Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,744,881 times

Advertisements

They randomly search. If it’s your turn there’s nothing you can do about it. If they started giving individuals immunity from searches and something happened as a result people would be screaming about that too! I personally don’t agree with kids being searched either, but I’d rather have the no exception rule and be safe than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,474,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Although I hate TSA with a passion, I don't agree with her comment that she should somehow be "exempt" from this treatment while everyone else is required to go through it.

Here was her comment:

"there has to be some way that at age 84 I can get some clearance by the POWERS of Government from this procedure."

Nobody can get clearance. TSA searches young children as well as elderly adults, people with disabilities, men, women people of all races, religions, sexual orientation and both genders.

Its all meaningless anyway. Like George Carlin said, its just all these bells and whistles made for middle class white people to feel safe. I have a regular customer who works at the airport, you wont even believe how many times (according to what he told me) they failed equipment tests and what not. The TSA is overreaching most of the time.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,474,710 times
https://youtu.be/1zb-ooyGbyQ

Instantly thought of this

Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,965,856 times
I haven't taken a plane in 35 years. I've been coast to coast and up and down both coasts and deep into Mexico by train. No TSA searches. And the scenery is spectacular, nothing you will ever see from a plane or a car or a bus on the highways.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She is 4'9 and uses a walker, at that age and physical ability she should have some recourse available to bypass "some" of the tsa inspection. That should be available to anyone in that condition not just survivors.
People over a certain age (I forget what, I'm not there yet) ARE exempt from "some" TSA requirements. The can leave their shoes and jackets on.

But why couldn't an older person be a terrorist, or be used by a terrorist?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They do so no matter how slight the risk such a person statistically poses. The screening process seems more interested in political correctness than in preventing actual terrorism. It is an extremely cumbersome process. I've seen bunches of white Caucasian women lined up with baby strollers all going through the metal detector despite the fact that such a person with a baby is extremely unlikely to commit a terrorist act.

We've abandoned good sense and we spend about $6 billion a year to fund TSA too.

While I sympathise with the elderly woman in question, as someone who frequently flies to and from the U.S., and flies domestically too when I’m there, I’d rather the TSA annoy a gazillion innocents, than miss one terrorist.
In 2016, a woman with two children, flying from Istanbul, Turkey, to NYC was found to have traces of explosive in her baggage when she switched planes in Frankfurt, Germany.
Apparently there was no bomb, just the traces, but the Terminal was closed for hours while searches were carried out.
Again, in 1986 an Irish woman, pregnant by her Jordanian boyfriend was taken by him to London’s Heathrow Airport, and put on an El-Al flight to Tel-Aviv, Israel, with a bomb in her luggage, timed to explode in mid air after the plane had landed and then taken off again from Munich, Germany.
This plot was thwarted by El-Al agents at Heathrow, as was a similar one when a Dutch girl was duped into carrying a bomb on to a flight to Tel-Aviv in 1971, and a Peruvian girl in 1972.
So just because it’s a female, old, young, pregnant or with children or not, willingly or unknowingly, they might, just might, not be someone that you’d be happy to have on your flight.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM

17,599 posts, read 13,383,640 times
As Jeff Foxworthy says:

If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She is 4'9 and uses a walker, at that age and physical ability she should have some recourse available to bypass "some" of the tsa inspection. That should be available to anyone in that condition not just survivors.
The issue with that theory is that in other countries, the terrorists have used the elderly and disabled and loaded them up to blow up things. Please don't think short elderly women aren't used by terrorist groups. There are women who belong to those sects as well.

The TSA agents working have no idea who she is. The computer tells them that they have to scan and pat down folks. She doesn't say what exactly was so demeaning about the body search...like specifically what did they do? I get pay down every single time I fly. That's what happens because I want to get on a bus with wings and terrorists have used them as bombs. It is what. Don't like it? Don't fly.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,971,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
As Jeff Foxworthy says:

If an 80-year-old woman who is confined to a wheelchair or a three-year-old girl can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
Amen to that!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
There is no way that the TSA is worse than her "suffering through inhumane scientific experiments Auschwitz" as she put it. There was no reason to throw out the Holocaust card except to get herself into the MSM spotlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation