Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times

Advertisements

I saw my first flying car at a big trade show in Oakland Ca in 1951. It had been flown according to magazine articles at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 05:29 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
My degree is in aero engineering. One of the great challenges in aircraft design is to make it light enough to allow a good useful load, while making it strong enough to endure the rigors of flight. Some aircraft are purposefully built with exceptional design strength (F-16, F-22, A-10, et al) and some are a lot more "flimsy", such as transport or GA aircraft. Nonetheless they are designed to certain load factors... 3.8 Gs for Normal Category GA with an ultimate load of 5.1 Gs, for example.

That goes out the window with automotive design; bumpers, occupant protection, crumple zones, road tires and wheels, transmissions and differentials, they all take up space and add weight. To make a flying car safe on the streets and meet NHTSA-issued Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) would add so much weight the useful load would be hardly anything. Back when the flying car was a cover story on an issue of Popular Mechanics, the FMVSS were a lot less restrictive.

It's neat, and it would be fun to design and build one. But like the AmphiCar, an impractical "toy" that would appeal to only a few über-wealthy fliers. Who could afford a real sports car and a real airplane, and drive one to the airport to fly the other.
Probably most readers here wouldn't dare drive their cars over a bridge built only to the structural safety standards of an airplane.

The promise of flying cars for all has been "coming soon" since 1946.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:09 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,049,488 times
I still find them to be simply amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb68qXpD0

Old 07-08-2021, 07:26 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Probably, personal airborne vehicles (PAV's) will be electric quadcopters similar to retail hobbyist drones. It's the only proven design for urban environment VTOL.

They'll be computer controlled. You'll climb in, authenticate with 2-factor password and biometric, verify that it's got the latest security patches (to prevent Russian hackers extorting money while you're airborne), tell it your destination.

The device will run a complete set of diagnostics.

The FAA urban aircraft traffic control will send a go/no-go response, and then, if all is well, you can be on your way.

Eventually it will be as routine as hopping on a bus.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:33 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
But like the AmphiCar, an impractical "toy" that would appeal to only a few über-wealthy fliers. Who could afford a real sports car and a real airplane, and drive one to the airport to fly the other.
Amphibious vehicles are a good comparison - they all pretty much make for bad boats or bad cars or both. And aircraft are harder to make than boats.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Probably, personal airborne vehicles (PAV's) will be electric quadcopters similar to retail hobbyist drones. It's the only proven design for urban environment VTOL.

They'll be computer controlled. You'll climb in, authenticate with 2-factor password and biometric, verify that it's got the latest security patches (to prevent Russian hackers extorting money while you're airborne), tell it your destination.

The device will run a complete set of diagnostics.

The FAA urban aircraft traffic control will send a go/no-go response, and then, if all is well, you can be on your way.

Eventually it will be as routine as hopping on a bus.
I'm willing to be proven wrong, but... Man-capable rotorcraft are noisy, and they require a fairly well-kept area to land in. If you kick up gravel hundreds of feet in every direction, you'll not be a popular guy. You have to move a lot of air, fast, to take off and land with a human as payload. And you'll leave dirty, roiled air for the next craft coming in.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:47 PM

11,047 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
People have enough trouble with two dimensions in my experience.
Coffee snort!!

I think you fly, Dane? I used to in my 20s and 30s and can't imagine doing it now. I remember it like it was another life.

No way can the average driver be a safe pilot. Texting and flying---right.

I think it also might be a bit like video phones. Though it's easy enough, I don't see that many video phone calls taking place. People prefer other methods, it seems. Despite what people thought the future would be.

Some inventions just don't "take off", after all!

Old 07-08-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Coffee snort!!

I think you fly, Dane?
Sadly no - tried out hang-gliders in my youth, dropped them on basis of the entire "I would like to get old one day" rationale. Deeply interested in aviation, but not at the controls.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,580 times
We've been dreaming of flying cars for decades, but until now, we've lacked one critical component: Computers robust enough to provide takeoff-to-landing autopilot.

Just as cars are inching towards full autonomous driving, planes are inching towards full autonomous flying. When that happens, the only remaining hurdles will be in the transaction aspects - car to plane and back to car.

I think we may see this - perhaps only occasionally, like Segways - in the next 10 years.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:47 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,231 times
Cool 15 Future Flying Cars that will Change the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGRAhOjAX5Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation