Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 05:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 645,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, there are minimum logged seat hours to reach certification, but.... I prefer to see a little 'gray' hair' in the cockpit. Yesterday's flight (A320) (legacy carrier) was a wake-up call...
Pretty rough summer weather (mtns, thunderstorms, rain), but not once did I feel comfortable with the conversation or control coming from upfront. Similar to when flying discount carriers overseas like Lion Air, and EZjet. The landing was bizarre (no wind issues, dry conditions, long runway where I've had hundreds of landings). Couple big bounces, and erratic extreme braking. Several passengers smacked the seat ahead with their heads (including myself), lose items (and lap kids) were flying everywhere. Lots of crying. No announcement or acknowledgement from the Flight deck, but the very young pilots remained in the cockpit, rather than greeting disembarking passengers.FAs took a lot of heat.

I hope this is not the New Normal.
Reminded me of those training runs as a commercial driver. So glad to make it back to the terminal alive.
This IS the New Normal. In "the old days" pilots were hired based on their flight experience / education and the hiring was performed by in-house pilots, not people from the HR department. I can only speak about one major airline that publicly declared that 50% of the future pilots they hire will NOT be chosen based on their flight experience but rather on their color/sex. I guess if that criteria is good enough to choose Supreme Court justices it's good enough to choose airline pilots who are responsible to deliver paying passengers safely to their destinations day in and day out. To me though, that appears to be textbook discrimination. Oh well..for some interesting reading search Atlas Air Flight 3591, there are people like this at many airlines...the friendly skies indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 08:05 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
This IS the New Normal. In "the old days" pilots were hired based on their flight experience / education and the hiring was performed by in-house pilots, not people from the HR department. I can only speak about one major airline that publicly declared that 50% of the future pilots they hire will NOT be chosen based on their flight experience but rather on their color/sex. I guess if that criteria is good enough to choose Supreme Court justices it's good enough to choose airline pilots who are responsible to deliver paying passengers safely to their destinations day in and day out. To me though, that appears to be textbook discrimination. Oh well..for some interesting reading search Atlas Air Flight 3591, there are people like this at many airlines...the friendly skies indeed!
This reinforces my resolve to be done with commercial aviation entirely I don't need it anymore. Sianota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation