Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 02:29 PM

46,263 posts, read 27,085,436 times

Advertisements

Well, you can call me "that guy"....

BUT FOLKS, OPSEC....

I doubt that SluggoF16, many comments cannot be found on line?

Maybe they can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 09:24 PM

24,282 posts, read 13,137,829 times
I didn't put anything in that isn't online, found even in official USAF fact sheets. The classified stuff, yeah, that's nowhere to be found in my posts, and won't be. Surprisingly, some things that are elevated above "UNCLASSIFIED" are present in some of the advanced PC flight sims, albeit not at the functional level they are in the real jet. And there's a discussion of an F-16 radar feature in Tom Clancy's nonfiction book "Fighter Wing" that definitely should never have been published.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Well, neither, actually.

The subsequent generations have more to do with avionics, than fuselage changes. Now, if an airframe stays in service long enough, new designed engine may be fitted. (Ex: F18C to the "D" rendition.)

The avionics packages can be anything you can (or can't) imagine.

A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.
The difference between F/A-18C is single seat and F/A-18D is dual seat - they were built in the same time frame with essentially the same avionics - not a good example. The difference between the C/D and F/A-18E/F is the latter ones are around 25% bigger - very different airframe. So mostly it is airframe differences.

As far as B-52 - they were upgraded completely with new avionics several times without changing their designation. The B-52 has been in service since 1952 - 70 years. But all currently in service are H versions which were built between 1961 and 1963 - 60 years ago - they are scheduled to be in service for another 20 to 30 or so years with significantly upgraded avionics.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:26 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You familiar with "Super CHARLIE?"

I always respected the Skyhawk's rate of roll.

Back when I was on the F-15 flightline even Eagle drivers respected A-4s at Red Flag. "They're like mosquitos" one pilot said. "You know they're there but they flit around at the edge of your consciousness until they come in and bite you".

As far as the fewer letter designators in modern aircraft more is now done by designating block numbers in production batches. For example you will see reports of 'block 40' F-16s having a certain capability. Aircraft recordsand manuals designate them as for example F-15A-10. That would be a block 10 aircraftand would designate a certain build standdard (That would have been one of the early 74 model F-15s I worked on)

The letter designators are also somewhat of a political/marketing item. Actually the entire designation system has become political. The new bomber should not be a B-21 but a B-3 and the F-35 should have been the F-24 or F-25 but that is a different pet peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation