Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Any park in NOVA is better quite frankly.
And quite a bit more boring to be frank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
And quite a bit more boring to be frank.
True-crack heads and vandalism always add character

Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
True-crack heads and vandalism always add character
I suggest you take a walk through the park. It is not the same Patterson Park as 10 years ago. Significant changes have occured on all 4 sides along with the park itself. I don't think "Travel and Leisure" would have written about it if your statement had any accuracy.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I suggest you take a walk through the park. It is not the same Patterson Park as 10 years ago. Significant changes have occured on all 4 sides along with the park itself. I don't think "Travel and Leisure" would have written about it if your statement had any accuracy.
??? I lived by the park in the early 80's and again in 2003. Took my dogs for a hike around the park this past February. Looked pretty much the same to me as it always has?

I do give credit to the surrounding neighborhoods for all the activities that take place there though. The music festivals are wonderful. I do think Patterson Park is a major draw for living in east Baltimore but maybe I take it for granted. Prefer more rural state parks I guess.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
I've never seen crackheads there during the daytime. Maybe a homeless guy or two, but that's about it. Most, if not all of the crime there takes place at night, when you shouldn't be at the park anyway.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
??? I lived by the park in the early 80's and again in 2003. Took my dogs for a hike around the park this past February. Looked pretty much the same to me as it always has?

I do give credit to the surrounding neighborhoods for all the activities that take place there though. The music festivals are wonderful. I do think Patterson Park is a major draw for living in east Baltimore but maybe I take it for granted. Prefer more rural state parks I guess.

Well there have been quite a few significant changes to the park since that time:
1. The boat lake was completely drained and redone.
2. New lighting throughout the park.
3. The marble fountain was repaired, cleaned and now running.
4. More than 100 new trees have been planted.
5. The playground area for the kids was built and fenced.
6. The entrances at Baltimore and Linwood along with Baltimore and Patterson Park Ave have been redone.
7. The pagoda was cleaned up.
8. New signs have been posted.
9. Walkways have been spruced up.
10. Much less crime/litter is occuring.
11. The flea markets and other local events have been established.
12. And the most important, the Friends of Patterson Park was established and is coordinating continuing activites and improvements. (Many of which would not have occured without this great group of volunteers.)

Patterson Park has drastically improved. The evidence is established and it has been recognized nationally for those improvements.

Friends of Patterson Park

Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post

In addition to what JJ said. The Neighborhood around the Park to the North and East really started renovating around 03' so there have been significant improvements in the last 8 years, especially in the last 4.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
Well, I do give the community credit. I remember a time when people avoided the park and now it is a center of activity so, people who have worked to better the park should be proud.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I've never seen crackheads there during the daytime. Maybe a homeless guy or two, but that's about it. Most, if not all of the crime there takes place at night, when you shouldn't be at the park anyway.
Baltimore Crime Beat: Alleged Patterson Park Bloods leader indicted - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM

And you dig up an article that is almost a year old to prove your point?
No one said there was no crime in the area. There is. But, the point many are trying to make including the original article from Travel and Leisure is that it is recognized for the improvements that have taken place.

Also, the guy arrested lived in the 1100 block of Milton. That's a long way from the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore