Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2024, 03:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times

Advertisements

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory but sheesh. You have to wonder.........man who was about to about to testify against Boeing is found dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 02:34 PM

62 posts, read 37,492 times
https://www.newsweek.com/john-barnet...candal-1879548

Old 03-16-2024, 09:21 PM

12,389 posts, read 9,493,040 times

Old 03-25-2024, 08:12 AM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/busin...ues/index.html

And on it goes.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
Boeing CEO and string of top executives resign amid ongoing safety scandals

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ls/ar-BB1kuxz0

Old 03-25-2024, 04:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Boeing CEO and string of top executives resign amid ongoing safety scandals

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ls/ar-BB1kuxz0

Resign next year. Probably with a huge golden parachute. Not good enough.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Resign next year. Probably with a huge golden parachute. Not good enough.
Yes, CEOs, even when they are engaged in poor performance, or incompetence, or wrongdoing, receive huge rewards for their behavior when they are fired. That's not just Boeing, it's the way of most US corporations.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:57 AM

58 posts, read 9,198 times
Well as a former lead inspector at Boeing I can tell you what happen.They introduced self inspection taking the QC inspector out of the loop to speed up production which has cause a huge drop in quality.I was given instruction on what to inspect and to ignore anything else that the operator bought the part off and I didn't need to give it a full shakedown.It start at least 10 years ago and no inspector liked it and we would do the full inspection anyway because we had to stamp it that it met all engineering requirements. I remember a few times having the manager angry at me because I found a non-conformance where I should not of been looking in his view holding up the part from being shipped.I did a full shake down and found problems.It was always a battle against management if they had it their way there would be no inspectors on the floor we just cause production problems and that cost the company money and mess up the schedule. Sorry even though I have not worked there for quite some time the anger comes back.When I heard about it I immediately thought self-inspection I can't see how the inspector would miss those 4 bolts there should be a inspection point there that requires the inspector stamp that it was indeed inspected and the 4 bolts were installed.You can bet an inspection point is there now requiring a inspector stamp.

Last edited by Paul888; 03-27-2024 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-31-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Well as a former lead inspector at Boeing I can tell you what happen.They introduced self inspection taking the QC inspector out of the loop to speed up production which has cause a huge drop in quality.I was given instruction on what to inspect and to ignore anything else that the operator bought the part off and I didn't need to give it a full shakedown.It start at least 10 years ago and no inspector liked it and we would do the full inspection anyway because we had to stamp it that it met all engineering requirements. I remember a few times having the manager angry at me because I found a non-conformance where I should not of been looking in his view holding up the part from being shipped.I did a full shake down and found problems.It was always a battle against management if they had it their way there would be no inspectors on the floor we just cause production problems and that cost the company money and mess up the schedule. Sorry even though I have not worked there for quite some time the anger comes back.When I heard about it I immediately thought self-inspection I can't see how the inspector would miss those 4 bolts there should be a inspection point there that requires the inspector stamp that it was indeed inspected and the 4 bolts were installed.You can bet an inspection point is there now requiring a inspector stamp.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am amazed at the number of people here who insist that any problems at Boeing are small, and they must come from a few, isolated, low level people, when the many stories shared by people who actually worked at Boeing, in the news and indeed in sworn testimony, are that the problems are wide-ranging, but they start from the C-suite and then flow down through the whole organization. The people who really love Boeing and try to do first class work are ignored and/or pushed out, because it clearly costs more money and it takes more time to do things well, and the executives refuse to tolerate that - that's been true there for 20-odd years. These problems are not just in manufacturing and QA, they are in design and engineering too - the very same flawed ideas are behind it, and again, it starts from the top.

Quote:
"Like most neoliberal institutions, Boeing had come under the spell of a seductive new theory of 'knowledge' that essentially reduced the whole concept to a combination of intellectual property, trade secrets, and data, discarding 'thought' and 'understanding' and 'complex reasoning' possessed by a skilled and experienced workforce as essentially not worth the increased health care costs. CEO Jim McNerney, who joined Boeing in 2005, had last helmed 3M, where management as he saw it had 'overvalued experience and undervalued leadership' before he purged the veterans into early retirement.

'Prince Jim'—as some long-timers used to call him—repeatedly invoked a slur for longtime engineers and skilled machinists in the obligatory vanity 'leadership' book he co-wrote. Those who cared too much about the integrity of the planes and not enough about the stock price were 'phenomenally talented *******s', and he encouraged his deputies to ostracize them into leaving the company. He initially refused to let nearly any of these talented *******s work on the 787 Dreamliner, instead outsourcing the vast majority of the development and engineering design of the brand-new, revolutionary wide-body jet to suppliers, many of which lacked engineering departments. "
https://prospect.org/infrastructure/...ission-boeing/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-31-2024 at 07:13 AM..

Old 03-31-2024, 04:28 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Well, "The American Prospect" is a pretty generic liberal outlet linked to the unions. They're churning out anti-corporation articles pretty much on a daily basis. That article even kinda implies that having unions in Charleston would have helped fix the problems with the 787..when of course the 737 MAX was built in the unionized plant in Renton and has plenty of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation