Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 71,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Stick a fork in it, it's done.....

"American Airlines will resume filling planes to capacity starting July 1, the company announced Friday."

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/americ...amid-covid-19/

First lawsuits from outraged Karens will likely happen before week is out.
I don't think you understand the definition of a Karen. A Karen is the woman who refuses to follow the rules. Why would the Karen start a lawsuit? For what exactly? I think you should learn what words actually mean before posting something silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 09:00 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
This is a bad decision on AA’s behalf. I understand they are losing money, but in the airline industry a good safety reputation means a lot and can undermine your success.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
American Airlines is like a Cancer on US.

It is a shame and national embarrassment that they have the "Marketing Term" American in their name.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:43 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I got a few thousands $$ in multiple stock bets for "possible" rapid CV testing. I just need one company to hit to make a nice outcome. If the number hits, probably enough for just one nice trip. In turn, a successful test kit will mean that I get to use my trading account for traveling rather than for trading . I'd pay $9.98 for a 68% (1 standard deviation) correct, and 90% confidence; $19.99 for 2 sd, 90%.
What are some of the tickers you're investing in? Go ahead and pump them! I'm thinking along the same lines.

As for flying... I'm done with it. I'll be driving as much as possible from now on. If a driving trip would take longer than two days, I'll fly -- I know my limits -- but any place I can get to in one day, let us say 800 to 1,000 miles, we'll just enjoy our nice minivan with comfortable seating and tremendous luggage capacity. We could even sleep in it if we felt really cheap.

I do think airlines should space the seating out -- no center seats. They got $60 billion in bailouts, so this isn't much to ask in return.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Europe isn't the only place currently banning entry to Americans. I think Canada is as well (until July 21st?) and Israel is banning entry to all foreign tourists (at least until August 1st). I assume there are other countries to be added to this list as well.
Australia and New Zealand ban Americans as well. Can't say I blame them.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
This is a bad decision on AA’s behalf. I understand they are losing money, but in the airline industry a good safety reputation means a lot and can undermine your success.
Only a small single digit % of passengers were switching flights when given the opportunity if their flights were full. IOW, only the Internet warriors care enough to speak up. For the vast, vast, vast majority of customers, they care about schedule and price only.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What are some of the tickers you're investing in? Go ahead and pump them! I'm thinking along the same lines.

As for flying... I'm done with it. I'll be driving as much as possible from now on. If a driving trip would take longer than two days, I'll fly -- I know my limits -- but any place I can get to in one day, let us say 800 to 1,000 miles, we'll just enjoy our nice minivan with comfortable seating and tremendous luggage capacity. We could even sleep in it if we felt really cheap.

I do think airlines should space the seating out -- no center seats. They got $60 billion in bailouts, so this isn't much to ask in return.
They didn't get anywhere near $60b and the majority of what they did get were loans and not grants. When companies are burning through $1b to $1.5b a month in cash they really have no alternative. Without those loans, there would only be one or two carriers left in the US and competition would be non-existent.

Of course you think they shouldn't sell center seats - everyone does - but only a privileged few buy the first class seats with no middles and it's even less now.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:29 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...make-them.html
Disclaimer: Your guess is as good as mine. I can guess wrong and my retirement wouldn't change... too much

Old 06-28-2020, 05:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
I would much rather pay a higher fare and not fly in a sardine can. Even before the COVID-19 crisis I said that airfares are too low. I stand by that statement.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It was never going to last, and people were foolish in believing otherwise.

After a decade or more of finding ways to wring every bit of revenue per seat, suddenly people expected airlines to leave gaps? Those spaces cost money, and unless someone is going to pony up it's every man (or woman) for themselves.

Unless forced by federal government, and don't even believe any such action would be legal or constitutional, airlines are not going to leave seats empty just for social distancing purposes. Only two ways it could remotely happen; raise fares or find other ways to replace that lost revenue on a per flight basis. Or, federal government would have to put something on table like offer in kind.
Since the FAA is under Trump's thumb, unless the crisis truly goes out of control nationwide (say 40 states) the airlines will not be forced to social distance. And I am on the fence if they should be . It is necessary to prevent issues with expanding cases. However, airlines run at rather low margins are bleeding money with 60% even 70% full planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation