Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,669 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in perring loch area..its okay but its bmore so you got to watch your back. i just wish they had better shopping areas. We got that belvedere gardens..a hot mess and then northwood shopping center avoid at all costs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM

23 posts, read 64,039 times
Where is Kenilworth Park? Is that off of Kenilworth near Bellona?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Loyola, Morgan

Loyola is constantly trying to expand, except that it is lanlocked and hamstrung by two of the city's most prestigious neighborhoods, Guilford and Roland Park. So except for the student towers on Cold Spring (west of Charles) there is relatively little affordable rental housing.
As to Morgan, it is surrounded by all kinds of neighborhoods that are surprisingly stable. Some have rental housing in rowhouses; many are populated by ordinary African-American families who go to work every day and have the joys and sorrows of ordinary people. There is nothing exciting about those neighborhoods, but they are livable in the sense that thousands of people live there, apparently contently, by their own choice.
I am constantly surprised how race is the predictable subtext in this board's discussion of neighborhoods, one (unsaid) view being that if a neighborhood is African-American, it is no good and should be avoided. This view is shared by the corporate community; shopping in many stable, predominantly AA middle-class areas is either nonexistent or second-rate.
So what is the common element that units both the Loyola area and the rowhouse neighborhoods around Morgan. Possibly this: They all have issues with students hogging precious parking spaces on street. Near Loyola you even see printed signs on lawns that declare: No Loyola.
One more thing about the Morgan area: What really pees me off more than anything else are lifestyle conflicts, which often do have a racial dimension. You don't want to live next to someone who is playing loud rap 24 hours a day. The conflict worsens if this also involves wee-hour partying and coming and going and cars honking horns outside at 3 a.m.
I don't know about other cities, but in Baltimore, regardless of neighborhood -- and I know this because I am surrounded by Orthodox families -- young people honk horns. What happened to kids knocking on doors and asking politely, "Hi, I'm here to pick up Amy?" The same thing happened that dictates you to park in the middle of the street even if there is ample parking next to the gutter.
Of course in much of Baltimore, the oldstyle dating seems to have disappeared altogether. Instead you just pick up anyone at the corner. (As you can see, I am feeling grumpy today).

Last edited by barante; 07-19-2010 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-two-tots View Post
Where is Kenilworth Park? Is that off of Kenilworth near Bellona?
No, that's a different Kenilworth. It is just north or Wilson Park, east of Winston-Govans, west of New Northwood, and south of Cameron Village. My neice's classmate lives there. It can be a rough hood sometimes.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=39....600421&zoom=16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore