Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,169,999 times

Advertisements

Timing is everything and now the times are good. If you have any aptitude at all (able to multi-task) then you must be able to put your head down and do WHATEVER it takes. My son is Captn 737 and he pumped gas at night, instructed during the day and took cram college courses on the weekend. He gave over 1,000 hours of CFI instruction in one year. He got a job flying xld checks (no longer an option). Then went to right seat on ATR 42 out of St. Louis for peanuts. 20 years later he is well over $220K with benefits galore. But it's a tough life on the road with night flights, jet lag all over, you have to be in good shape to do it. If this fits you then you need to scramble and get a SENIORITY number as fast as you can. In the airline world seniority is everything....your schedule, whether you stay working during a down turn EVERYTHING. The job in the 50's thru the 90's used to be fun, it no longer is. You need to be a diplomat today and stay on the straight and narrow, no drinking or smoking pot or otherwise and very PC. One more thing....physically one bad Doctor visit can shut you down. A first class medical is a check-up every six months, you better treat that AME like gold, he can make your life hell.

So put on that Superman cape and get started........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,977,147 times
When I was in flight school I noticed that most “ not sures” after their intro flight.. never came back for a second try. I’ve also seen people who go through all of the classes and then quit when it it was time to solo.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 PM

13,300 posts, read 7,334,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
When I was in flight school I noticed that most “ not sures” after their intro flight.. never came back for a second try. I’ve also seen people who go through all of the classes and then quit when it it was time to solo.

I have met at least 3 people who solo'ed then never went any farther. Most told me that they couldn't afford it anymore but wanted to at least solo felt like they accomplished something.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 PM

103 posts, read 91,618 times
Took my first lesson at 11. Flew less than 15 hours over the following two years and nothing for another decade. I picked it back up in my 20s and got my PVT and loved every minute of it. Well... except for spin training, I'm not cut out for that.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
The drop out rate is high. I got my ticket in 1994, and my Ground School class of about 15 - 20, dwindled down to only a couple who got their Private. Yes, what to do you do with a Private? Rent? Not a good situation at all if you actually want to go places. Either you must bite the bullet and buy a plane, or get into some shared ownerships situation, or flying club. I decided to just buy a plane, or I was going to give it up.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,977,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The drop out rate is high. I got my ticket in 1994, and my Ground School class of about 15 - 20, dwindled down to only a couple who got their Private. Yes, what to do you do with a Private? Rent? Not a good situation at all if you actually want to go places. Either you must bite the bullet and buy a plane, or get into some shared ownerships situation, or flying club. I decided to just buy a plane, or I was going to give it up.
My dad has 3 planes. He hangars one here where I live and I have access to it when ever I want. (Cessna 172)
I am having a 1959 corvette restomod built and have someone interested in buying it when it’s complete. I plan on using the money to buy my own plane. Just not sure what plane I want to buy.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,013,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have met at least 3 people who solo'ed then never went any farther. Most told me that they couldn't afford it anymore but wanted to at least solo felt like they accomplished something.
I think soloing is an important accomplishment. It doesn't qualify one to do much, and those in the industry tend to think of these individuals as quitters, if they don't continue to earn at least a Private License. However, a small percentage of the population, has ever flown an airplane alone.

Last edited by BLS2753; 03-09-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
It really has to be in your blood to get the private rating, which my ATP son said was the hardest. It's totally new to everybody, there is nothing in anybodies background you can apply to flying......but what a thrill when you get that ticket.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
My dad has 3 planes. He hangars one here where I live and I have access to it when ever I want. (Cessna 172)
I am having a 1959 corvette restomod built and have someone interested in buying it when it’s complete. I plan on using the money to buy my own plane. Just not sure what plane I want to buy.
Aah the silver spoon plan.......that's the best LOL......but you still have to master flying the bird

Old 03-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I think soloing is an important accomplishment. It doesn't qualify one to do much, and those in the industry tend to think of these individuals as quitters, if they don't continue to earn at least a Private License. However, a small percentage of the population, has ever flown an airplane alone.
You never forget that solo run........the plane now leaps into the air and you know it's all up to you now, a giddy feeling for sure. I cheated and did my solo at PSP with 7,000ft of runway back in 69. New 150 that cost me $12.00 an hour wet........those were the days.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation