Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 12,250 times

Advertisements

I dont really use this, but i just need some straightforward answers.

I'm from LA n lived in NYC murray hill. I never really feared anything or felt unsafe at all in both places. but nyc just had mad cops. crime in LA doesnt really work the same way as an east coast city either. there arent really ghettos bordering nice areas is sorta a gradual degradation in LA. didnt live in beverly hills so not any yuppy mofo.

But it seems like in baltimore, the shady areas may only be a mile away or a few blocks away because of the nature of the city. I been to Bmore a couple times but dont know jack because ive only been to ravens and orioles games.

i just wanna know where the crackheads at so i can avoid them. i just bought my new phone and dont feel like parting with it so a crackhead can trade it for a little sack. crackheads and tweekers.

going to school downtown at umb.

centre street by the monument mt vernon area i guess?

below randall street in federall hill riverside park

franklin street at park

downtown by school

i visited the school once but the area a few blocks north of the harbor seemed alot less crowded and safe. this was just my first impression though so i dont wanna offend anybody haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,214 times
I've lived below Randall for 7 years and love it. 6 years on the 1700 block of Charles, and a little over a year on 1800 Light. There are a few characters that walk around, usually on Heath St and 1700 block of Light, but 98% of the neighborhood is young professionals, educated young families or empty nesters, and those characters are harmless.

In my opinion, Federal Hill is just a terrific neighborhood for people out of college. Nothing is depressing about college ending when you move to federal hill. Tons of bars, singles, sports leagues, festivals, gyms, events, food and more. In my seven years, I've never felt uncomfortable once, and I walk my dog all hours of the night.

Mt. Vernon is nice, but more of an Artsy and Gay crowd, the area around the school.. Ridgley's Camden Yards area is pretty nice and very convenient. Stay East of MLK and South of Fayette and you should be just fine.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM

158 posts, read 395,540 times
Ditto - Mt. Vernon and Fed Hill are totally fine. You still need to employ normal city smarts - which sounds like you have from living in LA and NYC (although - having lived in Murray Hill for 3 years about 5-8 years ago - - Murray Hill is *nothing* like Baltimore - ha).

Ridgely's Delight is totally fine, too.

In my opinion, living in the "heart" of downtown isn't super appealing - - the neighborhood vibe is missing (there are only a few high-rise buildings I think?) and there are definitely more shady characters just milling about... But I wouldn't call it unsafe, either.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,250 times
thanks for the info. It was much more informative than trying to look on google street view for homies on the corner.

i dont think im living downtown.

so both mt vernon and federal hill are areas you can walk to get food and whatever you need without being hit up by crackheads?

which area has more bars and **** to do? also walking to get food is important to me.

can i walk to school from mt vernon or fed hill? never really drove in snow....haha

im also trying to keep my car somewhat secure. depending on where i live might use a parking garage for 100/month. do they have gates or any security features?

im sure these are questions that have been answered billions of times, but i tried looking at other threads and its people debating ridiculous things. Probably being paranoid too but i dont wanna be the guy who gets jacked because he didnt know.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,214 times
Federal Hill definitely has more bars. Try to find a rental with a parking spot, and your life would be much easier. There are some rental spots, not sure how to start that search process though. Federal Hill is very safe, the adjacent neighborhood, Locust Point, is the 3 safest urban neighborhood in America. The only spot I would avoid is "Hamburg St" going towards the Ravens Stadium. There is a small "Affordable Housing" complex at the end of the street, and some property crimes and Police sirens go with it, but it is pretty well contained for the most part.

Mt. Vernon is nice too, parking can be challenging there as well. Fed Hill is very preppy, Mt. Vernon more eclectic, depends what you are into. You can take the "Circulator" (Free Hybrid Bus) to campus from Both Neighborhoods.

May be tough to walk to UMD from Mt. Vernon, you can walk to UMD from anywhere in Fed Hill, but Otterbein and the Nothern part of Fed Hill, North of Cross St., will make your walk easier. Many people take bikes to get to UMD as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
Federal Hill and Mt. Vernon areas are quite safe (by Baltimore standards, anyway). Not a whole lot of drug activity or violence- lots of car break-ins, tho'. Franklin and Park is less safe with more drugs and gang bangers. All are certainly walkable to UMB.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Federal Hill and Mt. Vernon areas are quite safe (by Baltimore standards, anyway). Not a whole lot of drug activity or violence- lots of car break-ins, tho'. Franklin and Park is less safe with more drugs and gang bangers. All are certainly walkable to UMB.

I walk by the corner of Franklin and Park practically every day. Never had an issue and certainly not an area I would describe as having drugs and gang bangers. Go west young man.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I walk by the corner of Franklin and Park practically every day. Never had an issue and certainly not an area I would describe as having drugs and gang bangers. Go west young man.
Not too likely. I could find drugs on the walk to UMB from Franklin and Park, as the most direct route involves passing Pennsylvania Ave. and Lexington Mkt.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Not too likely. I could find drugs on the walk to UMB from Franklin and Park, as the most direct route involves passing Pennsylvania Ave. and Lexington Mkt.
I usually walk up Park Avenue on my way to the Bolton Hill area from Baltimore Street. I've never had an issue on Park near Franklin or any other intersection along the way.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 32,317 times
I'm going to piggyback off of this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm kinda looking for the same thing, although I'm a bit older (early 30s). Single, looking for bars, restaurants, etc. but nothing too young/loud. I've spent a bit of time in Baltimore and like Canton/Fells point, but am looking at Mt. Vernon and maybe Hampden as well. I also would not be bringing a car with me, so within walking distance to groceries/bars/restaurants is important, as well as a decent bus commute (I'd be working in Greenmount/Charles Village area). Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore