Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM

50 posts, read 161,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurus75 View Post
You can survive here. But living here and not being robbed, mugged, or broken into probably means being more than just aware and city savvy like you prob are in NYC. It means living in a constant state of high alert knowing that danger lives on ever corner. Good area or not. Do the research first.
Laurus75, as I said in another post, your work as a teacher needs to be better recognized. I can't disagree more, though, that one has to live in a constant state of alert, nor is there danger on every corner. These statements are hyperbole, and you may get brief relief by venting your frustration. I can't help but think that, as an intelligent person, you would recognize that if you let this attitude deepen it will cloud your experience here, and eventually lead you to the kind of mindless explosions of frustration that seem far too common in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 161,250 times
Default beautiful

At the moment, 85 degrees, 20% humidity in beautiful Baltimore. Here we are, enjoying oysters and beer in Fells Point at Shuckers right off the harbor. It's as sunny as can be, with a cool breeze off the water. We were just saying last night while having sushi at Nick's in Cross Street Market. Earlier in the day, we enjoyed a rejuvenating retreat in Charles Village. We feel so grateful to be able to live here.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
I had a terrific weekend at the cafe -- today is gorgeous, and I'm getting ready to do all of the housework so I can enjoy my day off tomorrow. I might walk downtown to the harbor or go up to Charles Village...who knows. But I'm damn sure happy that I live here.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM

35 posts, read 183,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Baltimore is not bad at all. Much of the city is a lot different than what you see on "The Wire." (Which is still an excellent, excellent show by the way) My little sister is 22 and lives in the heart of Canton. She absolutely loves the neighborhood and says everything she needs is close by, within walking distance.

She does have a car, but only uses it to go visit my parents in Calvert County. She says she could otherwise just as easily live without a car there.
Canton is NOTHING like the rest of Baltimore City. You can't say Baltimore is not bad based on living in the only crime-free, all-white, yuppie neighborhood Canton. Try telling your sister to head north of Patterson Park, by Heritage High (Lake Clifton High School) area and tell me it's not bad. Or head to Odonnel Heights and Brooklyn and tell them their lives aren't hard. Or head up through North Avenue to Park Heights avenue with a couple buddies saying that. I mean what are you seriously thinking? Do you live in the county or something? I know Baltimore has nice neighborhoods but to say it doesn't have bad ones is absurd.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtheman07 View Post
Canton is NOTHING like the rest of Baltimore City. You can't say Baltimore is not bad based on living in the only crime-free, all-white, yuppie neighborhood Canton. Try telling your sister to head north of Patterson Park, by Heritage High (Lake Clifton High School) area and tell me it's not bad. Or head to Odonnel Heights and Brooklyn and tell them their lives aren't hard. Or head up through North Avenue to Park Heights avenue with a couple buddies saying that. I mean what are you seriously thinking? Do you live in the county or something? I know Baltimore has nice neighborhoods but to say it doesn't have bad ones is absurd.
There are many neighborhoods besides Canton that offer a decent, friendly place to live.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM

485 posts, read 1,952,917 times
There are parts of Baltimore the Devil wouldn't go into after dark.

Luckily, you have no business there, and no reason to go.

Downtown, Fell's Point, the Harbor....safe during the day, and fairly well patrolled at night.

Otherwise, ask yourself, "Is this trip nesscessary?"

Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM

156 posts, read 786,874 times
Canton is great, especially for a young person. Plenty of night life, BSSC softball, kickball, etc. It pays to walk the city with friends and in Canton you'll have plenty.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 PM

21 posts, read 89,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurus75 View Post
You can survive here. But living here and not being robbed, mugged, or broken into probably means being more than just aware and city savvy like you prob are in NYC. It means living in a constant state of high alert knowing that danger lives on ever corner. Good area or not. Do the research first.
So true. I went to school @ Loyola - 3,000ish students, most girls from Jersey who, I'm sure, have spent their fair share of time in NYC, without anything bad happening to them, but they come here, think they're paying enough attention and then they get mugged... I feel safer in NYC as well... I think its partially because neighborhoods in NYC are more distinct and there are so many more people that there that it's less likely that you'll find yourself wandering alone down a street.

As long as you pay attention to what's going on though, and listen when people tell you where not to go, you should be fine.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,557 times
I am a 25 year old female who has lived in this city most of my life, but on my own for the past 7 years. Those 7 I spent in Mt. Vernon, and recently purchased my first home in Patterson Park. Of course you should always be aware of your surroundings anywhere, and most importantly not make yourself a target, but I have NEVER had a bad experience being alone in this city. I have walked home from my car late at night, walked to the store late at night. I realize I'm not sounding like the most cautious girl, but just in case I carry my mace, almost never carry a purse, and never look like I don't know what I'm doing and where I'm going. If you look vulnerble, criminals will notice. Don't be scared of the neighborhood bums and stragglers as they are of no harm whatsoever, and I even made "friends" with one in Mt. Vernon. He looked after me, my house, and my car. I threw him a few bucks now and again, but it was worth it. Overall, not myself or any of my girlfriends or anyone I know period has ever come in contact with any violent crime. Yes, your car WILL get broken into, maybe even more than once, but Baltimoreans pretty much mind their own business. Bad things generally happen to people involved in bad things. You can't spend your life worrying about random acts of violence. I truly believe that your chances of getting held up or carjacked or something in this city is just as likley as getting hit by a bus. And in Baltimore maybe the bus drivers do run a few more red lights than they should...thats why you just need to look both ways.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM

485 posts, read 1,952,917 times
Queen E you are wise beyond your years.

Living in the city means being alert-and the city is not a patch on what it used to be.

Stay alert, stay mobile and keep away from anything you suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore