Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:10 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,923 times

Advertisements

My husband's first cousin is a Pilot for Southwest Airlines out of Florida. He is probably one of the most kindest person I have ever met (next to my husband). There are rules that must be followed pure and simple. If a child is yelling the whole length of a trip - everyone should bring ear plugs. They help and work. If they are running up and down aisles- climbing over seats I would take that kid and buckle him/her down (with lock) at back of plane where he could not get out. lol I am so glad I do not fly.

My sister wants us to come to Southhaven, Mississippi where they live...I won't get on plane due to all the horrible stories. I use to fly all the time years ago but today is harder. What has changed?

Old 03-24-2018, 04:08 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Just getting to this...guess I hit a nerve.

SWA has been draconian towards the flying public for many years. To tight a skirt? you're off the plane, wearing t shirts which criticize and make fun of political figure? you too, you're off. Need a package in the cabin and it does not quite fit? calm down and get off the plane. YEARS..... of this led me to turn in over a million miles and never again waste my time but hey that's just moi.

a 4 year old causes parents, FA, pilots and hundreds of paying passengers to abort the take off return to the gate and delay everyone. A FOUR YEAR OLD! And yes her parents should have buckled her in and yes the FA should have done this BEFORE taxi started and YES the father should have accepted responsibility and finally YES, the buckled down screaming child should not hold a plane full of people hostage. That said the FA were in control of the cabin and should have figured this all out prior to it ending up on every tube in the known world. SWA....again. Now before you turn on the flames remember (try) that people in this country get to express their own opinions freely and without criticism. if you don't think so try another country.....I hear Iran this time of year is nice.
The only nerve you hit with me was expecting a big airplane to go back and forth until the kiddie decided to settle down.

Otherwise, yes, you are certainly entitled to have your opinion.

And yes, in this country people are free to express how they feel. If anyone thinks I'm a witch on this thread, wait until I'm ever told I can't express my opinion in the US. I guarantee no one will ever have to worry about it as long as I have a breath left to take.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:10 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,688 times
What has changed? People! No respect for any authority or regulations anymore. I see it everywhere not just flying.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:19 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you even watch the video? The little girl was completely calm and quiet by the time they came and made them get off the plane. THAT is why the other passengers were protesting the disembarkment, too. The parents DID take charge.

People on these boards just love to blame passengers whenever anything happens on a plane. Get dragged down an aisle for not giving up the seat you paid for? Too bad, your fault, you should have complied with authority!! Decide to comply and your puppy dies in an overhead bin? Too bad, you shouldn't have complied, your fault!!.

On the puppy board I theorized that if the woman had fought the FA and gotten arrested(which many posters there are saying and blaming the woman alone) the same people would then be bashing her for not complying.

Companies and big business are always in the right! My fellow men are always wrong!!
The decision to remove was made before the video started, and the decision was a good one.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Too bad they don’t have family flights. Then they can stay off of regular flights with their behavioral challenged kids.....

Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They are the only one I fly too, ...I never had an issue either.

Regardless, they DID mess up on this one. The little girl was quiet as an Angel by the time they got around to kicking them off, totally and completely calm, and they should have aborted the process.
Sorry Charlie... Too Late!!!
The moment you set a foot on the aircraft, you have relinquished your freedoms to misbehave. (or create ANY risk for the other 170+ passengers / crew / equipment / airspace / or subsequential damages).

Have you been in the military, police, fire depts?
'Waffling decisions' is not an acceptable SOP when you are running a regimented (by necessity / regulation) business.
At some point a decision had to be made... (after several galant / VERY patient (as possible) attempts by the crew).
Trust me (us). SWA did not WANT to turn that plane around (the gate is scheduled for other aircraft, you have 170 people expecting an on time departure, 170 people on the other end expecting an on time arrival...runway schedule, approaching flights (for the last 4 hrs) are inbound expecting runway and gate assignments...AND SWA just got dinged (and possibly FINED) for the delay / reversal. In any event... 'out of control kid' was not CHEAP or trivial for this ONE (of 3500) SWA flights per day.

Sad (for all) they were forced to turn back. Yesterday we had a sick elderly person need to be removed after boarding. EMS personnel and ambulance had to arrive, Bags had to be located and removed... probably 50+ people missed their connections.

Stuff happens... be grateful you have a great company like SWA who is responsible enough to each and every passenger and employee to act in good faith. Even the POLICE are not your advocates in many countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The decision to remove was made before the video started, and the decision was a good one.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You haven't heard? Everyone's freedom of speech exists in a vacuum.

I've had no problems, but I'm pretty low-maintenance when it comes to this stuff. My bags have always made it to where I'm going(!) and just a few months ago bumped myself to a flight two days later when I was already supposed to be at the airport and couldn't get there because of a transport issue. No hassle, wound up only paying the difference in ticket price which was about $60. Couldn't be happier.

When they tell me to sit down and buckle up, guess what I do?

The problem is when people think they're more important than everyone else.
so everyone is the same. brave new world.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The only nerve you hit with me was expecting a big airplane to go back and forth until the kiddie decided to settle down.

Otherwise, yes, you are certainly entitled to have your opinion.

And yes, in this country people are free to express how they feel. If anyone thinks I'm a witch on this thread, wait until I'm ever told I can't express my opinion in the US. I guarantee no one will ever have to worry about it as long as I have a breath left to take.
My point is secure the child and fly the plane. Why is this not apparent? Why would SWA refuse to enforce it's policies and secure the chlld so that everyone could get where they are going. Again. SWA made a series of decisions which 1) forced the return of an outbound aircraft there by increasing risks 2) delayed everyone and finally 3) forced the family and the child to leave the plane over objections by other passengers.

That is pure SWA. It was a four year old.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I'm a bit OT here, but whenever I tried to settle my kids down in public, invariably someone would intervene and say oh, that's ok. Like, WTH business was it of theirs? I literally had little control over my own kids, because I was constantly overrode by busybodies, including waitresses, store clerks, nurses and other healthcare personnel, and Flight Attendants! It was like they egged them on for some sort of entertainment, or power kick, or something! Then, when the kids really got our of hand, I was supposed to handle it!

Wow, how out of control were your kids that so many people in so many settings were getting involved? I can count on one hand how many times each of mine was a problem in public and we never had a stranger get involved. .

Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHBOTTOMSBOY View Post
Wow, how out of control were your kids that so many people in so many settings were getting involved? I can count on one hand how many times each of mine was a problem in public and we never had a stranger get involved. .
That is due to the facts that parents held their kids to account and not punished for it. A 4 year old caused an entire plane to change schedule. What does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation