Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 28,727 times

Advertisements

First of all, I've lived in Maryland most of my life. In PG when I was younger and in MoCo for the last 15 years (Germantown area). I've always liked Baltimore and have wanted to live in a city for a while now.

I am married with 2 kids, ages 13 (boy) and 11 (girl). None of us have ever lived in a city before.

I have been looking at homes in the Locust Point / Federal Hill area. Locust Point seems nicer to me because there are no bad areas bordering that area. I should be able to afford a house around 600K or less.

I'm mostly worried about the baltimore middle/high schools. Is this a horrible idea?

Thanks...

Last edited by JimmyInMD; 06-17-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:34 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
YES!!!!!!!
baltimore city schools are a joke.The crime is out of control(second most murderous city in america after detroit).there is trash everywhere and the cops are A-holes.
I raised my kids in west baltimore and they came out like gangbangers and thugs. even my little one curse on a daily basis and my older ones come home at midnight and sometimes dont come home until the next day and yes I BLAME baltimore. They dont call it body-more,murdaland for no reason.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM

BTW WATCH "THE WIRE"
[youtube]tFkWPNJAy14[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkWPNJAy14]YouTube - The Wire - Chris and Snoop Vs. Bodie[/url]

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM

I watched and loved "The Wire", but I don't plan on staying in those areas.

Are there no good middle/high schools in Baltimore?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

51 posts, read 166,326 times
The Wire is a tv show...not all of baltimore is that...remember it's tv don't believe everything. There are good highschools in the City...Poly and City are the best two schools here.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM

there has to be some good schools but I dont know how good. I would suggest private if you can afford it.
its up to your tolerance level of crime whether baltimore is right for you.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Are you nuts ? YES. Read the multitude of threads describing the bleak quality of life here in "Charm city". You'd be better off in Nashville, or Little Rock, or a host of other cities. But for the sake of your kids, get this insane notion out of your mind.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 PM

I think I can afford a reasonable private school, but not 20K per child or anything close to that. Are there good private schools that are affordable? Around 5K per child, maybe?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 PM

probably religious schools or something like that for 5k but if you don't want that you could try for financial aid or a scholarship.
Baltimore is a nice city if you dont have to worry about your safety or your childrens safety.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
There is a lot of exaggeration on this thread. Baltimore surely isn't the best city in the country, but there are many people here who love it and are happy here. Locust Point is a great option. It's urban living in a quiet environment. And there are many neighborhoods, especially in the northern part of the city where you could live comfortably with your family. See the sticky at the top of the Baltimore forum for a list of neighborhoods.

I cannot comment on schools as I do not have children, but there are many private schools in the area.

To me, the downside is the property tax rate. Baltimore City's tax rate is more than twice any other county in Maryland: MD Current Tax Rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore