Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 142,922 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm searching for apartments in Baltimore (I'm moving there from Richmond in September) and it seems like Bolton Hill is my favorite so far. I was in town this weekend and drove around the neighborhood, and it seemed like a nice neighborhood - similar to the one I live in now in Richmond (minus the scary areas surrounding it!).

However, in searching on craigslist tonight, I've seen a few listings for apartments in the Union Square Park area, and the pictures look really nice. However, I've been told the west side is a bad area. I looked at the police crime web site and there was absolutely no reports of crime in that area in the last 2 weeks (as opposed to tons of robberies and vehicle larceny in bolton hill).

So is Union Square Park actually a nice area? Specifically Hollins at Gilmor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Give it a chance

We lived in a huge Victorian, built in 1857, on Union Square between 1989 and 2000. Those were great years, although we grew tired of taking care of a crumbling money pit, and we still go back to see old neighbors.
Pluses: With the University of Maryland finally having crossed MLK (look at all that construction on Baltimore Street), the area may be in for a major revitalization push. Prices certainly have shot up. If you work/study at UM downtown, their shuttle should serve Union Square. A couple of bus lines use Baltimore Street. A new wave of business revitalization is going on around Hollins Market. A pizzeria recently opened, a Vietnamese restaurant will be next. Already there is Bistro, which is terrific on good days and not so on off days.
Minuses: Union Square is an island of gentrification amid a sea of poverty. That can present problems and property crimes, statistics notwithstanding, are a problem. Neverthless, leaving a car on the street at Union Square is probably safer than in Bolton Hill. There is drug activity and quite a bit of prostitution.
So? If you can find a nice apartment with affordable rent, I would go for it for the convenience of the neighborhood (MARC train is nearby, so is the interstate to Washington).
The best thing about Union Square has always been its residents, although bizarre neighborhood feuds are not unknown. There is a Christmas-time cookie tour of renovated houses, some of which are amazing. There used to be (and possibly still is) a book club.
As to love lost and gained, Union Square has been a never-ending soap opera. Might be called "As the Square turns."

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,009 times
Union Square is a wonderful neighborhood -- I have several customers who live there and walk to my cafe. Somehow, through the magic of common sense, they manage to arrive safely and back home again without any incident. (Knock on...Ikea wood-like MDF surface). It's one of the neighborhoods I looked at before we moved to Baltimore, and sometimes I wish I would have jumped on the house sooner rather than too late. :-)

Old 07-14-2007, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,666 times
We have lived right off of the Square for the past year and love it. Believe me it is a spicy neighborhood at times, with its poverty and associated issues; however we have always felt there is a police presence and the neighborhood is on a definite upswing with the U of M Bio-park and Poppleton Street Project.

The Pros- It’s in a great location to get on the major highways and we can walk to Camden Yards. Working closer to DC, we save at least 15 minutes. We always find parking and I agree that parking is easier and possibly safer then say Bolton Hill or Federal Hill for that matter. We have never gotten citations for items such as trash cans which has been a big thing for friends in Mount Vernon. There is a new upscale pizza place that is great, other places are in the works. You have Hollins Market (with their famous bacon), and the Neighborhood Assoc., though eccentric and causers of their own problems, demonstrates a definite desire to make their neighborhood better. The SOWEBO festival in May rocks...

Minus – As you get closer to Baltimore Ave, it can be intimidating. The local stores like Safeway have their management issues with expirations and such, and you see a lot of poverty as you drive through the streets to get to the highway. Oh, and they have filmed The Wire down the street from our house and after seeing The Wire it sort of depresses you to know your street could act as an inspiration for that show.

I think you should definitely check out Union Square as we were in the same boat last year and were struck by the difference we were getting for the money with the potential upswing.

Goodluck

Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,009 times
Honestly, if I didn't live close enough to Union Square to get delivery from that pizza place, I'd move. The pizza is fantastic and they arrived in around 30 minutes or so. :-)

Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 14,730 times
Thumbs up I love Union Square

I've been living in Union Square (directly on the park) for the past 14+ years. I love it!

In the interests of full disclosure, I run the neighborhood website: Union Square Online

Regards, Chris Everett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore