Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times

Advertisements

DW and I lived in Bolton Hill and later Canton waterfront back in the golden age of Yuppiedom, the 1980s. The adventure of life took us to Alexandria, VA and then Fairfax County, where our DD grew up.

She graduated from HS this past June. Deem her launched, for the purposes of this thread.

It occurs to us we don't have to live in Fairfax anymore. And we miss city living. So we might at some point want to return to it. We probably won't really move for two years or so, for reasons I do not want to burden the thread with - since no one can foresee the future, assume we are looking to move imminently.

DC is expensive, and we have fond memories of Baltimore, so Baltimore suggests itself. I work near the Navy Yard in SE DC, so a nice MARC ride and then a short hop from Union Station isnt much worse than my current commute of express bus to Yellow line to Green Line. However this would mean the ONLY places in Baltimore we would be interested in would be short easy walks to either Penn Station or Camden Station.

As far as safety, lets target places no more dangerous than say, North Bolton Hill circa 1989. Perferably somewhat less dangerous (say South Bolton Hill circa 1989).

For RE, lets assume we are looking for a rowhouse, at least 2 Br, 1.5 baths. Bigger would be nice, nice architecture would be nice. Strong community would be nice (doesn't have to be as intense as Bolton Hill was, but preferably not anonymous). And lets say a price no higher than 325k or so.

I am assuming that Camden station area is safer, but smaller houses? About same prices? Going further from Penn station to get cheaper doesn't help as it means less safe? Not sure if similar near Camden Station?

And how about Bolton Hill? In the old days the walk from BH to Penn Station was a little sketchy. Is it still? Since only South Bolton Hill is really walkable to PS, I assume its probably out of our price range anyway.

Are there are any easy quick circulator type buses that wouldnt add too much to my commute, that would open up more areas for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,629,670 times
Federal Hill or Otterbein would be great for you. You could get on the Camden Line, or take the circulator bus up to Penn Station for the Penn Line. The circulator goes as far south as Ostend Street.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

My god. looking at redfin, I didnt realize Otterbein and FH were this cheap (bubble bursting consequences?) And Ridgely's Delight is even more tempting.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My god. looking at redfin, I didnt realize Otterbein and FH were this cheap (bubble bursting consequences?) And Ridgely's Delight is even more tempting.
Ridgely's was my suggestion. Seems great for this couple.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,140,172 times
You may even consider Pigtown or Barre Circle as well if you're thinking about Ridgelys. I've always really liked that neighborhood though.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,712 times
I moved to BH 2 years ago and really like it. I live on the 1700 Bolton St and it's nice.

State Center is a big project that is happening in the area soon.
State Center

A Barnes and Noble just opened in the Fitzgerald right next to MICA.
Baltimore Apartments for Rent in Mount Vernon, Baltimore MD | 1201 West Mt. Royal Ave. Baltimore, MD 21217

Baltimore does have a circulator now and a route goes thru Mt. Vernon so it's nice to get around.
Home | Charm City Circulator

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM

I was living at Old Friends, DW was living on 1700 block of Bolton, when we met at Bolton Street Synagogue (which was still in the neighborhood then - in fact it did not yet have its own building, we were in the social hall of the Presby church)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: