Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 PM

165 posts, read 533,328 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking at possibly moving from DC to the Baltimore area. We are looking for a single family home in a safe area, with decent schools, also convenient to shops, etc... We really love the Mt. Washington area, and saw a home specifically in Cheswolde. I noticed a lot of synagogues are based in this neighborhood. I really want a neighborhood that is racially/religiously diverse, as that describes the neighborhood we currently live in. Any thoughts on the neighborhood or other areas of the city that may be a good fit?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM

15 posts, read 174,698 times
Default Diversity Everywhere

The whole city is pretty diverse. You really can't go wrong there. Are you specifically looking for a Jewish area/neighborhood?

How important is it for you to live in the city proper? The public schools are pretty spotty in the city, so I'd either recommend private school or a suburb (Columbia, Owings Mills, Windsor Mills, Parkville, etc.).

Run a general search and you'll find a lot of posts on desirable neighborhoods in Baltimore. I'm familiar with the greater Lauraville area, which is charming and family friendly. I live in the Waltherson/Beverly Hills neighborhoods in the northeast--nice brick homes, tudor-style, with pretty little lawns. That area is a healthy mix racially, but remains economically stable. The mayor (now governor) used to live here. The Jewish areas are further west where the city meets BC. You'll find little pockets of ethnic neighborhoods throughout the city proper--Italian, German, Polish, etc. There are also more cosmopolitan/yuppie areas like Mt. Vernon and Charles Village. Old money lives in Roland Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanlev View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking at possibly moving from DC to the Baltimore area. We are looking for a single family home in a safe area, with decent schools, also convenient to shops, etc... We really love the Mt. Washington area, and saw a home specifically in Cheswolde. I noticed a lot of synagogues are based in this neighborhood. I really want a neighborhood that is racially/religiously diverse, as that describes the neighborhood we currently live in. Any thoughts on the neighborhood or other areas of the city that may be a good fit?

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Thanks for your feedback

Actually, I'm not Jewish, just looking for a diverse area, not just one particular ethnicity and/or religious affiliation. It's not very important to be in the city proper area, however good schools (which I know is rare, if not I dare say unavailable in Balt City), accessibility to retail, recreational activities (gym, parks, etc...) would be nice. I'm not a fan of the Owings Mills area, I prefer an older area with homes that are old, but restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
The whole city is pretty diverse. You really can't go wrong there. Are you specifically looking for a Jewish area/neighborhood?

How important is it for you to live in the city proper? The public schools are pretty spotty in the city, so I'd either recommend private school or a suburb (Columbia, Owings Mills, Windsor Mills, Parkville, etc.).

Run a general search and you'll find a lot of posts on desirable neighborhoods in Baltimore. I'm familiar with the greater Lauraville area, which is charming and family friendly. I live in the Waltherson/Beverly Hills neighborhoods in the northeast--nice brick homes, tudor-style, with pretty little lawns. That area is a healthy mix racially, but remains economically stable. The mayor (now governor) used to live here. The Jewish areas are further west where the city meets BC. You'll find little pockets of ethnic neighborhoods throughout the city proper--Italian, German, Polish, etc. There are also more cosmopolitan/yuppie areas like Mt. Vernon and Charles Village. Old money lives in Roland Park.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,657 times
I don't know if what you want exists in Baltimore County or any other suburb. BC in particular are pretty racially segragated. For what you are looking for in housing, I'd suggest Lutherville or south of Towson. There's a neighborhood called Stoneleigh that you'd might like. You'll be zone for great schools. It's diverse, but not really. Most of the aa students live outside the area and are magnet students.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM

Thanks, I had checked out the Stoneleigh neighborhood, just properties in that area anyway, and it looked nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrisn View Post
I don't know if what you want exists in Baltimore County or any other suburb. BC in particular are pretty racially segragated. For what you are looking for in housing, I'd suggest Lutherville or south of Towson. There's a neighborhood called Stoneleigh that you'd might like. You'll be zone for great schools. It's diverse, but not really. Most of the aa students live outside the area and are magnet students.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 68,860 times
Zachariah,

very good description of the Baltimore areas. I live in Charles Village; I don't think of it at all as cosmopolitan.

I'd say, instead, diverse, educaied, creative, liberal--several aging hippy types here. I'm one of them!

Smelly old money lives in Guilford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore