Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 41,747 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to the DC area later this summer and would like to find a place in Howard County. Family consists of Mom, Dad and 3 young kids. Looking for a safe neighborhood with rental homes in the $2500 - $3000/month range. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,315 times
You can live probably live anywhere that you want but you may need to make trade offs. Apt, townhome, condo, single family. Yard size, rural, suburban but fairly dense, near park, schools, etc? Everyone in Howard County uses the same books and follows the same basic criteria, however because of the differences in the student body mix the MSA results can vary. School boundaries are made by the BOE and are subject to change, however they will probably not make adjust until 2013 when I think they may make a substantial one. Almost, every high school in Howard County made the most recent national top school list (if you believe in those types of list).

Columbia - You can find live in anything from a apt. to a SFH, yard size would probably max out at 1/2 acre. You will be close to everything but will be in a relatively dense suburb (not too dense, IMO). The more you spend the better the school district based off MSAs, safer (overall a very safe community), larger homes.

Ellicott City - Definitely apt, condo, townhome and maybe a home. SFH go from 400+, but you mainly see the 550+ homes on the market

Fulton - Extremely small lots, very new community, very nice, good schools and upscale, still up and coming. Pricey but they are finally reducing prices to more reasonable levels. I think you could get a condo or townhome. SFH will probably be out of reach. My concern would be the number of people who bought in the last few years, defaulting on loans.

Clarksville - Not too many apts, definitely condo or townhome. SFH are usually 500+, I have notice some shorts and foreclosure which can be an opportunity for people who want to move into the neighborhood. Based off MSAs some of the top schools in Hoco.

Elkridge - Definitely apts, townhomes or SFH. Some people do not like it, I think because of the trailer parks in the area. More growth in this area, they are looking to build a new elementary and middle school.

Laurel - Definitely apts, townhomes or SFH. Some of the schools are pretty good based off of MSA and others are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore