Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

I doubt this link will work. But the alleged is Marcus S. Harris DOB 10/01/78. By my count he has been through the system 22 times dating back to 1997. Many of the charges included carrying weapons and carrying concealed weapons. He has the requestite number of nol proses, stets, probation after conviction, etc. I have to wonder why someone like this is even on the streets. You would think after 22 times through the system, the guy isn't getting the message to stay out of trouble.

WOW...WTF..

Sadly its a little too late.. I agree the guy should have never been on the streets.

I can't visit the link right now, so I don't know if all these offenses happened in Baltimore or not..

But I have to assume the victims family should have some sort of lawsuit against the city..

I'm not a lawyer though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Not sure you can sue a City for allowing Criminals to stay out of jail, but that could be the type of suit that would make the city clean up their act.

Gregg Bernstein is now the States Attorney, following an awful and embarrassing regime from Patricia Jessamy. I think Bernstein has done and will continue to do a great job. He has found creative ways to get people to testify, and he seeks punishments harsher than the previous regime.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
WOW...WTF..

Sadly its a little too late.. I agree the guy should have never been on the streets.

I can't visit the link right now, so I don't know if all these offenses happened in Baltimore or not..

But I have to assume the victims family should have some sort of lawsuit against the city..

I'm not a lawyer though...
You can enter the name (make sure to use the middle initial) into the case search screen the link brings up. Double check the DOB too. I only searched Baltimore City, to find the 22, there may be other cases in other counties.

I am not a lawyer either, but I don't think a party can sue the state's attorney or the court system over the disposition of a criminal charge. It is some sort of immunity that is necessary since even a good prosecutor and good judge can sometimes make a decision that in hindsight is the wrong one.

But 22 times since 1997 through the system, including charges for weapons that didn't lead to extended jail time is inexusable to me. So long as the criminal justice system in this state operates on the "catch and release" program, the rest of us are exposed to ticking time bombs like this alleged perp.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
So people Gather at the tourist friendly harbor to enjoy a family night out..On the fourth of July
And there is yet another shooting and stabbing..

Someone shot a 4 year old child?

Pathetic, Disgusting.. Then the media shows these disgusting thugs giggling and laughing while walking down the street.

Remember the government wants to use some of YOUR TAX DOLLARS, to "re-energize or improve the harbor.."

sigh...

DISGUSTING.

Story just posted online.

Child Shot During Baltimore Fireworks Celebration « CBS Baltimore
I hope I live to see the day when people turn off their video games and television sets and get mad enough to do something about this kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,775 times
"Where his past convictions are relevent is in the court of public opinion. This incident has given the city a black eye. A tourist gets stabbed in the throat with a broken bottle by an alleged perp with a violent criminal past. Everyone who ever said, "See B-more is a dangerous place full of violent criminals even in touristy areas," now has a high profile piece of evidence to back up their belief."

The court of public opinion is irrelevant. Some people are going to believe the "tourist" got what he deserved because he reengaged and others will use this incident as a platform to rail against urban/Black America.

Who started the fight? Why did the tourist reengage? Was he trying to be a "tough guy"? Was the alleged perp defending himself? Was he just continuing his thuggery? Nowadays you have to assume that people - black or white - are carrrying, whether it be on their person or in their car. You just never know. The victim should've WALKED away. Had he done that he might still be alive and this "black eye" wouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscratch View Post
"Where his past convictions are relevent is in the court of public opinion. This incident has given the city a black eye. A tourist gets stabbed in the throat with a broken bottle by an alleged perp with a violent criminal past. Everyone who ever said, "See B-more is a dangerous place full of violent criminals even in touristy areas," now has a high profile piece of evidence to back up their belief."

The court of public opinion is irrelevant. Some people are going to believe the "tourist" got what he deserved because he reengaged and others will use this incident as a platform to rail against urban/Black America.

Who started the fight? Why did the tourist reengage? Was he trying to be a "tough guy"? Was the alleged perp defending himself? Was he just continuing his thuggery? Nowadays you have to assume that people - black or white - are carrrying, whether it be on their person or in their car. You just never know. The victim should've WALKED away. Had he done that he might still be alive and this "black eye" wouldn't be an issue.
The court of public opinion is very relevant to a city trying desparately to stop decades of population loss, attract tourists, and change the image of the city away from a dangerous, violent place, where you have to walk fast, keep your head up, but eyes down.

This is exactly my point, any time a Baltimore poster comes on here and minimizes the victim getting bled out with a broken bottle at a public festival with comments like "some people are going to think the victim got what he deserved," or "you have to assume everbody is carrying," or "the victim should have just walked away," it further illustrates the gap between the attitude of many Baltimore residents versus the attitude of most of the rest of the state and country. A crime like this, regardless of the events that preceeded it, would be universally mourned and regretted nearly everywhere. Not in Baltimore, it is just another day at the office.....

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-12-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
I for one am glad that the person responsible has been taken in, but I doubt the city will put him away for a long as he deserves. I wouldn't be surprised if he was back on the streets to re-offend within a decade or two.

Quote:
This is exactly my point, any time a Baltimore poster comes on here and minimizes the victim getting bled out with a broken bottle at a public festival with comments like "some people are going to think the victim got what he deserved," or "you have to assume everbody is carrying," or "the victim should have just walked away," it further illustrates the gap between the attitude of many Baltimore residents versus the attitude of most of the rest of the state and country. A crime like this, regardless of the events that preceeded it, would be universally mourned and regretted nearly everywhere. Not in Baltimore, it is just another day at the office.....
There has been tons of outrage from Baltimore's citizens. In NYC this event (an out of towner dies after a fight) would have been completely forgotten already and the media would have spent less than 5 minutes on it initially. I think you are either underestimating Baltimore or overestimating Americans.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Quote:
No, I believe the deceased was white based on the picture I saw in the news link.
On one hand you are correct, the alleged's past convictions are probably not admissible as evidence in court. He will be tried and judged based on the facts of this incident alone. His sentence, if convicted, would take the previous convictions into consideration

Where his past convictions are relevent is in the court of public opinion. This incident has given the city a black eye. A tourist gets stabbed in the throat with a broken bottle by an alleged perp with a violent criminal past. Everyone who ever said, "See B-more is a dangerous place full of violent criminals even in touristy areas," now has a high profile piece of evidence to back up their belief.

Maryland Judiciary Case Search

I doubt this link will work. But the alleged is Marcus S. Harris DOB 10/01/78. By my count he has been through the system 22 times dating back to 1997. Many of the charges included carrying weapons and carrying concealed weapons. He has the requestite number of nol proses, stets, probation after conviction, etc. I have to wonder why someone like this is even on the streets. You would think after 22 times through the system, the guy isn't getting the message to stay out of trouble.
Well, that helps explain things.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Well, that helps explain things.
Oh, your right, it has to be racism. Never mind that people (including you and me) were already harping all over this thread before a picture of the alleged perp or the victim were released.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-13-2011 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
I for one am glad that the person responsible has been taken in, but I doubt the city will put him away for a long as he deserves. I wouldn't be surprised if he was back on the streets to re-offend within a decade or two.

There has been tons of outrage from Baltimore's citizens. In NYC this event (an out of towner dies after a fight) would have been completely forgotten already and the media would have spent less than 5 minutes on it initially. I think you are either underestimating Baltimore or overestimating Americans.
I don't think I have ever been accused of overestimating Americans before, so that would be a first

I hope I am underestimating Baltimore. I would have thought that such a crime would have aroused more indignation on this discussion board. Instead it has been a few of us arguing with a majority of posters that are making excuses left and right for a public throat slitting at a city sponsored event. We have even had the race card pulled out now (see above posts)

I know this forum doesn't represent a cross section of the city at large, but I would have guessed the local posters would be pre-selected as being sympathetic to a dead tourist due to possessing the means to have computer access and an interest in a discussion board like this. I just try and imagine these posters as my neighbors, or sitting in the jury box when this case goes to trial. Would they call the cops if they saw a fight turn into a slaying? Or just look the other way since the guy "was asking for it?" Would they pull out a weapon on me if we got into a heated shouting match about who is responsible for trash in a shared alley (I could be armed, you know?) Would they be able to view the facts of the case and apply the exisiting law in a court setting? Or would they resort to "swamp law" and refuse to convict the guy because of personal beliefs in justified violence?

I don't know. It is just very eye-opening to me that otherwise "normal" people would willingly live in a mental construct where everybody is always armed, all physical conflict inevitabley leads to weapons being produced, and a dead tourist is assumed on his face to be culpible in his own slaying because he picked a fight with someone from Baltimore. I understand now why change is so slow there, you can identify root problems, throw money at various solutions, but in the end if a large part of the average population identifies with a culture of violence and "getting theirs" and "saving face" at all costs, what can you do?

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-13-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore