Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM

755 posts, read 675,625 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from a Phoenix suburb to Maryland; preferably, right smack between D.C. and Balt. Here in Phoenix, I have a wonderful home and neighborhood, great schools and it is extremely safe, but with that said, I am bored to death (NOOOOOOOOO CULTURE!!). I like the subs and all, but I have been here for six years (moved from LA after 20 yrs) and I think I am missing out on something.

My daughter is graduating high school and my other daughter is almost one, so I have an opportunity to move. I have plenty of equity in my house and I am planning on renting it out while I test Baltimore. I will rent a house there for what I get in rent here. I am a teacher and FB coach, my wife is an RN.

I believe city data is a fantastic place for information, unfortunately I have read predominately horrific posts concerning Baltimore. I visited there once in 2002, the harbor was nice and outside of downtown was ugh....but that is the case with most cities; also made the short commute to D.C. each day (was there for the weekend).

My question is, would I not enjoy living in a Balt/DC suburb with my family, because Baltimore is "becoming Detroit?" Am I in fantasy land believing that I can enjoy all of D.C. down the street, Philly and NY up the road for a weekend trip; the Harbor and downtown for a Sat afternoon; parks, museums, hiking trails, bike trails, and summer festivals in D.C., not to mention a short drive to Virginia beach on a summer afternoon in July (driving from PHX to LA a lot makes EVERYTHING a short drive), what the heck am I missing?

So what gives, am I dreaming or are there a lot of bitter residents who do not know how to enjoy life?

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
I grew up in Baltimore, but now live in Raleigh, NC (recently named best city in the universe, or some such thing). In my opinion, Baltimore is a fascinating place. A surprise lurks around every corner (most good, a few bad). By comparison, Raleigh is so boring that it puts you to sleep in the middle of the day.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,444 times
Yes, you are dreaming. You asked.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Yes, you are dreaming. You asked.

Do you live there, or are you displaying your humor? Serious. If Baltimore/DC (Maryland) suburbs stink that bad, then no need to move there. I will wait on a few more posters, preferable family people.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I grew up in Baltimore, but now live in Raleigh, NC (recently named best city in the universe, or some such thing). In my opinion, Baltimore is a fascinating place. A surprise lurks around every corner (most good, a few bad). By comparison, Raleigh is so boring that it puts you to sleep in the middle of the day.

Lol, like Phoenix without the heat, plus the humidity. Thanks

Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
I love Baltimore, I've lived here 12 years, never had a problem, everyone I know has never had a problem. Many of the problems are focused around the drug game, which is heavily concentrated in parts of East and West Baltimore.

Baltimore and Detroit couldn't be more opposite. Detroit is a seriously struggling city, Baltimore is improving like crazy. Baltimore has lost some population, but has had huge gains in young educated people, and empty nesters, so many of the people leaving we are better off without, or they people have moved just outside the City. Schools are improving... slowly, and new attractions and restaurants seem to be appearing by the week. If you haven't been here since 2002, it is a much different downtown now, with many more projects upcoming.

The square miles of Phoenix is over 5 times that of Baltimore City. So if Baltimore was even half that big, you would see a place that is very affluent, rich, and the crime rates, would probably be lower than most cities.

If you are looking for a great City Neighborhood. I would recommend Federal Hill/Locust Point or Roland Park/Homeland or Mt. Washington. Each area has very good Elementary and Middle School's, and in the 13 years before you need to send your youngest to HS, thing may be very different, or you could move at that point. Each area is extremely safe with tons of character.

If you are looking for Suburbs with great character I recommend Catonsville, Towson, Linthicum, Severna Park and Ellicott City

Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
My question is, would I not enjoy living in a Balt/DC suburb with my family, because Baltimore is "becoming Detroit?" Am I in fantasy land believing that I can enjoy all of D.C. down the street, Philly and NY up the road for a weekend trip; the Harbor and downtown for a Sat afternoon; parks, museums, hiking trails, bike trails, and summer festivals in D.C., not to mention a short drive to Virginia beach on a summer afternoon in July (driving from PHX to LA a lot makes EVERYTHING a short drive), what the heck am I missing?

So what gives, am I dreaming or are there a lot of bitter residents who do not know how to enjoy life?

Thanks for the input

I lived in baltimore city from 1986 to 1992, when I moved to Northern Virginia for work. Our kid is now in college, and I work in DC and we are thinking of moving back to Baltimore City (among other options).

The maryland suburbs have their pluses and minuses. Probably more expensive than phoenix, and colder winters, and more humidity. But convenient to the wealth of wonderful things in DC as well to the stuff in baltimore. There are a number of nice areas in between - I like Columbia, MD.

Baltimore City is not becoming Detroit afaict. When we lived there Baltimore was a mix of yuppies downtown and near the harbor, poor, working and middle class blacks, and working class and middle class ethnic whites. From what I can gather the non yuppie whites have continued their exodus to the suburbs, and so the city has become more african american (in striking contrast to DC, by the way). However the yuppie areas downtown have continued to expand and develop, albeit not as fast as some might have hoped. From what I can gather the areas near Bolton Hill, Charles Village, and Reservoir hill are only marginally more developed than they were in 1992. However the areas closer to the harbor - Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill, South Baltimore are more "gentrified" than they were.

as far as the region overall - yes, the distances are short. OTOH traffic tends to be heavy, and that needs to be taken into account. The whole east coast is relatively pricey compared to Phoenix I think - though NYC and DC are the highest cost poles. Also there are non driving options to get around - amtrak is fast but pricey, various new style bus services offer slower but very cheap access to NYC.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I am considering moving from a Phoenix suburb to Maryland; preferably, right smack between D.C. and Balt. Here in Phoenix, I have a wonderful home and neighborhood, great schools and it is extremely safe, but with that said, I am bored to death (NOOOOOOOOO CULTURE!!). I like the subs and all, but I have been here for six years (moved from LA after 20 yrs) and I think I am missing out on something.

My daughter is graduating high school and my other daughter is almost one, so I have an opportunity to move. I have plenty of equity in my house and I am planning on renting it out while I test Baltimore. I will rent a house there for what I get in rent here. I am a teacher and FB coach, my wife is an RN.

I believe city data is a fantastic place for information, unfortunately I have read predominately horrific posts concerning Baltimore. I visited there once in 2002, the harbor was nice and outside of downtown was ugh....but that is the case with most cities; also made the short commute to D.C. each day (was there for the weekend).

Thanks for the input
First of, Baltimore is in no way comparable to Detroit. BMore, while perhaps a bit more rough around the edges than you might expect, is also not as bad as you are probably thinking.

Honestly, I would avoid the suburbs. I do not understand why anyone would want to live in one. Snoozers! With that, I moved down here from Boston, and currently reside in a suburb...Columbia. Columbia, like all the suburbs I have seen around BMore and DC, are all the same: single family housing, apartment buildings here and there, and the same, bland, chain stores and restaurants you find all over the country. The only difference with Columbia is that there is actually a good mix of people racially/ethnically here than in a typical suburb...but it is still just homogonized none-the-less.

I would suggest checking out Mt. Vernon, Fells Point, Charles Village, Canton, Prospect Park and a few other neighborhoods in Baltimore before considering a suburb. I mean, if you are bored in your current suburb, you will be bored here, too.

If you are bent on not living in Baltimore, perhaps check out Annapolis. Maybe a little out of the way, but not by much.

Also, everybody hates Grammer Nazis, but I must ask: how is your daughter graduating high school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I grew up in Baltimore, but now live in Raleigh, NC (recently named best city in the universe, or some such thing). In my opinion, Baltimore is a fascinating place. A surprise lurks around every corner (most good, a few bad).
Eh, Boston laid claim to being the Hub of the Universe decades ago. A title I doubt will be given up easily.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I do not understand why anyone would want to live in one. Snoozers! With that, I moved down here from Boston, and currently .

for the OP I could think of three reasons

1. Some folks just prefer the suburban lifestyle - even some empty nesters want a SFH on a quarter acre. While there are some places in Baltimore city you could find that, the tradeoffs might still leave a suburb looking better (note well, I myself prefer an urban lifestyle)

2. OP is a teacher/coach. he might get a better job offer in the suburbs. In which case he might not want to bother with the reverse commute, depending on how much he likes the city

3. He seems interested in proximity to DC. Ellicott City, Columbia, etc are closer to DC than Baltimore is.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
First of, Baltimore is in no way comparable to Detroit. BMore, while perhaps a bit more rough around the edges than you might expect, is also not as bad as you are probably thinking. I got that from the posters.

Honestly, I would avoid the suburbs. I do not understand why anyone would want to live in one (Family Friendly). Snoozers! With that, I moved down here from Boston, and currently reside in a suburb...Columbia. Columbia, like all the suburbs I have seen around BMore and DC, are all the same: single family housing, apartment buildings here and there, and the same, bland, chain stores and restaurants you find all over the country. The only difference with Columbia is that there is actually a good mix of people racially/ethnically here than in a typical suburb...but it is still just homogonized none-the-less.

I would suggest checking out Mt. Vernon, Fells Point, Charles Village, Canton, Prospect Park and a few other neighborhoods in Baltimore before considering a suburb. I mean, if you are bored in your current suburb, you will be bored here, too. Phoenix is a suburb, you can drive 20 mins to DC or Baltimore for action, I hope. I am not bored in the suburb, I am bored when I want to go to events. Outside of hiking in Phoenix....smh

If you are bent on not living in Baltimore, perhaps check out Annapolis. Maybe a little out of the way, but not by much. Thanks

Also, everybody hates "Grammer?" Nazis, but I must ask: how is your daughter graduating high school? My daughter will graduate this spring. I forget everyone is an English major and we have to proof everything or your grammar becomes the focal point and not your OP.

Eh, Boston laid claim to being the Hub of the Universe decades ago. A title I doubt will be given up easily.
Thanks for the good advice. I will take a trip to some of the suburbs....BTW I like it quiet now that I am older. I partied in LA 5-6 days a week while in my 20's, been there......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore