Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM

91 posts, read 337,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Easier to spell, but much more insulting.
That's the point. "Ambiguous" is insulting enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 28,678 times
Quote:
Easier to spell, but much more insulting and adds no descriptive value.
West Side Boy, I'll give you $5 to learn how to crack smile at other people's jokes.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 28,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAve D.C. View Post
Don't forget the way they pronounce "yessir".

0:20-0:40

YouTube - Hood to Hood baltimore
Nice! lol

Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Wow this topic is hilarious..

Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Can someone help a geezer with an honest question? I looked at the hood-to-hood video. The guys in the video don't seem to have much self-respect. Is this an act for people like me, or do they really deal with life at this level? No wonder some of the posters on this forum (I'm talking mainly about the educated, articulate Blacks) seem to be so frustrated with inner-city Baltimore culture. Thanks . . .

Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSki View Post
West Side Boy, I'll give you $5 to learn how to crack smile at other people's jokes.
I can smile when something is funny. Calling someone a "Mutt" isn't. For the record, I don't find the term "racially ambigous (however you spell it)" insulting. There are people of mixed race people that defy easy desciption, to others and even themselves. This is life and the term "ambigious" carries neither a positive nor negetive connotation in my mind.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I can smile when something is funny. Calling someone a "Mutt" isn't. For the record, I don't find the term "racially ambigous (however you spell it)" insulting. There are people of mixed race people that defy easy desciption, to others and even themselves. This is life and the term "ambigious" carries neither a positive nor negetive connotation in my mind.
But nobody wants to call his/her kids racially "ambiguous." You've obviously never been there. "Mixed" may be a better term. The U.S. has to start thinking in terms of people as U.S. citizens, with equal rights, not as a hodgepodge of races that inevitably will keep some races over others. In the past, you would have mixed black and white without the consent of society; but nowadays it happens among educated people too. So what are you going to tell these kids, you are some kind of freak?? No, they are U.S. citizens and human beings with the same capabilities as any other. The CNN anchor, I think, is a fine example of that. So is President Obama. Race should be dropped from the census, the mere fact is racist. World is changing.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, and the "Mutt" thing was pure sarcasm.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Can someone help a geezer with an honest question? I looked at the hood-to-hood video. The guys in the video don't seem to have much self-respect. Is this an act for people like me, or do they really deal with life at this level? No wonder some of the posters on this forum (I'm talking mainly about the educated, articulate Blacks) seem to be so frustrated with inner-city Baltimore culture. Thanks . . .
This is for real. It's a regressive culture.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler00 View Post
But nobody wants to call his/her kids racially "ambiguous." You've obviously never been there. "Mixed" may be a better term. The U.S. has to start thinking in terms of people as U.S. citizens, with equal rights, not as a hodgepodge of races that inevitably will keep some races over others. In the past, you would have mixed black and white without the consent of society; but nowadays it happens among educated people too. So what are you going to tell these kids, you are some kind of freak?? No, they are U.S. citizens and human beings with the same capabilities as any other. The CNN anchor, I think, is a fine example of that. So is President Obama. Race should be dropped from the census, the mere fact is racist. World is changing.
Mixed is a probably the most current PC term. As for being there? Some of my ancestors were clearly racially ambiguous. We don't know what race they were. They were probably a mix of indian, white, maybe even black. My grandfather's skin tone could only be described as bronze, a lot darker than many mixed black/white people. We don't know where it came from. That is what ambiguous means : open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations; equivocal.

What makes that insulting? Sometimes you just don't know, even if you ask the question. That is reality, not just today, but in the past too. People should be proud of who they are, whether it is one race, two races, several races, or ambiguously mixed. I don't want a post-racial society. I am proud to be who I am, white at a glance, but with some pretty cool mystery ancestors in the mix too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore