Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,027 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone familiar with Baltimore could advise whether driving Wilkens Avenue from Bolton Hill is a safe route to UMBC? I'm only familiar with the more touristy parts of the city and I have heard parts of this route may be unsafe. Unfortunately it seems this is the only direct route. Any additional info about the safety of a central Bolton Hill location for two late 20's females would be appreciated. Our only other prospect is a place in Catonsville. We are aware the differences are huge and prefer the Bolton Hill neighborhood but the specific apt found in Catonsville is an amazing deal/large and seems safer. Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Not totally familiar with Wilkens Ave., but you'd probably be able to take MLK down to Russell St./95 as well. It's not quite as direct, but you should have less traffic lights and stuff.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
I would take MLK to 95S to 195W because cutting through the city you will hit a lot of lights and the areas you drive through aren't nice.

1700 Bolton St, Baltimore, MD 21217 to UMBC - Google Maps

Bolton Hill is nice and has a lot of students from MICA. The neighborhood is quiet for the most part but there are a couple places to eat and Mt. Vernon is really close for other stuff. I'm sure you would enjoy the neighborhood if you like the city.

Catonsville is nice too and is really close to UMBC. It's not the city but if you got a place close to 144 then you should be able to walk to places.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,027 times
Thanks for all of your input. I tested both routes out during the day and definitely preferred MLK to 95. Parts of Wilkens did not seem safe at all, even during the day. It was pretty shocking.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm05871 View Post
Thanks for all of your input. I tested both routes out during the day and definitely preferred MLK to 95. Parts of Wilkens did not seem safe at all, even during the day. It was pretty shocking.
So sorry you were shocked.

That's the reality of living in Baltimore though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore