Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 PM

31 posts, read 98,638 times

Advertisements

oh I wasn't saying less housing options equates to an unsuccessful city. There are obviously many things that make a city unsuccessful. The point I was making was that varied housing options will make the city more attractive to a variety of people with varying income levels and family situations. I guess we'll know more about the make up of Baltimore when they release the more detailed census results in Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
I'm confused...you spoke of families in single family homes...but you really meant rich people in single family homes?

So more like

guilford baltimore - Google Maps

Roland Park baltimore - Google Maps

Mount Washington baltimore - Google Maps

Ten Hills baltimore - Google Maps

Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision6800 View Post
I don't mind the row homes, but come on...a $200k row home that is 9 feet wide? Or the ridiculously small rooms in these places. No thanks.
Many of them are wider than 9 feet. And 200 grand for a home near downtown in Baltimore is a bargain compared to other cities.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM

48 posts, read 186,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Many of them are wider than 9 feet. And 200 grand for a home near downtown in Baltimore is a bargain compared to other cities.
Yes but those other cities have things that draw people to them, not repel them.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision6800 View Post
Yes but those other cities have things that draw people to them, not repel them.

Good one. But, I was drawn to Baltimore. You have to weigh the good and the bad. I came from Boston--one of those "other" cities and happen to like Baltimore. I would much rather live by a great park in a nice rowhome than let's say a typical burb like Catonsville. Just my opinion though. You are free to disagree.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Good one. But, I was drawn to Baltimore. You have to weigh the good and the bad. I came from Boston--one of those "other" cities and happen to like Baltimore. I would much rather live by a great park in a nice rowhome than let's say a typical burb like Catonsville. Just my opinion though. You are free to disagree.

Just curious, where did you live in Boston and where do you live in Baltimore?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemy1 View Post
Just curious, where did you live in Boston and where do you live in Baltimore?
In Boston, I lived in the south end near Columbus. In Baltimore, I live on Baltimore Street across from the park.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Oh my gosh, there are a lot of rowhouses in Baltimore! Admittedly, I'm not familiar with your city at all and never really researched it enough to know anything much about it other than the harbor. But I just looked at Bing maps on Bird's eye view and saw neighborhood after neighborhood full of them spreading out from the downtown core. In some ways, I think that's actually a good thing because it creates a more urban vibe. There are a lot of cities that would LOVE to have that kind of housing stock. There's a lot of potential there.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
I don't even know where to begin with the OP. I will simply state that the most efficient way to build housing is to use what is already there.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Billiam, I'm just making the point that it would be nice to have different kinds of homes in the Baltimore city area where perhaps some of those vacant row housing lots are. I'm already aware of the areas you're showing me. They seem more like the suburbs of a city than the actual urban area of the city.

For example, the neighborhoods of Brookline or Charlestown actually have detached single family homes in them, and they are a 45 mins or less walk to the areas which make up much of what most would consider the downtown area of Boston. The areas you showed me seemed to be further area from the more urban areas of Baltimore. In many ways the areas you showed me seem more like Newtown, MA-- close but not really part of the city confines.

Perhaps my point of view is skewed because I'm in Boston and Boston's population is more dense than Baltimore's population.

It just seems that the endless streets of row houses abutting the sidewalk with no green space or trees is abit dismaying. It's almost as if in those areas the goal was simply to build houses and not living spaces, and it's unfortunate. Urban living can be dense without being disheartening. And if Baltimore city is really trying to make itself more dense it has only two options get more people to move to the city or/and get those who live farther from the city center to move closer to the city center.

To me, dealing with the people who you have would seem to be an easier option, than trying to attract more people to the city. Why not give the people who live further out the kinds of spaces they desire closer to the city. I think it would be kind of cool to see more detached homes with yards closer to the city. I live a 9 min drive outside the city of boston, and there are some amazing detached homes with yards in my neighborhood and this in a small more densely packed city with the same number of people as Baltimore. So if Boston can generate these kinds of spaces, so too can Baltimore. For some reason, I don't find endless streets of row homes all that charming (although Baltimore has some amazing housing stock).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore