up since then, but that doesn't mean I'm going to idly ignore the situation at hand.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
And here's to you, Praline! <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTuQ9cKGSdM
LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation