Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times

Advertisements

Two men were fined $90 while saving a deer on the Patapsco River for not wearing life jackets.

Maybe next time these men will think twice before doing a good deed.

2 Fined For Deer Rescue Say They'd Do It Again - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
why rescue a deer?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM

143 posts, read 365,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
why rescue a deer?
Why not? It is a living animal, and it was suffering.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 AM

74 posts, read 248,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
Why not? It is a living animal, and it was suffering.
Yes, BUT..... if the two men had needed rescue it means rescue members must risk their lives for something Mother Nature has happen every second we spin on this marble. Seems callused, but rather risky endangerment of their lives.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Very good points. I wasn't necessarily saying that I would have done what they did (I'm not necessarily saying that I wouldn't either), but they did have a reason to do it.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM

I wasn't trying to sound heartless. Seeing it in person, I guess I might feel that way, too.

Just from my observations, the deer population in some areas of the urban and suburban Patapsco valley (and also in some city parks) seems to be a little too large for the amount of sustience available to them in winter. Some of the ones I've seen recently seem rather lanky.

I'm no hunter, but a few weeks ago, a grad student friend of mine happened upon a deer on Hopkins campus which had broke its legs miscalculating a jump over a car. A group of undergrads watched from afar as my friend approached the deer, perhaps they thought he was going to save it. They were probably astounded when my friend, a rancher from Montana put it out of its misery with a knife. He later butchered it in his basement and distributed the meat to his neigbors.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'm no hunter, but a few weeks ago, a grad student friend of mine happened upon a deer on Hopkins campus which had broke its legs miscalculating a jump over a car. A group of undergrads watched from afar as my friend approached the deer, perhaps they thought he was going to save it. They were probably astounded when my friend, a rancher from Montana put it out of its misery with a knife. He later butchered it in his basement and distributed the meat to his neigbors.
That must have been a surprise lol. Goucher has a very large deer population and a couple years ago they actually hosted a hunt.

Explore Baltimore County: College campus deer hunt timed for winter break

I was always wondered how so many deer got inside the beltway in the first place, there arn't alot of woods in that part of Towson (apart from the Goucher Campus.)

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM

I remember that Goucher hunt. So funny to think of deer prancing around the lobby of the nearby Sheraton or Towson Town Center.

You'd be surprised with how many deer there are in Leakin Park (which is a tremendous place, so maybe it isn't that surprising) and Druid Hill Park despite being completely surrounded by the city. Once on one of the old roads through the north end of Druid Hill I almost collided with one while on my bike.

I call them urban deer, which I think conjures up images of them boarding and alighting buses and going into corner stores to get bags of Utz chips and sodas. But the reality is they just eat the broccoli I plant in the (perhaps illegal?) garden I keep in one of the city's parks.

My Montana friend has his eyes on an 8-point buck who struts around Leakin Park like he owns the joint. No hunting on city property, though.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I would agree... the urban deer population is getting rather high.. Its rather common to see a deer running across W. Coldspring Lane or along Windsor Mill Road in Baltimore City. This time of year.. they must be starving

Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 23,993 times
In reference to cutting up the deer. It's a good thing that it was not a pit bull. You might have been sent to jail. Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore